Shattered...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Kobayshi Maru, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

It doesn't make sense for the reasons I stipulated. If Chakotay died right at this moment then not telling Neelix about it was no skin off his nose, he couldn't have enjoyed it anyway. If Chakotay died at a later date then why on earth would Icheb recall this particular incident as being of significance? Ether way something doesn't quite fit. Your attempt at excusing it away by saying that it was some lame attempt at humor doesn't work either as Chakotay knew that a couple of bottles of cider wouldn't just sit there for seventen YEARS. Someone had to drink them. Basically what you're saying is that what Icheb says is the long version of "BTW, I drank the cider". After seventeen years? Who cares?

So now I am awkward because I don't agree with you. What's next? You're going to call me names? Can't we have a civil discussion? I thought I was the hostile one. Do I need to bring this turn of the conversation to the moderator's attention?

Anyway, it doesn't make sense that when she first saw Chakotay, Seska didn't immediately realize that there was much more to that situation than meets the eye. Especially if we consider how brilliant she normally is. Chakotay was supposed to be on a barren planet fighting with sticks and stones (will break my bones ) against cavemen (literally) and giant worms with teeth. His presence on the ship should have alerted her that something was really wrong and simply inquiring as to how many were on board seems like a futile question given that that number could change as they were talking to each other? How long did it take voyager to beam a hundred of Klingons on board the ship?

Anyway, if you have other insults to throw at me, then please do, I'll report them immediately to the moderator.

2. Lt. Marseille

Lt. Marseille Ensign Red Shirt

Tell you what, I'll respond with another quote from you:

You're ignoring everything I've said (again) and appear to be practicing some kind of willful blindness. Icheb is not giving Chakotay a stock report; in any way. It is a moment of male bonding. Icheb is sharing an 'in joke' between them as well as referring back to the last time they saw each other which will have been significant for Icheb and very recent for Chakotay. Its a mark of affection and a line supposed to show character rather than be purely expository. As has also been shown in this thread (which I hadn't previously clocked and raises far more interesting questions) it's also something of a Chekhov's Gun.

You can argue until you're blue in the face about what the correct tactical response is. If Voyager's crew have the ability to get on board then they could've beamed everybody on board already. If everybody that they can beam on board (possibly the entire crew) is on board then wasting time asking about how they escaped the planet and what means of transport they used to get there would be pointless. Ceska is a trained operative, she's had a moment to decide how to proceed with an interrogation whilst Chakotay's unconscious, so she gets down to brass tacks right away. How many people are with him and where are they. This is a perfectly reasonable and plausible approach. I don't see how you can possibly be so dogmatic that she must ask the questions you specify first.

I was genuinely trying to get you to re-examine and think about the arguments you had made because in my view you didn't appear to be taking on board or thinking about anything that I had contributed and your criticisms (IMO) seem very petty. Evidently I was wasting my time.

3. Kobayshi Maru

How civil of you to insult me with words that I personally didn't use to insult anybody. You've just made a ransom note with my own words and sent it to me. How kind!

I think I am running out of patience with you.

And as a matter of fact You are the one who's deliberately ignoring everything I say.

You can't just excuse everything by calling it male bonding and leaving it at that.

As I said before, To chakotay the event had just happened but to Icheb it was seventeen years ago. It doesn't make sense for Icheb to even recall the incident since he never expected to see chakotay again. To him that's no more relevant than any other little detail that happened in his life over seventeen years.
    He could as well have said, BTW, Tuvok never beat me at kalto (sp?) or some other triviality. Let's face it. That kind of thing is the result of sloppy thinking by negligent writers. Nobody in his/her right mind would assume that someone would keep vividly in mind some irrelevant piece of dialogue for seventeen years if their chances of ever using it was exactly zero. Can you imagine meeting with someone you haven't seen for seventeen years and never expected to see again, coming toward you and saying something like "BTW, I get your joke about the three guys in a bar." or something like that? This is how absurd Icheb's remark is.

I am getting tired of this exchange where you're getting increasingly impertinent. I think I'll leave you to your certainties before you say something you'll regret.

4. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Guy, guys, you both lose. Voyager is terrible.

5. Kobayshi Maru

Of course, you'd say that! You're Garak! ;)

6. Lt. Marseille

Lt. Marseille Ensign Red Shirt

Kobayashi Maru wrote:

You don't think that's insulting to the writers?

This seems to me to be genuinely interesting and to pose genuine problems. If the other timelines weren't erased then all of the characters would have known things they shouldn't and would affect their behaviour earlier in the series.

So, I thought, perhaps the timeline was erased but it's only Janeway that remembers what happened because of the Doctor's injection that essentially makes her like Chakotay. There'd still be problems but at least they'd be less egregious.

Then I realised that wouldn't wash because they injected a whole load more people for the denouement. The only way I can see it working atm is that everyone who was injected retains the memory but that it is only embedded in their consciousness at the moment when Chakotay 'returns' from the time fracture doo dah.

The only way, I think, to make sense of this is by inferring something as I'm doing here. OTOH I think there may be some support for it in the performance. When Chakotay non-reports what has happened and cites the Temporal Prime Directive Janeway has an 'eyes sideways' moment as if a dim memory is coming back to her.

Of course, if that solution is correct then you've got to wonder if Icheb and Naomi have suddenly received memories of 17 years worth of an alternative future...

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    If people are good enough friends or there was something else associated with the memory, something like this isn't absurd at all.

8. Kobayshi Maru

People insult the writers all the time since this is the forum for that, but if you continue insulting me, I will report you. I've been tolerant so far but there is a limit to everything.

9. Kobayshi Maru

Well, I guess, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

10. Timewalker

I suppose so, since it seems that you've never had such an experience yourself. I have, and it's a blessing to have friends with whom one can pick up old conversations from years ago, when it's been a long time between visits.

11. Kobayshi Maru

It's polite to refrain from making that kind of assumption about someone you know nothing about, IE ME.

Why can't people dispense from getting personal. It's not that difficult, is it?

Back on the stopic at hand, I doubt you've ever met someone you thought was dead for seventeen years as is the case in the episode, if you had it would have been one hell of a coincidence.

It's not the same as meeting someone you still keep in touch with from time to time. Why don't we compare things that are comparable? That would be a nice change.

12. Timewalker

Sorry, I missed the part about the person being dead. Yeah, that would make the situation harder. I've actually sort of been in that situation in RL (I was the person who had been thought dead and it was a shock to the other when I turned up very much alive).

13. Kobayshi Maru

There's also one thing to consider: If Chakotay's time prevails, then Icheb and Naomi of the future are certain to disappear. The two timelines being incompatible.

Do they realize that they're about to "never have existed"? Which in a sense is even worse than death, at least in death there's some hope for an afterlife, with non existence, you don't even have that.