Exploring the Uncharted Territories: A Farscape Viewing Experience

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Dec 22, 2010.

1. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Suuuure. And the dog ate your homework, sun got in your eyes and the check's in the mail. You really expect us to buy this whole lame "I'm moving" crap as a valid reason not to watch more Farscape and post your review online. Good lord man, people depend on you!! ;)

Hope moving goes well.....looking forward to the rest of season 2 with you. :)

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The Princess trilogy is a wonderful quite story (I say quiet in comparison to Farscape's other duologies and trilogies), although not quite my favorite simply because "Into the Lion's Den" and "We're So Screwed" are so utterly awesome.

Yes, Braca is around for awhile and I quite like the character, too, although I wish we got just a bit more development of the character. David Franklin is a wonderful actor, both here and on Hercules/Xena as Brutus (where I saw him prior to Farscape).

3. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

I was actually going to say that myself, I always enjoy seeing Farscape characters in other roles, I feel that Wayne Pygram got robbed by not having any lines in Star Wars EP. 3 as his resemblence to a younger Peter Cushing is stunning. One of my favorite memories of David Franklin in Farscape isn't in one of the episodes, but in the special features for the PK wars mini-series where he introduces himself in one of the early script read throughs.

4. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

I have to say, though, in terms of favorites that I like to come back to, my favorite of the "Farscape Trilogies" is the "Liars, Guns and Money" series we're about to come up on... without getting into too much detail, I will simply say that I think it made for a great finale, for reasons I'll elaborate on when we get there... I like the later ones just fine with no complaints... this is just the one I come back to whenever I feel like watching some epic Farscape...

I recently re-watched the Princess trilogy, and I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it, as I didn't remember it being quite so entertaining... I agree with the way they handled Aeryn and Crichton's relationship here... their reactions are really very genuine... exactly the way I would see real people behaving if they'd had the kind of of backgrounds and relationships these two have.

And to answer the question posed earlier, yes, Braca will return... "...Is the rematch ever better than the original fight?"

My favorite line of this trilogy, though....

5. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the Look at the Princess trilogy is a lot of fun. Absolutely all over the place and off the wall in a way that probably only Farscape could pull off and with some touching moments as well.

I wasn't entirely convinced by the Zhaan subplot though. Lines like "I am so filled with uncharitable rage" didn't help.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm only on episode 5ish, but I love the show. The last one I watched is when they used food to control people. It felt like classic sci-fi for the modern age. It feels like Star Trek and Stargate meets modern day, even through the show is over a decade old. I love the aliens, how some are humanoid and others are giant shrimp like, and the ship is connected to the pilot and the little Yoda dude. :)

So what episode is everyone up to on here? I'm trying not to read too much, so episode number would be best.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This thread is up to "Beware of Dog," which is from the middle of Season 2.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you. :)

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I wasn't expecting to have time today, but moving has proceeded more quickly than I expected, so I do indeed have time tonight to watch a few more episodes. There are many things (i.e., books and DVDs) that still need to be unpacked and shelved, but all of the important matters have pretty much been handled already, much to my relief.

Won't Get Fooled Again
    - I believe I've commented on it before, but I'm going to repeat it anyways: this series really does handle continuity references well. References to past events (A Human Reaction; Maldis; Rhapsody in Blue; etc) are handled matter-of-factly, very quick references that don't get bogged down in exposition while also serving to present the characters as "real" individuals whose expectations are formed by their past experiences just as ours are in real life. Crichton's attack on his father; his attempt to use the women's restroom to escape a perceived created reality; and so on are all logical due to his experience with the Ancients in "A Human Reaction," as was his rundown of other past events that involved false memories, different realities, etc.

- Whereas most other shows that would attempt an episode like this would probably flash between seeing Zhaan and D'Argo as they "really" look and sans character makeup, I appreciate that Farscape instead presents Zhaan and D'Argo exactly as John would expect them to look, especially that the other characters apparently see the "aliens" just as Crichton does.

- Speaking of important differences between Farscape's approach in this episode and what other shows would do with a similar episode, I love that Crichton isn't attempting to fit in and act as if everything is normal, pretending that his experiences on Moya really were a hallucination resulting from trauma of the module crash. Browder really does have great comedic timing, and it's refreshing to see this episode have him just cut completely loose since he believes it's all some manner of trick and there can't possibly be repercussions for his actions. It's also nice to see Anthony Simcoe and Claudia Black get a chance to cut loose, too, and embrace over-the-top performances since their characters so rarely offer that opportunity.

- And now, concrete confirmation that Scorpy implanted something into Crichton while he was in the Aurora Chair - and it's a copy of Scorpy's own consciousness? That's... scary, in a word. Amused, though of course not surprised, that Crichton went and named Scorpy's clone too.

- I feel like I should comment more directly on the content of Crichton's delusions while under the Scarran's mind-probe attempts, but I'm not entirely sure what to say. They were wonderfully bizarre and hilarious, in a manner that is quintessential Farscape. I think my favorite might be the scene with D'Argo where they talked about the "Luxan bonding ritual," because it reminded me of the exchange that Bonzo quoted a few posts ago. I used the phrase "over-the-top" earlier to describe Simcoe's performance in this episode, but I think it applies well to many of the show's more comedic episodes and makes Farscape stand out as being quite unlike anything I've seen before, which is definitely intended as praise, not complaint. I really like the way the show mixes comedy and drama; on one hand, we have Crichton's ridiculous delusions, while at the same time finding out that the delusions are because he's a Scarran prisoner and his only way out alive is due to Scorpy's mental clone, two issues of great concern for Crichton.

