Cowboys & Aliens, the first trailer is here.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Nov 17, 2010.

1. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

actually Im gettting a Trigun vibe myself.:)
    Looks pretty cool, Ill watch!

2. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice shoulders. Nice ass. Nice everything. ;)

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know anything about this movie but it looks interesting. I'll probably see it when it comes out, but it's far off yet.

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Daniel Craig has an extraordinarily fine ass. He has that perfect upside-down triangle shape for a man--wide shoulders, narrow waist, and a very nice ass.

*sigh*

I'll be in my bunk.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems this movie is going to be able to count on a higher than normal female demo.

Ryan Rynolds eat your GL ring off, you've been served.

6. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

What!?! Wait...I'm threatened by all these girls talking about science fiction!

Can we get some Olivia Wilde shots in there, please!?!

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Testosterone boost!!!

[​IMG]

I had a theory. The real Jake Lonergan is on the ship or an alien is impersonating as him.

8. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Not so much about the science fiction. More about Daniel Craig's ass-ets... (see what I did there?:lol:)... which this fine film poster seems intent on displaying for us.

[​IMG]

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

:techman:

10. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Aaaaagh! Girls!

*runs away*

11. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

Just one question. Why is aliens invading the old west any more preposterous than aliens invading the modern day? The answer is that it is not. Its just not a pairing that most people are used to. That's what makes it original.
    I also like the serious tone. Why is it strange to have a serious tone in an alien invasion story. It's not. But people see aliens in the old west and it must be a spoof.:rolleyes:
    I have noticed that people are less likely to accept a movie that crosses genres unless it is a spoof. Then they are happy to go watch the silly movie. I haven't managed to figure out why though.

12. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

hubba hubba!:drool:

13. Trekker4747

Cowboys fighting aliens? Not preposterous. Cowboys having any chance whatsoever fighting aliens? A bit preposterous.

Not that in the grand scheme of things modern-day civilization would have that much greater a chance but at least we've got high-powered ammunition, jets, rockets and nuclear weapons at our disposal. Cowboys have six-shooters.

I'm not agreeing that the idea is preposterous, I think this movie looks like it'll be fun. Just that I can see why it's "more preposterous" than aliens invading present day. Really, the Aliens should be able to make short-work with 19th century humans.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure the anit-alien device Daniel Craig has on his wrist makes it so that the aliens have a bit of a challenge and don't just mow the town over.

15. Samurai8472

In that particular picture she almost looks naked.

I hope she's the next GBOW or maybe she's been one.

16. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

That's valid point, although realistically, unless the aliens were barely able to reach the Earth to invade we shouldn't stand much of a chance either.
    And they they gave him the glowy wrist gun to even the odds a bit.
    Sorry if I came across a bit stuffy but the lack of willingness to accept cross genre sci fi is one of my pet peeves. When Event Horizon came out I thought it was a neat idea. The movie had its flaws, but I enjoyed it. Most of the commentary on it that I saw, however, concentrated on how stupid the idea that a space ship could go to hell. In a similar vein was the movie Doom. A truly bad movie, but the people making were so afraid of cross genre that they decided the marines had to fight ancient martians rather than deal with the scientists opening a portal to hell.
    I think that there are some good ideas out there that never get a fair hearing because of the lack of willingness to consider combos of sci fi and other genres. It comes from both the audience and the filmmakers.

17. Samurai8472

I'm kind of worried. The movie seems to be taking a serious approach akin to "War of the Worlds" but the general audience might assume from the title it will be a funny action adventure movie.

From some comments on other boards people who saw the trailer attached to Harry Potter in the audience called it "stupid" or laughed

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Craig may have a nasty Steve-McQueen-after-a-very-rough-week face but he's definitely got the bod to play a Western hero. Still, I'd loved to have seen what Robert Downey Jr could have done with this role.
    Urg, with that title, they can't do straight-up drama, even if they don't want to turn it into a parody. Either they should have changed the tone or changed the title. The disconnect is going to hurt them.

19. Trekker4747

Keep in mind one of the more popular sci-fi series mentioned in these forums, other than the obvious, featured a heavily western vibe and look while also having a sci-fi setting and premise. And as preposterous as the set-up was it's not often held against the series which is often quite lauded.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Once one sees a trailer the individual can put that idea out of their mind. The trailer clearly shows its not a comedy so if a viewer still goes in with a satirical film expectation that is the individuals fault.

I think the fans of a powerful savior boy wizard need to cool their heels.