Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or as time goes on, you kinda forget that the past and the future are not happening at the same time. Spock should have been able to make that comment before the movie came out and before the script to that movie was written, so it hardly matters when the film was in the cinema with respect to the tv show.

(The TV show was 3 or 4 years old when it aired down here, and movies were only a year old.)

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Or when Next Gen visited DS9 in "Birthright"... or when Voyager visited DS9 in "Caretaker"... or when Picard and the Enterprise visited DS9 in "Emissary"... or when Riker and Troi and the Ent-D were in "These Are The Voyages"...

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tv on TV is hardly the same as TV on movies.

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL--okay, okay, I concede that Star Trek is a poor example.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Thor was gone for at least two days after the battle. "The Well" could've taken place after the battle but before he returned.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, I get the impression it was somewhat later than that. I think the idea was that the events of the film's climax inspired the neo-pagan hate group to research the staff and track it down, something that would've taken more than two days. It would be quite a coincidence if they'd already been looking for it before the Greenwich attack and just happened to find it a day or two afterward.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

But the members themselves had been in the hunt for quite a long time. We never heard their stated motivation, just what Coulson said. Certainly they didn't start from scratch after the events in Thor or else this would have taken place years afterwards. The events in the movie could have influenced their time to act, but I doubt it caused them to set their whole plan in motion.

I was also discussing how long Thor was gone. I figured it was at least two days and I could see it having been upwards of a week. In other words, enough time to fit these events in.

8. Christopher

^No, of course their cause already existed, but there should have been some way in which the events of the movie inspired them to act now, because it would be silly if it just coincidentally happened a day or two after the movie.

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

maybe they found an artifact that got dropped on earth during the crisis. Some sort of Asgardian GPS receiver or something that helps pin point the staff.

10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm...sidebar question: is there a screencap of the two lead hatemongers' SHIELD profile as shown aboard the Bus?

11. Alidar Jarok

Still, that means it's entirely possible for the events of the episode (which take place over a couple days at most) to occur before Thor returned.

12. Christopher

^No, you miss my point. These specific events, the decision to actually track down and retrieve the scepter rather than just talking about it on Twitter or something, were probably inspired by the Greenwich attack; but after that attack it would've taken time to get mobilized and do the work and make the travel arrangements and actually get to Norway and locate the tree based on the poem in the legend. I just don't see that all happening in under 48 hours.

13. DEWLine

Unless our two lead hatemongers were already in Norway and close enough to that park for whatever reasons. One more reason why I'd like that screencap of their SHIELD profiles: it might include citizenship info on the perps.

Granted that it's not essential info, and given the EU's lack of internal travel restrictions, it might even obscure the facts...but it seems a good idea to ask.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Here.

Nothing particularly revealing there, but check out the web-chatter from Nystrom's followers. Something pretty funny included amongst the bile... :lol:

15. DEWLine

Oooo. Yeah, this is what I've been looking for.

And oh yeah. *chuckle* The would-be equestrian is actually getting something useful and productive done while everyone else on that message board is going on with their screeding!

16. DEWLine

Also, reminders hidden in those suspect profiles of what's being done in the States - elsewhere too, perhaps? - re: library research being tracked.

Could SHIELD do that sort of tracking without even bothering to get the kind of warrant being talked about under the United States' USA PATRIOT Act (to use one of the better-known examples of such legislation), simply hacking into the libraries' servers and tap right into the relevant databases?

Probably.

17. DEWLine

Flitting back through those archives for a moment, we can possibly place the fictional town of Wrigley, PA from "F.Z.Z.T." in Huntingdon County. We have a map.

Although it does look as if actual Pennsylvania locations are mixed in with a few from Mexico and Argentina...?

18. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, what's with the Spanish?

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

And note the comment, "All those who choose to oppose us must YIELD." I wonder how many people recognize that. :rommie:

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Agents of SHIELD: 1x10 "Repairs"