The Locket
    - Stark is back! And with bad news to boot. I'm sure the timing, with another trilogy starting in a few episodes and leading into the season finale, is just a coincidence. ;)

- This is a beautiful, quiet little story. Seeing Crichton and Aeryn old and together was lovely. Even though they spent so much time together in the erased (?) timeline, it feels true to Aeryn's character that she would only have obliquely admitted her love for Crichton. Post-"Princess" trilogy, they may know they are genetically compatible, but Aeryn and Crichton probably still aren't yet ready for a genuine relationship beyond what they have now.

- This episode feels like a respite, providing a brief period of time for Moya's crew to pause and catch their breath, so to speak, between the events of the mid-season trilogy and what I can only assume will be explosive closing events of the season.

The Ugly Truth
    - Chiana and Rygel sure do seem to get split off from the rest of the crew on a regular basis.

- Uh, wow. I was not expecting Stark to be back for only two episodes. I thought he'd be sticking around longer, at least through the season finale. I hope he did manage to survive the dispersal, as he theorized might be possible.

- It was nice to see Talyn again, even if only in flashback recollections. Don't think I have anything else to say, though.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"The Locket" is probably my favorite standalone episode of the series. I love Stark. I love seeing Crichton and Aeryn growing old together (although Crichton's old guy makeup is absolutely terrifying!).

The last 5 episodes of the season are absolutely fantastic and full of a lot of crazy twists and turns, and the "Liars, Guns, and Money" trilogy puts some important focus on characters other than Crichton and Aeryn. The whole story is, in fact, motivated by D'Argo. My favorite thing about Farscape is that, while Crichton is obviously the main character, it truly is an ensemble show. Every character gets their moment in the sun, and the situations are driven by their very realistic motivations.

11. label

Won't get fooled again - Browder really flexes his acting chops in this one and is brilliant. When Critchon begs whoever's doing this too him too stop because they're using the image of his dead mother against as being "too cruel", he really sells it nicely. Very effective. The entire episode is pretty brilliant and the fact that they hang a lantern on the fact that they've done a similar type of episode just a season ago was inspired.

The Locket : I've always maintained that this show, at it's core, with everything stripped away is about John and Aeryn finding themselves and then truly finding each other. Soul mates. Every bit as compelling as Sheridan and Delenn in Bab 5 and that's high praise indeed. Awesome episode.

Can't wait for the Liars, Guns, Money trilogy. Really classic 'scape!

Nice to see you back early, wasn't expecting you this weekend.

12. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

*sigh* Mainly posting in this thread as an excuse to subscribe, but just have to say I am now pining for a Farscape marathon.

Oh, and I must add my voice to those voting the "Look at the Princess" trilogy as their favorite. It's mine too. :D

AND, one more note re: "Bone to Be Wild" - M'Lee was portrayed by Ben Browder's wife Francesca Buller, as was the little alien servant ro-NA in the "Look at the Princess" trilogy. She shows up again at least once more that I remember as another character just as wacky as the first two in the third season episode "Scratch 'n' Sniff." It's always a party when she shows up. :D

Oooh, I forgot her most significant guest role in late season 4. She does such a fabulous job bringing characters with prosthetics to life. I'm truly surprised she hasn't done more work.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^She actually shows up a lot more as various characters, her biggest role being:

War Minister Ahkna in Season 4 and The Peacekeeper Wars

14. Sakrysta

^I caught it - you're too fast for me! :lol:

IMDB trivia says that the baby and the little girl in the "Look at the Princess" trilogy were Ben & Fran's children. Is that true? If so, I think my awww meter just asploded. :adore:

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That role really impresses me. She's very imposing for such a little person.

This I do not know, but I would believe it.

16. Sakrysta

*grumbles in frustration*

I'm already working through three separate series right now - a re-watch of TNG, a re-attempt at Alias via Netflix snail mail, and a hilarious first-run of My Name Is Earl via Netflix Streaming. Then I'm also trying to keep up with current series. But this thread is making me CRAVE Farscape like crazy! I might as well just hire a household staff and never leave my recliner at this rate. :lol:

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I feel the same. This thread is REALLY motivating me to do a Farscape rewatch. I'm out of shows that I want to watch right now, so I might as well. I'm currently doing a BSG rewatch and just started the final seasons, maybe when I'm done, I'll throw in Farscape.

18. label

Me too, but I'm waiting for a while to watch Farscape with my oldest daughter who turns 16 this Friday. I'm thinking it'll be 4-6 months before we watch Farscape together so sadly I'll likely miss out your Farscape rewatch.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The last few times I watched Farscape I did so as a way to introduce it to somebody else. I almost feel like I need to find a new friend and make them watch it with me. It seems weird to watch it alone.

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm also feeling the need to rewatch the series and Amazon just happened to have a huge sale for the series.

Problem is I was planning on doing a Twilight Zone run through once the boxset arrived. Decisions, decisions...