Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Gojira, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Actually there isn't a specific point that I can think where it was made clear that she was never in Starfleet, she just wasn't by the time TWOK came around.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

See, now this is a perfect example of how confirmation bias works.

All the time people have been bleating about how Eve's character's haircut looks exactly like Dehner's (it doesn't), they certainly never considered that Carol Marcus wore hers short and blonde as well. :lol:

3. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Better Marcus than Dehner in any case. At least with Marcus, there's a story and relationship to Kirk that can be subverted. Really mess with the (Trek) audience expectations.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Carol has been floated as a possibility many times.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh, everyone from Amelia Earhart to Queen Victoria have been "floated as a possibility." Only the determined proponents of a single unlikely candidate for Big Bad have been pointing to photographs of Eve as "proof" of their thesis. :lol:

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

It's pretty close in this shot...

[​IMG]

7. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The brief family scene with the BC villain doesn't tell us much. Still not clear who BC character is. But it's interesting that he's apparently trying to help save a girl. It may hint at just how his motivations might be very understandable. Or he could be just trying to goad/? the parents to give him something in exchange for helping their daughter. What would he need? And how does he have medical abilities that exceed that of a london hospital?
    Still not sure if he's Gary Mitchell (not-quite-all-powerful-but-still-fairly-powerful) or Garth of Izar (with cellular metamorphosis abilities) or Section 31 agent (with stolen advanced medical knowledge [like from the Fabrini or something]), or John Harrison (random Starfleet flunkie from 27 episodes of TOS).
    It's interesting that he's already on Earth. Gary Mitchell already returned from the coffin in space he was left in? Or Garth already out of the insane asylum? Or something else? Enemy from within, indeed.

Why are Kirk and McCoy stealing scrolls from the natives? How could that possibly help the situation? Or was it just a misunderstanding? Guess we'll find out in the prequel comics.

I do like how the movie is using the preferred--from my view--TOS interpretation of the Prime Directive. Not the TNG/VOY version where "we must stand by while the pre-warp aliens are horribly killed".

There has been a point made in the comics that Spock has been risking his life more and more. Uhura has talked to him about it. [See issue #6.] She thinks he's still grieving the loss of his mother and world and that that is impairing his judgement. He's making choices that "ignore all sense of self-preservation." Maybe trying too hard to save others at the expense of himself. To this, all Spock would say is that he would try to change . . . "as circumstances require." Now he's volunteered to go into a volcano? [Hey, a Vulcan in a volcano.] What does that say about Spock's reasoning? Couldn't they have gotten a drone to do it, or something?

So, no issue with Enterprise being ABLE to go under water on a planet. But that still begs the question as to WHY she would. (Really, I don't care too much, any little excuse will be worth seeing the cool shot of Enterprise rise out of water, as long as it's not completely stupid.) Maybe she needs to be down there to do whatever it is they are doing to quiet the volcano.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  8. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

In other words--a sellout.

9. mos6507

Novelty is overrated. People still enjoy Shakespeare even when they know the story. Tell a well-crafted story and you don't need "teasers".

10. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

"sellout." That oft used word shouted by butthurt fanboys who want time to stand still just for them. Get over yourself.

11. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and this particular stone kills yet another bird. This "extra" appeared in 27 TOS episodes, right? If so, what better way is there to ensure at least the first two seasons of TOS get re-watched over and over again by at least a billion people?

*opens up netflix account*

:techman:

12. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, that's an absolutely brilliant point. I sure wish I'd been smart enough to come up with something like that. :)

13. mos6507

If you don't like fans with strong opinions, you've picked the wrong place to hang out. Deal with it.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Pretty amazing, that.

I've edited the post to correctly reflect the quote attribution for that passage. datalogan, you'll want to be more careful about that in the future - if you're quoting verbatim something from someone else's post, please show that you're quoting and from whom by using the quote function.

15. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

What is being sold out?

No, it's not. That's a completely different hair-do.
    Even if it were the same, it wouldn't be evidence in favour for anything.

16. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent. But Shakespeare wasn't a movie director. This is not just a story, again, this is cinema: images are projected on a screen. And that's not just a trivial point: thinking visually is the whole point of a director's job.

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

More than anything Dehner was a one off and insignificant character. She was barely a step above a red shirt.

18. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

God, I love it when people who barely got here say stuff like this to those who have been here for over a decade. :lol:

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Young Carol Marcus, from the cover of 2010's Inception by S.D. Perry and Britta Dennison (set in 2261)
    [​IMG]

20. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I'll take Abrams retool of Star Trek any day over that abortion of film Star Trek Nemesis where the antagonist in the film was about as foreboding as a french runway model.

Oh and I'll also take Abrams redux of Trek over ST Insurrection as well.