Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE — RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Briet

Briet Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm really looking forward to the book, thank you for writeing it! When can we see your new uniform designes?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

3. star trek

star trek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Avocado green for command! :lol:

4. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just got this book from Barnes & Noble.
    Will be reading it by tomorrow, after I finish Greg Cox: Superman: Man of Steel

5. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh I like that, very nice in-between design, which, pleasingly, feels most strongly like the Kelvin uniform; the way the piping goes across, and the slightly muted colours. I like where you're going with the explanation for the different insignias too.

6. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I like those designs very much. Especially find your interpretation of the various "chest" insignia. It makes a lot of sense to me.

7. Christopher

I figured the early Starfleet was like the European Space Agency, in which each nation retains its own individual space administration but they all contribute resources, personnel, funding, etc. to the overall ESA.

8. Mysterion

That sounds entirely reasonable, and somewhat mirrors what I recall about how Star Fleet was established from the Articles of the Federation that appeared in the Franz Joseph Star Fleet Technical Manual.

Looking forward to reading your book next week.

9. Briet

Looks nice, thank you for posting it. And what can you tell us about the enlisted personnel ranks?

10. Christopher

Umm... I never really got around to figuring that out. Maybe some kind of symbols on the shoulder strap/epaulets, like the TMP uniforms?

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Something for the next book or two ?

12. Mysterion

How about taking the style of the enlisted insignia seen in ENT (on Cutler, for example), but making them somewhat larger patches that are worn on the sleeve opposite of the mission patch?

13. Christopher

^No, I want that sleeve bare because the chest insignia's on that side and I don't want it too cluttered. The shoulder straps make more sense, since they already have rank stripes.

Besides, the point of the new design is that this is the Federation Starfleet, not just the Earth Starfleet. The ENT-style enlisted rating patches had the UESPA arrowhead in them, which doesn't work for the combined fleet.

14. Briet

Maybe V shaped lines on the sleeve with a different color, perhaps silver.

15. Mysterion

Okay. Shoulder tabs would work as well as sleeve insignia. IMO, the enlisted insignia should be in a different location from the officer's cuff-rings in any case.

How about replacing the delta/arrow with the stylized star (as seen in the UESPA, Andorian, and Centauri patches in your drawing), like this artist did: http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/topic/1219/TOS-Enlisted-Rates-Concept

He shows them as sleeve insignia, but like I said, they would probably look just as sharp on shoulder tabs, ala TMP.

16. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Maybe there isn't any enlisted personnel. What would you need it for anyway when there's Starfleet Academy producing officers in just four years? It also depends how the other founding members handled it in their military services.

17. Christopher

There were enlisted personnel in ENT, and there were enlisted personnel in TOS. Since I'm in between those, I see no reason not to have enlisted personnel. And there are at least one or two of them mentioned in ACOF; I just didn't think to figure out what their insignias would look like.

18. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    That really doesn't make any sense. The U.S. Navy has enlisted personnel and our Naval Academy produces officers in 4 years as well.

19. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, the uniform looks great, along with the explanation of the colors! But I'm especially excited about the insignia patches– that's brilliant.

20. Briet