Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Because work on season 2 was started LONG before Season 1 was released. Hell, it was underway when the Sampler was first on sale back in January. They had no idea the set would sell/do as well as it did.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They wanted to hook the TNG fans with season one then go cheap with the later seasons? :shrug:

If they are treating TNG this poorly and S4 and S6 turns out to be this same way too, I shudder to think what they will do with DS9 and VOY.

3. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

In Season 1, the colour pallet of the Enterprise was really brought into fruition, because of the limitations of SD it was lost. The blues and greens on the hull looked excellent.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x07/lonelyamongus_hd_288.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x15/11001001_hd_304.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x03/nakednow_hd_002.jpg

Unfortunately in a lot of the shots so far from Season 2 the hull and interior lighting appears to have been completely desaturated.

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images_s2review/review8.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images/cbs_icarussbmontgomery_hd.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images/thechild_repulse_hd.jpg

4. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

It's been confirmed that Phase II test footage will be included in one of the special features. If someone can, please post the screencaps of this footage. I'm itching to see it and it's in HD.

5. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

One of the Mods over on Trekcore informed me that Seasons 4 and 6 are not assigned to anyone yet. CBS-Digitals schedule is flexible to some degree. Perhaps the Trekcore Mods could confirm this. It's possible that HTV will not be involved in future Seasons. I hope to God this is true, I don't want them touching a single FX shot for the rest of this restoration. If they want to work on the live action, fine but stay away from the space shots.

6. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Personally, if I was in charge of a project, I would do extensive research on the companies that were available for this kind of work. There are several preliminary steps, one of which is check their web site. How old is their web site? What is the frequency of updates on this site? The company that did the work for Season 2 hasn't updated their web site in two years - this is not a good sign.

I found this while doing a Google search.

http://www.mpoweringu.com/the-importance-of-consistently-updating-your-website/

7. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why don't they outsource the live action shots, which HTV seems to be doing just fine and probably much quicker using their software system and leave the effects to CBS-D. I wouldn't imagine that it would be to difficult to manage given that's how most movies are made, with VFX being handled by an outside company such as ILM.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was wondering that too. Although it's possible integrating the two teams work like that would be too difficult, and it's easier to just have each team do their own season.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Anyone seeing it priced any better than the $79.99 on Amazon?

10. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

It really shouldn't be that difficult since that's how it usually happens. It would have made much more sense in terms of keeping things consistent.

11. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    I'm not trying to be contrary to anyone for the sake of being contrary, but those three screencaps from season two that you quoted look pretty nice. Actually, the majority of the screencaps from TrekCore's review look really stunning, perhaps not up to the high bar of the first season, but they still look marvelous. I mean, how can one say otherwise?

Between this and TrekCore's review, I am eagerly looking forward to this Blu-ray. I mean, I'm this close to selling my right kidney to finance the purchase of the (eventual) entire set of Blu-rays. I'm not particularly worried. I understand that many of you are disappointed; I would only suggest that you hold off on too much speculation until you see the actual product personally.

I'm not one to tell anyone else how they should enjoy any particular product, especially when it comes to Star Trek, since people can get very particular about the show when it comes to certain technical details. And I'm the same way. I just find it a little funny that anyone can say that the DVDs look in any way better than the Blu-rays. I mean, come on, of course it's going to look better, it's high-definition. Just wait. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. ;)

If TrekCore says that it looks fine, even if it looks slightly less "fine" than the first season, then that's good enough for me. I think we can relax a little, do some yoga, and be excited that we're getting some remastering done at all. I mean, did you see that new Borg matte painting? Lovely. :borg:

12. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  13. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

He's talking about the colour of the windows in each season. In the first, we have blues and yellows reflecting a multitude of rooms and styles. In season 2, they're all white.

And Salinga, WTF.

14. davejames

Yeah, the ship does look more solidly gray in the S2 shots. It's not a big issue for me though, and I can live with it.

In fact the closeups of the ship I really have no problem with. It's just the more distant shots that look a bit more... questionable.

15. davejames

Unfortunately not. We're only a week away, and it doesn't seem to be going any lower.

I'm starting to think $59 was just an introductory price to whet our appetites and get us hooked on buying these.

Edit: Actually a quick google search does show it for $71.99 at FamilyVideo (whatever that is), so I guess there's still hope...

16. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

I talked to my friend that's a digital compositor and she said what everyone else here seems to agree on. CBS-D went above and beyond to restore/enhance the image, and HTV is doing the bare minimum and not giving it that extra polish. She agreed that it's probably a cost issue, they went cheap and now we have the results. As for HTV redoing the same stock shots that CBS had already done, she said they probably didn't secure the rights to CBS-D's work and have to redo the shots themselves, as insane as that may be.

It'll be interesting to hear the behind-the-scenes stories about the remastering process once it's all said and done, that's for sure...

17. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Family video is a video rental franchise (one of the few left).

Also, if you order by tonight, they have a $5 promo code (CYBERMON) that you can use as well.

QUICK! Report it to Amazon!

18. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

To be fair, Wesley isn't the focus of this shot, the Salia effect is, so he's probably just slightly out of focus... and the shot is probably DNR'd in order to prepare it for the effect. Also, the frame shows slightly more image all around than the video telecine from 1989. In addition, the aspect ratio is the same slightly wider 1.35:1 as all the rest of the live-action footage for Season 2.

19. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most of the effects shots seem to be missing grain. While CBS D added grain to SFX, HTV I DNR-ed the live action footage instead. That's a shame. These shots will stand out like a sore thumb.

20. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In both the original and remastered versions of this shot, the rear of the warp nacelle appears to be cropped at the bottom.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s2/2x04/okona145.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images_s2review/review8.jpg

I don't see what could be legitimately obscuring the nacelle. At the very least, there should be blue glow, and then the underside of the nacelle. I guess it was an error that HTV never caught.

In the remaster, with the exception of the deflector and engines, the Enterprise's hull almost appears gray-scale with no apparent greens as someone else already pointed out. Compare how washed out the yellow on the saucer is. Because of the lighting, the rough edges of the saucer also seem to show through, making it look more like the model it is. It looks like it's in need of some touch-up paint.

Even at a smaller resolution, the smaller ship closest to the frame appears more realistic. I hope in motion, the models don't appear so flat.