Voyager Face-Off: Tuvok vs. Tom

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Tachyon, Feb 19, 2009.

?

In my opinion, better character is...

1. Tom

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Tuvok

27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another Voyager survey - this time it's the face-off of two excellent men. And the question is...

Who do you like better - Tuvok or Tom?

(Or who do you dislike less, if you rather want us to believe that you dislike things about Voyager more than actually like (i.e. still being in the closet with your love of Voyager, even though being on this very forum is actually your quilty pleasure visible to anyone here).) ;)

2. es!

es! Commander Red Shirt

Tom is great for comedy in ff, but aside from that he's...well...just a flyboy.

Tuvok is a sore spot of J/Cers (lol) but I like Tim Russ' Vulcan very much. He always managed to steal the show from the others! hehe

3. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Tom, at least in the first couple of seasons, is a more interesting character than Tuvok so I voted for him, but I can't say either are particular favourites of mine.

4. voyagerfan

voyagerfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like them both so I can't vote

5. Gorf

Gorf Commander Red Shirt

Definitely Tom for me. :)

6. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Tuvok has the advantage of being twice as old/experienced/interesting as Tom - this may not be a quite fair fight! That said as fun as these polls are; do they encourage some people (who may already have an axe to grind w/ Voy) an opening best left shut?

Last, in Tom's defense he turns into a flyboy who is also a great human being!

7. TMara

TMara Commodore Commodore

Tuvie rules! :angel:

8. Gates

Gates Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Tuvok :D

9. Tachyon

Ouch. Tuvok is kicking some flyboy's hiny here. Lol.

10. trilbymonkey

trilbymonkey Lieutenant Red Shirt

i prefer Tuvok :techman:

11. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I like them both but had to vote for Tuvie.

12. The Sneeze Police

The Sneeze Police Captain Captain

I liked Tuvok right out of the gate, but Tom grew on me.

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Tuvok more, but I think Tom was more compellingly written, so I vote Tom.

14. leola

leola Lieutenant Red Shirt

I voted Tom, though I like them both. To me, Tuvok didn't change much over the run of the show. Tom was allowed to show more aspects of his personality and changed from Season one to seven. Not sure that really means I like him more, but I thought he was more interesting of the two, so he got my vote.

15. Tachyon

I like them both too. Tom is great. But I have a soft spot for Tuvie. :)

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I, too, voted Tuvok. Tim Russ was awesome in this role. I don't dislike Tom, but most of the time I really got the feeling his character wasn't flashed out as much as it could have been.

17. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another vote for Tuvok. I get the impression that Tim Russ gave us the most "Vulcan" Vulcan we've seen, and although he was rarely given the limelight, he did an amazing job in conveying emotions of a character who keeps them very well hidden.

I like Tom, but Tuvok just edges him out.

Also - Tom only had a food fight with Neelix. Tuvok did the sensible thing and strangled him (repeatedly I imagine) in the holodeck. Bonus points for him :p

18. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I dislike Tom Paris with a flaming vengeance that can only be matched by a million Ragnaroses. He doesn't have a single redeeming quality that I like and his voice is so cringe worthy. He's not awesome, he's just annoying.

Ya, definitely put me on the Tuvok wagon!

19. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I voted for Tuvok, although I like both characters very much - at least during the first 4-5 seasons of the show.

I felt that Tuvok was one of the characters whose development suffered most due to B&B's fixation with Seven and the EMH in later seasons. However, I still really love Tuvok. And Tim Russ's portrayal was flawless. IMO, he gave us the best Vulcan in Trek, outside of Nimoy himself.

On the Tom Paris side, I actually prefered him in the earlier seaons, when he still had some rebel in him. He was not as interesting once he'd been domesticated. And we got screwed out of a resolution of his father issues in the finale, which annoyed me. But I really liked him in the early seasons...and I quite enjoyed RDM's portrayal as well...although it was not quite up to the level of Tim Russ.

20. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I voted for Tuvok. He was intereresting some of the time while Paris was rather bland.