Batman: Arkham Knight: Same Bat-Game, Same Bat-Developer!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RoJoHen, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I'd be pissed if I were nVidia. This was supposed to be their big showcase for the Gameworks technology, and yet the graphics of the PC version are well below the console versions.

From what I've read, Iron Galaxy was given a mere 8 weeks to turn out the port. For a game of this size and complexity, there's no way that was enough time.

Some have seen fit to blame the developers but it was ultimately WB's decision to put out a broken PC port. They could have decided to give it a few more weeks (or months) to become both stable and complete, and instead they decided to shove a broken product out the door.

This situation has been a great test of the Steam refund feature, at least!

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it the excavator battle by any chance?

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I was really enjoying this game, but some point around the 75% completion mark on the main storyline, the difficulty has ramped up exponentially, and I am tearing my fucking hair out fighting drones and regular watchtower dudes. The watchtower that's killing me is on the second island atop a hospital - I just can't do it. I cleared the third island one after the other, but that one on the second is still foiling me hours after I first tried it.

Also - the "Campaign for Disarmament" Mission on the third island - I gotta fight off 30 of those fucking drones, I have max powered guns but it still takes 3 hits on the larger drones to destroy them, all the while I've got smaller ones around me and flying ones, and those missile drones like to spawn in on bridges above you that you can't reach lest you fail the mission, so that is just fucking diabolical and It's giving me an embolism every time I try it. I once got down to two remaining, but since that attempt I haven't even cracked less than 15.

Also - the subtle QTE's have really fucked me. They've had dozens of them in cutscenes so you can affect the outcome of something, I got to a part that was REALLY dramatic and I absent mindedly mashed Square to hit and...it skipped the cutscene, and something very spoilerish happened and I missed it. Fucking great.

AND ALSO - Earlier on (i'm on the PS4) when I was attempting that impossible watchtower, it respawned me under the map and I was falling to my death for 15 minutes over and over again. I reloaded and it still happened - I had to quit out the game and reload from scratch before it spawned me properly.

So yeah, It's a pretty great game, but the difficulty curve has ramped up almost exponentially, and the Batmobile is a fucking bitch to drive sometimes (ESPECIALLY WHEN THE GAME CHANGES THE F***ING CAMERA ANGLE FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN TO MAKE IT HARDER).

ARGH. This game is starting to piss me off, which is a shame because I was loving it.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

:lol: Maaaaaaybe.

Actually, a break was exactly the thing I needed. I came back to it this afternoon and took care of that boss with very little difficulty.

Aaaaand I just finished the main storyline, which was interesting. There's still so much more to do, though. I saved Catwoman from Riddler, but I can't actually face Riddler until I collect ALL 243 trophies?! Whoever is in charge of Riddler trophies is a goddamn sadist.

I was a little disappointed by the Arkham Knight's reveal, mostly because it ended up being incredibly obvious with the amount of foreshadowing throughout the game. I was hoping it would end up being somebody else.

5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I picked up my preordered copy from the GameStop durin' my lunch break Friday, so I will have the Red Hood DLC, too.

Just gotta get an Xbox One to play it on...

6. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was playing yesterday, grappling to the roof of a building, and nearly jumped out of my skin when

Man-Bat suddenly appeared over the ledge and tried to grab me. I like how they made him look int his game. He legitimately looked like something out of a horror movie. :techman:

I love this game.

I really like looking at all of the little things, looking of references. There's posters for The Ghost in Gray (reference to The Gray Ghost) and for movies starring Basil Carlo (Clayface).

Also, I stumbled upon a computer in the Clock Tower that confims the existence of the Birds of Prey, with an open IM window that explains why they (other than Oracle, of course) aren't helping out Batman in Gotham. Screenshot (not mine). I gotta say, that's pretty bold for Babs to leave her desktop open with an open chat with her superfriend and a freaking Birds of Prey wallpaper! :lol:

You also get the Harley Quinn story DLC, which you should go ahead and play first since it takes place right before the main AK story. It won't take you long, maybe 15-20 minutes.

Yeah, I think you might need one of those. ;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  7. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I have the PC version and I'm glad I got a 960 with 4GB VRAM - I think I'd be screwed otherwise. I do notice some stuttering during cutscenes (and some low-res textures on characters not swapping-in high-res when you get closer) but that's about it.

Certainly playable and enjoyable. The art is pretty amazing when it comes to the city.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And did it scare the shit out of you?! Because it scared the shit out of me! :lol:

9. Corran Horn

I'd seen that spoiled on youtube and enough time had passed that it STILL did it to me.

10. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PTROZmqyJQ[/yt]

The New 52 skin is part of a free DLC pack containing the New 52 skins of Batman, Robin and Nightwing, don't know if it's exclusive to PS4...

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ From what they're saying all the exclusives are going to be released as downloadable content in September.

12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well i just bought this games premium edition for under £18, yes it needs work which i have no doubt WB will do, and considering the game was going for between £60 and £100 i think i got a nice bargain, nice investment, once it gets patched which should not be too long. :)

In a way i would not mind getting all new games and seasons passes for this price, so may the fiasco's continue game wise. :)

I am joking. lol

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

One of the guys at work has offered to sell me his xbox one, used, two controllers & three games for $200. I can trade the games in and get ones I want to play, soon as I take him up on the offer.

14. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that is an great deal. :techman:

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

So i've cooled down from my post game induced rage - I'm at 90.2% completion. I've done everything but the Riddler missions.

Now that I'm near the end, despite some utterly RAGE inducing decisions on part of the games designers (why, why OH WHY does the camera need to leap up 100 meters behind the batmobile in boss battles, slow down the car and make turning incredibly sluggish? I swear I'd have done all those boss battles first time if only the camera didn't suddenly leap back and fuck me) this is probably the best game I've played on next/current gen.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I just finished everything myself, including the Harley Quinn and Red Hood stories. Those were a little disappointing; I was expecting a little more substance to them. Both of them each took maybe 10-15 minutes to complete.

So here I am. The city has been rid of every single bad guy...except Riddler. And there are SO MANY TROPHIES TO FIND! Ugh, this could take me years.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't picked this up yet but it's hard to cut through all the noise regarding the Batmobile and to a lesser extent the PC port. I'm hesitant to pick it up now or wait for it to be discounted in the future.

How do you guys feel this stacks up against the other entries in the series? Have you considered this to be a worthy addition to the Arkham line or at least the full price of admission?

18. Corran Horn

I'd love to know why they do that movie-esque pseudo bullet-time slowdown when you take out an escourt humvee as you're attacking a militia lieutenant's vehicle. It throws the camera off something awful.

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Going back to what I said earlier: It is good but not without its drawbacks -- the Batmobile is really heavily forced upon you and there are far too many "find a way to put the car here" puzzles. Half the fun of Gotham City being an open world is being able to swoop across it, and instead far too often you're forced into driving this rocket-powered tank and blowing up drone tanks. The story is a little unfocused, too, but after the complete mess that was Arkham City's story that shouldn't surprise anyone.

It's a good game. My favorite in the series is still Asylum by a wide margin, but I don't really see Knight as being significantly worse or better than City or Origins, both of which have their pros and cons.

20. Corran Horn

Asylum had a 'horror' factor that the other games haven't (yet, about 40% finished w/ AK) had for me. It was also the first Batman game I'd played where you actually feel the part.

The storyline for AK stacks up well so far, to me. It has the usual conveniences (deserted Gotham, Batmobile) to shore up the story. The drone battles get a little tiresome (particularly when they show up out of nowhere as 'reinforcements' later in the story) but tooling around in the Batmobile and utilizing it in takedowns is pretty fun.