5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, May 29, 2010.

?

What do you think about the episode?

1. Brilliant

37.4%
  2. Good

45.2%
  3. Average

10.4%
  4. Meh

2.6%
  5. I wish we had a puke smilie

4.3%
  1. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

Who is this Rory chap everyone is on about, I went back and re-watched all the episodes of this season, no Rory, surely someone is pulling someone's leg.

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

been looking at the "Silence in the Library" forum over at GBase, and find it amusing that when information the next batch of 11th Doctor novels first came out, it was minus Rory, since then covers have come out with Rory on them, but now he is wiped from time, is it really right to put out books featuring a character who has been wiped from time?

3. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Why? The stories still exist, just like the episodes with Rory in them still exist. There's two timelines in Doctor Who. The one the Doctor follows and the one everything else in existence follows. Rory was only erased from the latter.

4. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

Stop it, I am not seeing Rory whatever on anything except this board.

Eleventh Doctor

Companion Actor/Actress Series First Episode Last episode Appearances with the Eleventh Doctor Amy Pond Karen Gillan 5– "The Eleventh Hour" N/A 14

Future Companion

River Song from the Tenth Doctor episodes "Silence in the Library" / "Forest of the Dead" is an archaeologist who states that she has travelled with the Doctor in his relative future.[35][36] Doctor Who Confidential referred to her as a "companion-to-come".[37] River Song reappears in the Series 5 episodes "Time of Angels" and "Flesh and Stone".

this is from wiki, no mention of this Rory fellow.

5. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Complaints about the Latin name for a humanoid lizard race kind of fall off the junk science meter when they've done an episode with a space whale. I think we can accept that the science and hence acceptably the nomenclature of the DW universe is somewhat different to ours ;)

6. The Sonic Mole

The Sonic Mole Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Really enjoyed this - and I've finally warmed to the new Silurians!

There were some excellent moments in this story. The tension re the hostage situation in particular. I also really enjoyed the themes of loss and dealing with it (i.e. Rory & the Grandfather).

This is shaping up to be the strongest opening season for a Doctor since, dare I say it, seasons seven and twelve. Fantastic....

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Good. Quite enjoyable with great themes. Marred by some poor acting from the guest stars, particularly the woman playing the mother.

Mr Awe

8. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the Silurian underworld as well. All around, both the CG and the sets. It worked for me. :techman:

Mr Awe

9. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

To c&p a comment I made on LJ:

I keep getting this feeling that the crack doesn't actually DESTROY anything, but that it rather just erases all memory of something. All the events--Cyberking, Dalek Invasion, etc.--still happened, but the MEMORY of it has been erased from human history.

This is why I think Rory isn't actually dead. I think he survived the shot. This may be over/wishful thinking, but firstly, the duration of the shot to the scientist Silurian was longer than the duration of the shot that hit Rory. Secondly, the scientist was at closer range than Rory was when shot. Thirdly, and this is where I'm stretching, it's possible that the Silurian weapon doesn't work as well on humans as it does on Silurians, just like the taser managed to kill Alaya when, most times, a human can survive such an attack.

So, I think that Rory was actually knocked unconscious, perhaps to the point of near-death, but not completely killed.

My theory on the crack is that it simple throws whatever it consumes out into either another reality, another dimension, or perhaps into various points in Time. So I bet we'll see Rory again, but somewhere else in some other time (maybe explaining the date on his nurse ID badge?).

10. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

Interesting theory. I really enjoyed the series and am looking forward to series how the arc pans out. I think the series will be even better when watched after the final, there's probably stuff we're not noticing.

11. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Except if the crack did just erase memory of something, it would be very easy for the Doctor to just go back in time to find out that the thing erased is still there.

Actually...
    Is that how the Jacketed Doctor sneaks past the 4 clerics in Flesh and Stone? Because from his perspective they're no longer there, having been erased?

12. Zombie

Zombie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the crack is caused by:

Amy finds the ring that Rory left on the ship, pumps the Doctor for information about it, and then gets him to break all sorts of time rules/laws to get Rory back. The Doctor pays the price for it.

13. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Regarding that spoiler...

Did the Doctor pick up the ring after it fell off the console at the end of Cold Blood? I remember it being conspicuously in the shot and the Doctor noticing it...but I can't remember if it is implied he picked it up and pocketed it?

14. Zombie

Zombie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember him picking it up

15. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

^ No, Particle Man is right. He didn't pick it up, but he definitely noticed it.

16. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Yeah just double checked, he doesn't pick it up on camera - he stands up and they all run out, and the next shot is from the front and he doesn't have it in his hand. Having said that, as he gets up off the floor, the box isn't visible anymore. So he may have swiped it 'off camera' or had that shot edited out.

17. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

Also, watch the part where he's lying on the ground with the TARDIS shrapnel, just after he's pulled it out of the crack. You never see him stick it in his coat pocket. One second it's in his hand, the next it's gone - it looks like it vanishes into thin air.

18. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

That's just editing surely?

19. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

I'm sure it is. It just looks funny, because the camera stays on the Doctor but the shrapnel vanishes as his hand moves to the ground.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

USA's turn. Unfortunately a lackluster two parter on the whole. I'd much rather have had the Dalek WWII story as a two parter, it was much more epic and much more rushed, while this story just felt small and extremely padded for length. I like the attempt at negotiation and peace. Also, yay, Rory died! I didn't care for him. And even better his very existence was wiped from the series so that we don't have to see Amy being all sad and mopey about it! The best of two worlds!

I must say, after the initial thrill of the new season, these past few episodes have been very disappointing. Everything since the River/Angel two parter has been very average. I'm still waiting for the next great episode. I have no doubts the ending two parter will be amazing but what about the next two?