How far to the Bajoran Wormhole?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by dispatcher812, Mar 27, 2013.

1. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

My wife and I are re-watching the season of Voyager. The other night the thought occurred to me, how far is it from where they were dropped off in the Delta Quadrant to the Bajoran Wormhole? Why not set a course for that instead?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Most likely it was because they couldn't know for a fact that the wormhole would even be there when they arrived.

Making a course for the Federation would be absolutely assured of success, because the UFP doesn't just move or disappear like a wormhole terminus could.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Probably just as far as it is to Earth if not further. It's hard to describe the approximate location of everything without drawing a picture. But there are fan-made maps that do a pretty good job out there.

But the Wormhole exit is on the extreme far side of Gamma from the Delta border. So it would be more like 90k lightyears from where Voyager ended up.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

I think the distances were about equal - whether they headed for the GQ wormhole, or Earth, it would be roughly the same distance either way.

I don't think the Voyager crew knew about the Dominion, though. So that probably didn't enter into the discussion.

5. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

All good points, thanks. I did look at a few maps before I posted this. On most it looks at least to me to be a little shorter but the point about the terminus is the best.

6. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

You know what they could have done instead?

Not blown up the Caretaker's array. :lol:

Just kidding~~~~

7. CorporalClegg

Yes but, "Its the journey!" or whatever.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

And who's to say that the Caretaker array could be properly programmed? Wasn't the Caretaker already dead by the end of the episode? So I doubt the crew could have figured out how to properly use the array. I'm sure it's got to be set up somehow. Not like pressing an elevator button or something like that...

For all Janeway and crew knew, the array could have sent them further away, or perhaps even destroyed the ship outright.

9. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

This is true.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Earth is 27 k light years from the galactic core hugging the alpha/beta border.

Voyager had VOYAGED 40 k light years and they still hadn't found the Delta/beta border.

you can draw some triangles based on that with an equilateral triangle is weird.

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

You can travel far, far away to a location which most likely will be there, or slightly less far away to a location that -might- be there and could disappear with no warning whatsoever.

I don't consider this a difficult decision.

12. Guy Gardener

Besides the Barzan Wormhole was only a year and a half away.

13. CorporalClegg

There's a worm hole in Iran?

Must be in the Iatola's coffin.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes they did. Tom Paris was doing a shuttle simulation fighting Jem'Hadar ships with Kes one episode. So Voyager had to have been lost after DS9's The Jem'Hadar.

The wormhole definitely would've known to them, as it had been a concern for at least 2 years by that point. As to if it's closer or not? Debatable.

[​IMG]

This map here would argue the wormhole might be a bit closer. Not much though.

15. Guy Gardener

And hugging the edge of the galaxy like that there are not a lot of stars, which means not a lot of civilization so not a lot of people to trade with or restock supplies off. Any route chosen to the Bajoran Wormhole would not be a straight line. It would be a huge half moon arc smilie face dipping in towards where people are, and then back out towards the boon docks where the dominion wormhole is.

No Starship is an island.

According to that map half of Earth is always in the beta quadrant.

The planet is revolving.

But then it's the sun which is the centre of the sol system, so Earth is in the alpha quadrant the one half of the year, and in the Beta the other half.

Considering where Romulus and Qn'oS are, they didn't have much choice but in which direction to build their empire, even if most of it was just assimilating the old Vulcan Empire.