So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished One Constant Star yesterday, it was pretty good. Tried to read Peter Hamilton's Fallen Dragon, but put it down immediately when I discovered its basically a generic "evil future corporation" book. When a book starts with an evil corporate executive being evil just to be evil, you know you're in trouble.

Next up will probably be one of my small back log of Star Trek books, but I'm not sure which right now.

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Really, you think so? I didn't think the premise was remotely reasonable, literally or metaphorically, and found all of the anti-intellectualism kind of distasteful.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't really read anything like that in to it, but tend not to think about stuff like that while I'm reading unless it down right punches me in the face, and that didn't really happen here.

4. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I would actually happily write that sentence to describe myself, as well, actually; I felt it did down right punch me in the face.

But either way - fair enough. :shrug:

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess I can I can see what you're saying, but I just didn't read it that way.

6. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading The Heavens Before (Genesis Trilogy) by Kacy Barnett-Gramckow and really enjoying it. It's about the times of Noah in the Bibie. :)

7. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

About a 1/3 of the way through Greg Cox's "No Time Like the Past" My friends picked on me for getting this because it sounded "fan fictiony" to them but I thought it sounded fun and reading it I feel like I'm back in the 90s during Trek's heyday :)

8. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I finished the Gateways series with the exception of the second book, and overall I was pretty happy with my purchase and reading experience. If I get some internet time that doesn't involve typing on my tablet, I'll give a more in depth view of my literary experience. All I'll say for now is I think the final book tied the series together satisfactorily, and I was OK with how it all turned out. Predictable ending, but I expect that from most TrekLit series. Its cool. I was disappointed that the last 20% of the eBook was just a list of Trek books in order, something I can easily get off the internet, I was hoping for more story.

Since I was satisfactorily entertained by this crossover series, I decided to start the Invasion! series. We'll see, reviews and synopsis' look interesting!

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I finished Skin Game a few days ago. Now I'm making my way through The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I tried Elantris a few years ago but had a hard time getting into it. But I've heard so many good things about this one and Words of Radiance, its sequel, that I figured I ought to give Sanderson a second chance.

What a huge book, though! Over 1200 pages in paperback! :eek:

10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Finished TLE: One Constant Star. Still working my way through TOS: Serpents in the Garden and enjoying "Reservoir Ferengi" in Seven Deadly Sins.

11. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I've just finished One Constant Star and Serpents in the Garden. Gonna jump back into the DS9 relaunch with Section 31 - Abyss.

12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Now, sure, you can, but the book was published in 2001, when such things were not as readily nor reliably available online as they are now.

13. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading The Last Dogs: Journey's End by Christopher Holt and Allen Douglas.

14. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Finally finished I, Jedi. I enjoyed it (well, most of it; at times it came dangerously close to feeling like a Mary Sue written by Corran Horn), but it took me a full month to read it. I'm now enjoying Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel. Up next will most likely be X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar.

15. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished The Eternal Tide today. What a fantastic read. Great character beats, great drama. This one coupled with the DS9 Duology before it really were a wonderful one-two-three punch. I can't wait to see what else happens to the Voyager crew!

I started Brinksmanship today, too. A nice, breezy two chapters with some good moments. It moves at a nice clip without sacrificing too much in terms of character. Starting in on this one means I have 9 more books before I'm current on 24th Century Treklit. (Well, I guess 10 since there'll be that Immortal Coil sequel at the end of the month. Plus that ebook that ties into Cold Equations series and the Titan ebook.)

16. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I just finished C.S. Lewis' That Hideous Strength, which is an odd combination of anti-science fiction, Christianity, and British mythology. Essentially there's a malevolent research institute taking over a tidy English village, and their stated ambition is progressive social engineering -- finding scientifically superior ways to curb crime, that sort of thing. Their real goal is to create a new race of men, freed from the vile stuff of organic bodies, and then cleanse the Earth of that messy, messy nature. Fortunately for humanity, the heir of King Arthur is looking to wake up Merlin, so he can be posessed by angels/Greek gods/spirit-things guarding the planets and destroy the work of the bad angel/greek god/spirit thing, Satan, who is really behind this nefarious plot. Essentially the book is an argument against various aspects of modernity (moral relativism, the treating of nature as an antagonist to be conquered, and so on) with a plot that's more mythic than scientific, even if concerns space. I would have found it less confusing had I read the two books set in space before this, but I like my SF more to the point.

I then read The Abolition of Man, which makes the same moral/philosophical arguments without Arthur and space-beings.

Next up is Power, Inc: the Epic Battle Between Big Business and Government.

17. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'll be going on vacation this weekend, so I'm gonna take along Star Trek: Destiny and Star Trek: Crucible for trek reading. I'll also be taking some wars reading with Darth Plaguies. and for a bit of non-trek reading on the side, Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes. I usually tend to take a mini-library with me on vacation. I know I'd never get through everything. but I like to have different options for myself.

18. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Yeah, I get that. I just felt cut off, being only at the 80% mark and expecting more. I wouldn't have felt that way if I was at 98% and the list showed up. That reflects nothing on the authors, just the way the novel was translated into eBook. It's a minor point, but obviously I was enjoying the book if I was disappointed that it was over earlier than I thought it would be.

19. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

I just finished The 34th Rule. I really enjoyed it. I actually did the audio book due to my commute; Armin did an awesome job. Thinking about hitting up Legends of the Ferengi next.

20. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Fair point. And speaking as 1/6 of the author of the book, I'm glad you liked it. ;)

As for me, I'm in the midst of What It Was by the great George Pelecanos. He's one of the best there is at evoking a particular time and place (often through magnificent descriptions of clothes and music and cars), and I love that his characters are almost always lower-middle-class or lower on the economic spectrum.