Watching Farscape Season 1.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ConRefit79, Jul 4, 2010.

1. jojolimited

jojolimited Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually met Virginia Hey at a couple of conventions. A true Misandrist. Really sad.
    The other actors were totally cool.

2. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh? She hates men?

3. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

I find that weird, I'm a friend of hers on Facebook and she posts quite often speaking of her boyfriend.

4. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I became a fan of the series during the 3rd season. I saw most of that season and all of the 4th. I had seen several episodes of the earlier seasons but not in order. I've finished season 1. Very good beginning.

I read they are working on new episodes for online. How can they afford that and SciFi can't.

5. RandyS

You mean the webisodes announced last year? I think those were cancelled.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they were announced 3 years ago. I figured they were cancelled because the last I heard they couldn't get the funding. Kinda sucks, but since I bought the DVDs last year, I really ended up not caring all that much.

7. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

As far as I know, they have not been canceled. Rockne keeps stating they are looking for financing for them and more recently he has been teasing those of us who follow him on twitter about meetings he's been having with himself, Brian Henson and people unnamed about an exciting event. That may not necessarily be regarding Farscape, but it sounds promising.

"Big mtg this Weds w/ B Henson, me, and ******* - oops, can't say. Just earliest beginning-but cautiously very excited. Things are a'brewin'."

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've recently started watching the series as well, after purchasing the box set and Peacekeeper Wars. In this case, "recently" is being used very subjectively -- I started at least two months ago and have only gotten about half way through season one so far. On this board particularly, I've always read such positive things about the show, but it's not grabbing me yet at all.

9. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^The first episode I really liked was 2x05.

I think I'd like the show better on rewatch - probably safe to say it's a bit of an acquired taste.

10. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Last I heard that project was on indefinite hold (I'd also imagine it would be hard to get certain cast members back for them, anyway).

As for the "how could they afford to do them", well Sci-Fi as I understand it didn't pay for the Mini-series either. And anyway, don't equate the Syfy of today with the Sci-Fi of 7-8 years ago that had the European funding for Farscape cancelled (which I believe was what happened).

And anyway, YouTube is full of "Webisode"-style productions that cost a fraction of what "standard" TV or film costs to produce, yet are just as professionally done. I have absolutely no doubts that a Farscape webisode could be made using virtual sets. But if they don't get the original cast to come back I wouldn't be that interested in them anyway.

PS. Just finished Season 3 over the weekend and have started Season 4. For those still on Season 1 and wondering whether to muddle through, I have two words regarding Season 4: Raelee Hill. :drool:

Alex

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Another thing you'll read on this board is that it really doesn't start getting good until the last 4 episodes of Season 1. The beginning of the season is okay, but it's the end of the season when it really finds its footing.

12. ConRefit79

Which is better than Star Trek, cause they usually did not get very good until season 3.

13. RandyS

You know, I don't understand all the negative comments about season 1. For me, this is one of those shows that was good right out of the gate. I can understand everybody liking what came later, all that was good too, but the smaller, less complicated "bottle" shows of season one were the series at it's best.

14. ConRefit79

Season 1 was a very good beginning. Unlike post TNG, They had a complete universe to create. So they had to do a lot of bottle shows to setup that universe.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I enjoy just about all of Season 1, but I can understand some people not really getting it right away. I was introduced to the show at the end of Season 2, so when I went back and watched Season 1, I was already familiar with the characters.

16. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I actually began watching Farscape on TV at the beginning of season 2. Therefore, I only watched season 1 after being hooked by season 2.

I love Farscape in its entirety. I never tire of seeing it, except for the bounty hunters in season 1. For some odd reason I don't much care for that one.

Farscape in my book managed to be groundbreaking sci-fi while poking fun at itself and other shows.

Humor and space opera, the perfect marriage of two of my favorite things.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Let's hang out! :p

18. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I love the av! It cracks me up. I have not seen the 3rd one yet.

I think my love for Farscape grew as John got nuttier and started flowing with it.

John and 1812 - priceless! :rofl:

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ooh, you need to. It's fantastic.

20. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Like others on this board, I thought Farscape was great from Day 1. I think the reason why Season 1 doesn't grab people right away is that it can take a little getting used to. The Muppets give some the (very mistaken) impression that it's a kid's show, but then you have nudity and (PG-13 rated) sex scenes. You have episodes that are deadly serious mixed in with comedies -- and many episodes combine the two. If you're only used to things like BSG that was generally black or white in terms of its style, of course it will be an acquired taste. And not every episode is a gem, as is the case with every series without exception. In the case of Farscape, season 1 has the infamous "Jeremiah Crichton" episode which is generally considered the show's nadir - to the point where the cast and crew commentary for the episode is spent poking fun at it. Personally, I thought the episode was fine and I have my own personal choice for "worst" FS episode.

There's also the fact the show is formatted to be a slow build. Not everything is resolved in season 1, and in fact if you were to jump into Season 4 you'd go "Uh, but, I thought ..." probably every 5 minutes. Things change, sometimes rapidly, sometimes so gradually you might actually need to go back and watch a past episode. Interestingly, all that I've written in this paragraph has also been told to me regarding Lost, which is an example of a series that didn't keep my attention through the first season, but I want to go back and check it out now it's done.

Alex