Things you thought were stupid on ds9.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mr Pointy Ears, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Drusilla

Drusilla Ensign Red Shirt

Not only that, but it's not as if the Founders were always there, welcoming him with open arms. They were the ones who abandoned him (and the rest of the hundred) to the universe, they often treated him with pity for his attachment to the solids, they turned him into a human, they went to great lengths to deceive him multiple times, and the female Founder left him behind on DS9 when Sisko retook the station.

Not exactly the most welcoming family dynamic to go home to. Though Kira was Odo's primary motivation for staying on DS9, I always figured his reasons for not returning home were more complex.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  2. maquisleader

maquisleader Ensign

Jake Sisko, he looked like an anorexic goof. I was really hoping he'd get killed in the episode with Tuco Sulamanca.

3. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was a dumb episode.

4. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The episode was shit (as most Jadzia episodes were). However, Rene Auberjonois' acting was phenomenal. Really the saving grace of the episode.

5. Warbird

Warbird Ensign Newbie

The way they killed off Kurn (Worf's brother) or rather erased his memory because Gowron and Worf became enemies after Worf refused to join the attack on Cardassia. But later became friends again through general Martok.

They could have had some really good episodes with Kurn during the dominion war.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The memory wipe starts to break down and he gets flashes of his previous life, in a way that terrifies him as he begins to wonder if he is some kind of Dominion agent. But as his condition worsens, he is drawn to DS9, where he believes he has to take out the man who fills his thoughts: Lieutenant Commander Worf...

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Nice

8. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

When this episode aired, I just KNEW we'd be seeing Kurn again in a manner very much like what you describe. Especially since we have been told before that Klingon physiology is very good at healing itself. I wonder if this was the plan, but that they just couldn't make it work with Tony Todd...

9. KMCarr

KMCarr Guest

That the other Founders looked just like Odo (hair, face, ears). I mean, come on, 'see Odo, this is how you do ears, just how long is it going to take you to figure it out?'

The space station was evacuated way too many times. If you did that in real life, the space station would never have anyone coming there because it's always being evacuated.

DS9 didn't seem to be very deep space since it never seemed to take anyone very long to get there from anywhere else (like Earth for example).

Jadzia was supposed to be the most sought-after woman on DS9 and yet guys never seemed to pursue her except for Bashir.

The admiral in the last season seemed to always be subordinate to Sisko.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  10. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand this complaint. I stand. My distant ancestors are called homo erectus--man who is upright. Yet no one thinks I must necessarily have perfect posture, or stand incessantly for more than twenty hours. No one thinks less of me if I take cars or trains rather than walk, or don't enter marathons. Humans must learn and perfect skills, even those that are arguably common. It could hold true for other intelligent beings.

11. KMCarr

KMCarr Guest

Even though all humans have the same basic physical attributes, we do manage to have a lot of variety so that we don't all look alike. Why not have some changelings be good at ears and noses and have different hair or skin color? It would have saved a lot on time in the makeup chair. I think it would have been funnier if Odo could be a little different in every single episode. Giving himself some Feringi features just to creep Quark out would have been fun.

From a theatrical standpoint, of course, Trek had to give all members of any specific species the same attributes so that you didn't have to spend time trying to figure out which was which but the changelings could certainly have had more variety, ipso facto.

12. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

We do see variance in those abilities, from the Female Founder and the shapeshifters in the Earth episodes; between Odo and Laas; between Odo and his older self; and between Odo and the Female Shapeshifter. Indeed, we see that Odo can only replicate the form of the Female Founder when she was sick, whereas as could take on Kira's appearance.

13. doctorfoto

doctorfoto Commodore Commodore

Who says a Founder's ears need to have little folds in them? Or that their faces lack detail? Maybe to a Founder, that's all the detail they ever want to have - or are supposed to. Odo felt bad because he was judging his face by Bajoran standards, but for a Founder, he got it spot-on, probably because that's the face that came naturally to him.

14. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1. Mirror Universe- Crossover was fine but the writers didn't really need additional MU episodes. It just seemed gratuitous (and they got really bad by the end).
    2. Ferengi development- Most of the Ferengi eps were junk. I think that "The Magnificent Ferengi" was the only one that was halfway decent/tolerable. Their send off in "The Dogs of War" was o.k. too. Profit & Lace on the other hand? Bleh.
    3. The command structure, esp. when the Defiant was involved was extremely confusing. Also, who was in charge of the station when all of the senior staff were out running around on the Defiant. Seems like they were lucky that not much ever happened to DS9 while everybody was away. Even on B5 they didn't have the entire senior crew away on the White Star every five seconds for a contrived reason.
    4. Dukat (post SOA)- Dukat was one of the best well-written villains in DS9 until after Ziyal was killed. Everything went downhill character development-wise after that. It's like the writers just didn't know where to go with him.
    5. Pagh Wraiths- I guess that one would have to assume that where there are benevolent gods, there would necessarily have to be malevolent ones as well but the concept was never handled particularly well IMHO.

15. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And they missed the perfect opportunity to bring back Terry Farrell for The Emperor's New Cloak. I think she expressed some interest in coming back for that. I liked the earlier episodes, but they definitely wore out their welcome when they did the mirror Bareil episode.

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Some consistancy here would've been good. It started off with Kira as XO without any bother, then after Worf came onboard she gave up the position to him--even when she was on the bridge--except in the S6 finale, when she takes command to lead the attack on the Chin'toka power station, whilst Worf is sitting right there. Personally I'd follow Kira before I did Worf.

The station is a big place, with a lot of people onboard. There could've been an unseen Militia Captain who took charge when everyone else was unavailable, or maybe a Lieutenant Commander who took watch. We never knew of Lt. Commander Greta Vanderwick until she was murdered.

Comparing DS9 to B5! Go and wash your mouth out :lol:

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The Founders only looked like that to make Odo comfortable. Nobody really cared for mimicking humanoids unless they intended to replace specific ones, and the only reason Female Changeling appeared in humanoid form in the later episodes was to make the audience aware of who she was. It might have been better for the scenes where FC is only around Vorta and Cardassians for her to have appeared as some sort of scary looking monster for intimidation purposes. But then the audience wouldn't have been able to identify the emotion she's expressing as easily.

18. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was re-watching Playing God the other day. I'm not saying none of the main cast should not have been pro destroying the micro-universe, but I always felt that given her religious views etc, that it would not have been Kira who would have advocated it's destruction. Odo, or perhaps O'Brien, maybe, but not Kira. Indeed, at one point towards the end, Odo is at the opposite end of the debate to Kira, with Kira being the far more coldly practical of the two.

19. Echtzeit

Echtzeit Lieutenant

I absolutely hated the episode when Dukat and Evie Garland had a child on Empok Nor. Dukat forming a pah-wraith cult on Empok Nor was by far the most stupid thing on DS9.