New Riddick thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Deckerd, May 22, 2012.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's the new red band trailer that debuted at Comic-Con:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F1Dm9zRogpE[/yt]

2. Jiangnan Freak

Jiangnan Freak Lieutenant

Definetly checking this out.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awesome trailer! I think I might want to rewatch the first two before it comes out.

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Wow, that looks awesome!!!

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

While I plan on seeing it (although probably not in theaters), I'm still not quite sold on it. It really feels like Pitch Black Redux with Starbuck.

6. Jiangnan Freak

Jiangnan Freak Lieutenant

That's good enough for me.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's almost weird hearing Katee Sackhoff actually saying fuck instead of frack.

8. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I loved the scene where this guy got skewered through the wall (as if nobody saw it coming when he stood so close to it and everyone was far away :lol:) and Riddick starts laughing like a maniac and banging his chains in the same tact as the monster is kiiling this guy :guffaw::guffaw:

I don't expect much story or outstanding acting/character development but it should be chock full of cool moments.

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

A Pitch Black redux would be fine with me. I really enjoyed Chronicles but I think having a grand vision in the middle of two more linear stories would be an excellent trilogy. I haven't watched any trailers because I'm avoiding spoilers.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I got into a press screening of Riddick today. Here are some quick thoughts on it:

'Riddick' is quite possibly the best of the Riddick movies, although that's damning with faint praise, as I'm not exactly a big fan of the previous two. It starts out strongly with an extended dialogue-free sequence of Riddick fighting for his life in an alien desert, but then devolves into an overlong remake of 'Pitch Black'. Overall, though, it's a reasonably effective, unapologetic b-movie with solid performances from Vin Diesel and Katee Sackhoff and a couple of neat action scenes and creature effects.
    6/10

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I plan on seeing it on the weekend.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's got a 63% on Rotten Tomatoes so far, which is pretty good.

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got back from watching it. I liked it. It definitely was made with Pitch Black fans in mind. However it does give some nods to Chronicle of Riddick, so it's not as if that film is totally forgotten. However Riddick could easily play as a sequel to Pitch Black.

And I'm okay with that. I enjoyed both Pitch Black and Chronicles and it was cool seeing them return to the Pitch Black style. The cast was good for the most part. And there was more humor in the film than I expected and I liked that. Besides Riddick, I thought Santana, Dahl, Boss, and Diaz all stood out. But the minor roles were played solidly as well.

The new alien monsters weren't as cool as the bioraptors from the first film or the Necromongers from the second in terms of big adversary, however I give the filmmakers credit for trying to change it up.

There is no after credits scene so you don't have to stick around.

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it today as I was bored and nothing else to do. (I've seen Pitch Black but never saw Chronicles of Riddick btw)

Hmm, this was my reaction to it tbh- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf1HLBWw20g

I just found it really boring. I couldn't have cared less about any of the "characters" at all, the plot bored me to tears.. Vin Diesel just made me laugh. I remembered why I can't stand the Fast & Furious films. Arnold Schwarzenegger was never gonna win an Oscar but at least he put some kinda charm into his action movies, Vin Diesel is like watching a Dalek acting.
    Most of the time I had no idea what was going on. Again, I haven't seen Chronicles, so maybe if I had I'd get it, but that was hardly a huge movie. I'd entertain actually if you ask most people on the street they'll have never even heard of it, and Pitch Black as it goes. So I'd say a good 90% of people who go see this movie on a Friday/Saturday night will be in the same boat.
    Karl Urban's one scene, who is he? Fuck knows. That guy 'Johns' going on about his son, was that even from Chronicles? I don't know, I didn't care, I wasn't made to care when it first came up and I certainly didn't care by the end of the movie. I was just there killing time waiting for my car to be serviced this afternoon.

The cgi creatures were very good I'll say that. And the main enjoyment I got out it was mainly seeing Katee Sackhoff on the big screen, and imagining in my head what some episodes of BSG would look like on the cinema screen and how awesome that would be to watch... certainly compared to what I was watching anyway.

I only skimmed a couple of reviews beforehand, which both gave it 3/5, god knows why. Some people seem to like Vin Diesel I guess, fair play to them but it's not for me. One of the worst films I've seen in 2013 easily.
    And I did like Pitch Black btw, and that's what I'd describe this movie as, just a really, really shit version of Pitch Black.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm surprised to see such a low score.

The Good

- The Riddick-style wit and badassery was nicely written and Vin Diesel really delivered. I'd call this my favorite of the three movies as well.

- I'm glad they touched on, and resolved the issue of the necromongers. Though it might have been nice to explore that storyline, they resolved it to my satisfaction, more or less.

- I liked the desert landscape. If Star Trek were made today with modern effects, I imagine that those barren planets with colored skies is would look like this.

- Good supporting cast.

- Katee Sackhoff. Because she deserves her own bullet point.

The Bad

- It did feel like a rehash of Pitch Black but seeing Riddick do his thing made up for it.

- The ending fell flat. It was like Twohy ran out of juice and had to wrap it up any way he could.

The Other Thing

- Didn't much care for the dog at first because I didn't want this to turn into a "man and his dog" buddy movie. Then I warmed up to the animal but accepted its death in part because I knew it was coming.

Looking forward to the next one.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Do watch Chronicles. It's got some good world-building and it'll help you fill in the gaps.

I remember her saying that she wanted to concentrate on doing some grounded non-scifi work when BSG ended. Now here she is in Riddick.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The Big Bang Theory doesn't count?

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And she might be doing a Marvel movie too.
    She is a regular on Longmire though, and that is a pretty straight realistic cop show.

20. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Saw the movie this afternoon. I liked it more than I expected to. I'm glad that it focused more on the "Pitch Black" atmosphere than the "Chronicles" story. I wish the ending hadn't been so formulaic, but I was fairly pleased with the rest of the movie (and I really didn't expect to be able to say that!)