Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Really makes you wonder what he'll do in season 6, and of course the inevitable movie. I'm hoping he chooses to still be a part of the show.

Noticeable absence of Pierce in both videos, of course.

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, so that's why they were so good. ;)

They're really going all out with the message that this isn't going to be like Community Season 4, aren't they?

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Left field.

Jeff loves Shirley 4ever!

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

John Harmon likes that meta-awareness stuff. Remember the intro to season 3. The whole 'We're gonna finally be fine' thing? He's very well aware the way fans reacted to season 4.

5. tighr

If this season has a serialized arc, then it's going to be brilliant. At this point the only people watching are the true fans. Might as well give them a good show.

6. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

His first name is Dan.

7. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

What did I just watch?!

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Harmon didn't make the trailer though, this is an official trailer released by NBC and Sony, and studios tend to be very diplomatic about this sort of stuff. It's odd because 1) they're effectively insulting the work of a bunch of their former employees, and 2) they're admitting that season 4 was crap while simultaneously trying to sell season 4 DVDs.

9. JirinPanthosa

Hmm, I know his name is Dan, I have no idea how I ended up typing John. Must have been semi-distracted when I made the post.

Every time some major company has control of a cool niche appeal thing, they attempt the same thing. Make it accessible to more people, while also keeping the niche appeal. And the same thing happens every time. They fail to win crossover appeal and they alienate the original niche. This might be NBC's way of saying "Come back niche, come back!!"

10. tighr

I think Community has reached equilibrium. There is no crossover appeal; the viewers they have are going to be a combination of the viewers they've always had and whatever new viewers they obtained through syndication. Unfortunately no matter how hard they try, I doubt anyone is going to say "Hey, what's this Community show that's been on for four years? Maybe I'll tune in this Thursday and check it out!"

11. JirinPanthosa

A few reviews of Community season 5 are coming out and they're all saying the same thing: "Community is back to the way it was before."

Now I'm getting excited. :)

I think I'll watch the episodes I missed in season 4 just so tomorrow I have a control group.

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I forgot it starts tomorrow, October 17th.

I still have several season 4 episodes to go. Season 4 isn't horrible, it's just not the same. And as someone said about season 5 "There is no relationship stuff ebacuse we did so much of it in season 4".

13. JirinPanthosa

Turns out there were only three episodes I missed from last season. I thought it was more.

Jeff meets his Dad: Possibly the best episode of the season as it tapped into some of the emotional baggage of the series.

Physical education education: This is like an average first season episode, they pulled it off.

Evil twins: This one didn't work. I like the idea but it didn't tap into the things that the darkest timeline tapped into. A lot of the more crazy season 4 eps are like that, they remind you of the sort of stuff that would have happened in season 2-3, only they didn't understand why the concept was funny. Season 4 was most successful when they tried to be more like season 1.

14. JirinPanthosa

I just caught up on this season's Parks & Recreation. God that show has gotten depressing. It's always been a satire on how much politics sucks because the voters are idiots, but the good guys aren't unrealistically winning out anymore.

Come back, Dan Harmon Community, come back! You're the last good scripted network show left! Don't make the best comedy on network TV 37 years old, it just can't be!

15. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't found it depressing and, if anything, my beef has been that it's gotten too unrealistic.

For example, the Flouride in the drinking water episode:

• 1. Jamm is an orthodontist, not a dentist. He straightens teeth, he doesn't fix cavities. He would have no financial incentive whatsoever to oppose fluoridated water or want kids to drinking sugary drinks.
      2. When you look at communities that still oppose Flouridation it is as likely to be "progressive" areas that think chemicals in the water are bad as it some backwards rednecks.
      3. Are Leslie and Ben really so naive that they thought Leslie publicly insulting Sweetums wasn't going to have blowback? They've never been portrayed as that stupid before, especially Ben.
      4. They've been spending a hell of a lot of time trying to make Leslie into some sort of voice of reason on good diet lately, which makes no sense when they also claim she's addicted to waffles and hates salads (almost as much as Ron does).

I understand that some of this is probably a need to come up with new plots together with Amy Poehler trying to assert a little of herself into the character but it isn't just unrealistic from a "real world" standpoint, it doesn't fit with the reality of the show and the character.

16. bigdaddy

Fluoride in the water is actually bad for you. That's becoming increasing known. Great for your teeth, horrible for your stomach and bad for your gums. Most "first world countries" don't use it.

The only time I didn't have cavities is when I lived with well water. Also great for the hair, but that's another story.

And what does this have to do with Community people!? :P

17. JirinPanthosa

Parks & Rec was the other good scripted show left on network TV, other than Community, which is why it came up.

I would attribute the flouride issue to poor research done by the writers more than lack of realism. And the idea behind the chemicals thing wasn't "Rednecks are stupid" so much as "People are swayed more by gimmicks and fearmongering than factual arguments". I wouldn't necessarily compare a fact-checking problem to a realism problem.

Leslie and Ben aren't idiots but Leslie has always been bad at self-censoring, so I don't think that was out of character. It was unrealistic for Leslie to win the election in the first place, but it made the show less depressing when she did, and now the reality comes crashing down and the special interest groups and big corporations get their way and get her replaced by another corrupt asshole like Jamm.

18. bigdaddy

Liked the second episode a lot more than the first, however the hologram was a lot of fun. :)

19. JirinPanthosa

I definitely liked the two episodes tonight. They weren't "BEST EPISODE EVER", but they were a sure sign that Community is Community again.

I like the way they reset Chang and I like the excuses they made to keep the show going after they all graduated. And Mike really nailed it.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I missed the first episode, but caught the second episode and enjoyed it a great deal. Abed's little Nic Cage outburst was tremendous! It felt like an old school episode. What a difference with Harmon back.