Samuel L. Jackson Wants to Return as a One-Handed or Ghost Mace Windu

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cooleddie74, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Re: Samuel L. Jackson Wants to Return as a One-Handed or Ghost Mace Wi

[​IMG]

Damn. Got ninja'd while making the pic.

As far as the OP goes, I wouldn't be particularly bothered if he showed up, but I'd prefer if he didn't because the character wasn't that impressive or interesting and I'd rather have them develop new characters than bring back insignificant old ones.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Except they don't have the rights to the OT. That wasn't part of the deal. Those rights are still with FOX.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

Like the changes or not (and some of them suck the hind end of an unwashed Bantha....Greedo shooting first? A CGI Dug from the Prequels walking through Jabba's Palace late at night? Vader screaming "NOOOOOO" before throwing the Emperor to his death? Screw those) Lucas won't budge on them and the closest we'll probably get to the original, unaltered Trilogy being on disc in the foreseeable future are the bonus DVDs included with the 2006 releases of the films.

I'd love to see Han shoot first again but if stripping the films of all their recent changes means losing, say, the much better Ian McDiarmid Emperor hologram from Empire or "Victory Celebration" from the very end of Jedi then I say we'll just have to lovingly go back to our older VHS tapes and DVDs and enjoy the unaltered Trilogy there. Lucas isn't going to change things back so we might as well stop fretting over that here and now.

4. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think eventually we'll see the unaltered versions released again, but it'll be a while. I figure eventually Disney will get all rights in-house, but they just released the blu-ray sets last year. They won't be looking to release another box set until at least 2014 to hype up the sequel trilogy.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm more convinced of this as well, having watched "The People vs. George Lucas" on Netflix last night. Entrenched on both sides, no one budging, probably won't, either.

I have my 2004 Double DVD Trilogy set (Original and SE), and I'm happy.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

While many of us can't stand the changes George made to the OT, he did do a very commendable service to what in many circles is the least-loved film in the Saga.

I've said it in other forums in the last year or two, but the original Frank Oz puppet from The Phantom Menace just looked wrong. It was just wonky. It's hard to believe that the 1999 puppet and the Yoda we love so much from Empire and Jedi are one and the exact same character.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KH1GOFUCHk[/yt]

Not only does the BluRay Episode I Yoda look a hundred times better but now he matches his appearances in the two other prequels, making things in that Trilogy a lot more consistent.

We can debate the other changes Lucas foisted on us starting in 1997 but this one....the people I've spoken to who prefer the Episode I puppet I could count on one hand with one or two fingers left to spare.

7. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Sam as much as the next fan, but Mace was as much of a disappointment as Darth Maul -- cool look, cool lightsaber, no story. *sigh* I wish I cared if he was back, but I really don't.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Lucas does not like acting apparenty, that"s why got off easy. I think he was doing his best with a director who is not good at giving directions to actors.

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Except he kind of made a similar point about the strangeness of Sam Jackson being in Disney movies earlier in the thread with the post below, which makes it sound serious and not sarcastic. It's hard to tell, hence the pic in my post after Timelord's.

It sort of misses the point that Disney movies (both their own and their subsidiary's films) can be pretty violent and adult-themed at times and feature many "badass" characters as well. Mace Windu is actually mild sauce compared to some Disney characters.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

12. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed - I usually love Sam Jackson - but this character was not the role for him. It was a boring character that did nothing. At all.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

While there is another trilogy coming, it doesn't mean all future Star Wars movies have to be chronological sequels. There can be one-off films. Maybe Samuel L. Jackson can star in one -- The Adventures of Mace Windu Without Being Constricted by George Lucas as a Director.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

It could be called Waiting for Lefty.

15. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I agree. No offense to Sam Jackson, but it would be nice to be able to watch from Episode IV onward and pretend the prequels never happened, only gleaning details from 2nd hand references. Hence nobody even talks about Jar Jar or midichlorians. That way how the prequel history played out can stay in our imaginations.

16. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Ever read Shatterpoint?

17. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

That's the thing though, in Mace's particular instance it doesn't even make sense for him to be dead. Why would a "fall" by someone who's a friggin' master of telekinesis -- like most Jedi are -- be such a guaranteed death sentence? We've seen them fall lots of times and make it out just fine.

Hell, the entire scene was the classic Bond villain bit. "Ah ha, without even remotely checking to see if I succeeded, I have clearly killed Mr. Windu! And even if he survived the fall, which I have no way of knowing of course, I'm sure he's suffering and will die within minutes. I mean, he's a wizard and I threw him out a window, so clearly he must be dead. There's no other possibility for someone with magical powers to survive such a complex and devastating fate. So what if Obi-Wan was falling for a couple miles through traffic not too long ago and made it out without so much as a scratch? Pfft. Irrelevant. I threw a god damned wizard out the god damned window and he's god damned dead, and that's god damned that! In fact, this plan was so flawless I'm totally going to do it if that stupid Yoda guy shows up again. After I make him fall, he'll be dead, too! Mouhahaha..."

18. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

If that's the case, why did the Emperor die in Jedi?

19. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Because he was thrown into a reactor core instead?

Besides, didn't he transfer his consciousness on the way down into some clones or something, at least according to the crap novels?

20. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Or did he? :whistle: