VOTE | TOS Avatar Contest #37 | The Immunity Syndrome

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Orac, May 30, 2009.

?

Please vote for TWO avatars!

Poll closed Jun 2, 2009.
  1. [IMG]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww169/cytherians/StarTrek/TOS/humor/Immunity_splat.gif[/IMG]

33.3%
  2. [IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/Jinx01/AVATARS/TREK/TOSis.jpg[/IMG]

6.7%
  3. [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2hej8g2.gif[/IMG]

60.0%
  4. [IMG]http://captaincheesefist.orconhosting.net.nz/images/immunity_syndrome.gif[/IMG]

40.0%
  5. [IMG]http://www.shawcomputing.net/racerx/avatars/avatar-is.gif[/IMG]

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the TOS Avatar Contest voting thread!

Please for [​IMG] two [​IMG] avatars; single votes do not count. Don't vote for yourself. Leaving the names off was intentional, both for space reasons (poll options are limited to 100 characters each) and so people don't swoop in and vote based on name.

Here's the breakdown of names (with the respective avatar to make it easier for you to post who you have voted for):

[​IMG]
    Gary7

[​IMG]
    JINX-01

[​IMG]
    NCC-1701

[​IMG]
    orac

[​IMG]
    Shaw

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Shaw and orac for me, please. :techman:

3. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Pinned.

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Gary7 and NCC-1701 for me, with Shaw deserving an honorable mention. :techman:

5. LNJM906

LNJM906 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Gary7 and NCC-1701 for me as well. =)

6. Michael

Thanks for the win, guys! I will post the new contest tomorrow. :)

(Just a note on this poll: Again there were a lot of people voting for only one instead of two avatars in this contest; although this time it didn't affect the outcome. But please read the rules, folks. We try to be fair here and apply the same rules to every contest. Single votes haven't counted in the past; so they shouldn't now. Or am I too anal about it? What do others think? :()

7. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

People actually vote for only one entry?! I have enough trouble limiting it to TWO!

8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just assumed that in a contest with 5 entries there would be only one vote, since I think it's streching it a bit to be able to vote for 40% of the field, but maybe it's just me. :shifty:

Plus: There always is the chance that someone only likes one entry, so should s/he just randomly chose a second one just to conform to the rules? I think that would screw the vote more than if s/he just voted for the one s/he likes.

9. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

They can vote on the avatar they disliked least in that case.

10. ria 75

ria 75 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My garden, on the other side of the frog pond
    You can't force people to vote for two if they only want to vote for one. Nowhere else on the board is there such a rule. The rule is that the number of votes you get is proportional to a minimum number of entries. I am not sure of the exact number, but what I am sure of is that for 5 entries, you only vote for one. It is supposed to reduce the risk of a tie.

Voting for more than one also fails to designate the #1 favourite a person wishes to vote for.

Example: in a VOY av contest, where everybody has 2 votes, in the episode category, I am entering a beauty shot of space. Everybody else is entering characters. Almost everybody give one vote for a character, and one vote for my beauty shot. In a one vote situation, would I have won? I'm not so sure. (Although it was an original and beautiful avatar.)

It is also not right to make a rule and then enfore it in an inconsistent way. Not that I disapprove of the tolerance in this particular contest.

If you want less voters and entrants to participate in your contests, keep making up rules like that and enforcing them at your convenience. You're sure to win if you're the only entrant(s). :p

11. Michael

No, I agree, one vote might have been enough for only five entries. I can't speak for orac here (who set up this poll), but personally I never know when to go with one vote or two. Where exactly is the cut-off?

Yeah, I never really looked at it that way. I pretty much always like more than one entry. And in the rare case that I do like only one, I do what apenpaap suggests here ...
    Which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid here! You almost make it sound like we're changing the rules every other contest or applying them differently every time. No, that is most definitely not the case. The rules have been the same since I took over this contest over a year ago. Which is why I started this inquiry in the first place. I'm not sure myself if it is the right way to go. And seeing now that some feel the You Must Vote For Two rule is rather nonsensical, I'm seriously thinking about changing it. The thing is, I don't want to change the rules at will. I want to ask everyone. Because this isn't really my contest. Nor is it orac's. It belongs to us all. And it is meant to be fun. Which brings us back to the reason why I originally asked about this. I wanted you guys to decide. :)

So, if the consensus is that we should modify the rules, then this is what we'll do. :)

12. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I think that there should be an upper limit on votes but if someone really wants to vote for just one... that ought to be a perogative.

13. Orac

Well I usually find it hard to pick just one to vote for, perhaps we should have a poll in the next contest thread to determine what the voting rules should be...

14. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I personally would allow 2 votes in the TNG contest if there were 10 entries in a category (not that there ever would be 10 people entering :sigh: ). But that's just me, I'm not sure that there's a board-wide consensus on what the ratio should be.

15. ria 75

Funny, you're only quoting the part I like the least in my post. ;)
    Sorry, I may have judged a little hastily. I based my observations on the last 2 TOS av contests. :D

I also made this post because of late, I am seeing quite a few av contests across the boards hosted by Orac, maybe several times in a row, with a style of ruling that sounds more authoritative than fun. :(
    Again. If I got this right.
    But thanks for the consultation, and considering a change. :)
    It seems like in Voyager, the minimum for 2 votes allowed is 6 (or 5) entries. Maybe it should be more than 6. Since last time we ended up with a 3-way tie in the episode category.
    In current DS9 av contests, there is only one vote with 6 or 7 entries, and guess what? No ties! :D

:) To conclude, I'd like to add, it's OK to allow 2 votes, even in a 5-entry situation, because voters may not want to choose between their 2 favourites, as long as you don't forbid (and invalidate) voting for less than the maximum allowed. I think this is the way to truly reflect the choices of all voters. :)

In SFF av contests, where there are always more than 15 entrants and 3 votes allowed, newcomers regularly don't notice, and vote for one. Then they admit that at least, they voted for their favourite. And the contest goes on undisturbed. There would be other examples.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  16. Michael

That's a very good idea! I will do that in the next voting thread. I will ask for all of these ...

• Do single votes count when the instructions say you must vote for two?
    • How many entries should there be to warrant more than one vote?
    • Or should we always be able to vote for two?
    I hope this will settle it then. :)

Yeah, sorry about that. To be honest, I was a little puzzled why you made that statement when you say that it doesn't apply to this contest in the next sentence. Why then bring it up in the first place?

So, in order to get my point across I had to trim the portion of your post I was quoting. I didn't like to do that either. But it helped my argument. :D Please don't be mad at me. :)

That's odd. Again, I can't speak for orac and I'm actually not participating in other contests he runs, but he always comes across as a very fair and reasonable guy to me. I don't think that he intends for his contests to be authoritative. I would say fun is his lone motive, too. Even if the cold instruction texts don't always seem to reflect that.

As for this contest, we are usually using the same instruction texts for the contests. So I don't see what would be different with his contests compared to mine.

Don't thank me. As I said, this is in no way my contest. I don't want to make the rules. I just want to implement them, so to speak. And I want to achieve transparency and consistency. Also, I want for all participants to have fun! Actually that's one of the most important things to me regarding these contests. :)

Okay, I can understand that. But what when someone votes for three instead of just two? Should we disregard this person's votes then?

17. ria 75

That sounds about right.
    Disapproving of a rule doesn't preclude disapproving of inconsistency. It makes you wonder why it is enforced in a particular instance, and not in another.

I'm not. :) I bear you no ill will whatsoever. I'm as uncomfortable as you are with these delicate questions. Especially as I am taking on the impopular part of voicing protest. (By protest, I don't mean vehemence. ;))

"Cold", maybe that's the word.
    But... next paragraph. vv And, what do you call someone who collects dozens upon dozens of so-called friends by off-handedly sending them a friend request without so much as 2 words exchanged on board or in PM? When they barely crossed paths.
    Thanks for the honour, orac, but no thanks. We don't have the same definition of TBBS friends. Consulting people in different matters is a good idea, instead of just bargin into contests with new rules and into friends lists, like that. How can people say no? It's awkward.

I don't compare them to yours.
    One thing I can speak of: in SFF av contests, the change of style came abruptly.
    Suddenly, it was decreeted that entries would only be accepted for 72 hours (When until then it had always been 5 days). Although the deadline could be postponed when orac's availability changed. End result was the same but in the meantime, it wasn't so nice or smooth as usual. (And I won't comment on the somewhat obscure choice of themes.)

Of course. It is the the most important thing. I don't mean to sound like I'm taking them too seriously. But sometimes the fun happens to be spoiled.

I thought that was technically impossible if you set the poll for 2 votes.

orac, if that's not too much of an insult, I apologize for those attacks to you and their mostly indirect form. I am not the best diplomat in the world. But I had a few grievances that found an outlet here. (It could have been elsewhere.) Maybe I should content myself with making polite suggestions. But I, too, make big entrances at times.

18. Orac

Ria I am truly sorry if my altering the rules in some contests has caused offence. My brief posts may come across as cold and authoritative but this is usually due to limited time available to post (and a similar lack of diplomatic skills on my own part). If I had taken more time to post the SF/F avatar contest I would have attempted to make it conform more closely to previous contests, I will endeavour to do so in future should I find myself in the position of posting another contest...

I was afraid I might get a response like this from someone after rereading some of my posts, so if I've offended anyone else besides Ria please accept this apology...

To paraphrase a certain Romulan Commander:
    "In another life I could have called you friend." :(

19. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Hopefully you guys will forgive my ignorance here as this is my first contest (that actually finished :eek: )... is there something to be won? I entered because I thought this was supposed to be fun and I had a few minutes to kill. But the fact that everyone is concerned about the rules makes me wonder if I inadvertently joined into something much larger and more serious.

Is there more to this than just having fun displaying fun avatars? Is there something special about winning that makes it better than just sharing what we made with others?

Honestly, I thought the contest was an excuse to share playful avatar ideas with others. :wtf:

20. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

In the ENT avatar contest, we play for the Golden Porthos, but there is nothing to be won here but eternal glory.