You died? WHY?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RobertScorpio, Feb 26, 2009.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Our Starship Captains have had to deal with death a lot. What death, Red shirt or whatever, can you directly pin on the captain's bad decisions? And why do you think so?

(movie deaths do not count..series only)

Rob
    Scorpio

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Everyone on board the E-D. I mean the captain can't negotiate a prisoner exchange, and his first officer can't take out a 25-year-old BOP..

And in a sense all those lives are still lost, at least kinda

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Commander (later Captain) Riker outright killed that assassin woman he was in love with in "The Vengeance Factor", and for no damned good reason. What, exactly, would have been wrong with continuously stunning her until she fell down, or beaming her into a containment cell? He was talking to the ship on his communicator while that was going on!

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Sisko killed billions cause he could not handle the dominion correctly, thus the resulting war!

5. black_dranzer

black_dranzer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A Janeway killed her entire crew (except Harry and Naomi) in Deadlock when she self-destructed one of the Voyager twins :bolian:

Kirk gets numerous red-shirts killed by even thinking about letting them go on away missions in the first place :lol:

6. Joemac

Joemac Lieutenant Red Shirt

in "sins of the father" Picard and Worf allowed a cover up by the klingons that resulted in a treacherous and deadly family being left in power. This resulted in the death of the klingon leader K'mpec by poisoning, K'Ehleyr by duras, several klingons by romulan bombs[supplied to duras] many hundreds,if not thousands by a civil war caused by the duras sisters and the romulans. all of this could have been avoided by a simple, " father was a traitor and so is he". Under klingon law duras and family would have been no more and all those lives would have been safe. major mistake.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  7. troisboobs

troisboobs Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This would be a good thread for BSG!

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

First Contact. We can rescue Picard from the Borg, but we'll be danged if we even contemplate trying to find a way to rescue the crew members who have already been assimilated. And when all the assimilated crew members are dead, we return to the present with a big fat smile on our faces.

9. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

You nailed it dude. I call it R.H.I.P.T.N.G

That stands for Rank Has Its Privileges. on The Next Generation...

Or how else could Worf kill a dude in premaditated fashion, then go back to his post as if nothing happened. Or Picard (as Locutus) can kill 16,000 Federation citizens and just go back to his job as if nothing happened. Or how Riker can show much disrespect to a senior officer and just go back to his post with out even a slap on the wrist.

Rob

10. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To quote an infamous Australian politician, "Please explain?"

11. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

I don't get this as it comes up a few times but what are they supposed to do in this situation? Picard got assimiliated and it was reversible, but that was only because he was captured and his crew worked on him over a couple of days or so to get it reversed. With the crew in FC they were assimilated completly as drones and sent out to do there work. Afaik stunning a drone can't be done and the only way to incapicitate it would be to kill it. There would be no time in the situation given to capture all assimilated crew members and put them through a reversal process.

12. ZMistress

ZMistress Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Quoting Lily: "You didn't even try! Where was your evolved sensibility then?"

And that's the thing that always bothered me: There wasn't a single mention about trying another angle than kill 'em all. Even if it turned out to be not possible, they should have least talked about it.

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In hindsight, the First Contact crew probably didn't have to worry about saving assimilated crew members anyway. Taking into consideration that the queen had died and that the assimilated could have been captured, the Enterprise was really just a split-second time jump away from Starfleet HQ. Resources wouldn't have been a problem.

14. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sorry, but I disagree about First Contact. Considering that this was before Voyager, where it was seemingly easier (with The Doctor's expertise) to reverse assimilation, I am not sure what he was expected to do. Remember as well that early on, Sickbay was overrun by the Borg and Dr. Crusher and her team had to flee. Without a sickbay to use, and the ship under constant siege, was there really any realistic way to spend valuable time attempting to save assimilated crewmen? Not to mention the fact that they adapt to weapons and are extremely strong if you want to try and take them alive.

15. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, assuming everything up until the Borg Queen gets KO'd went accordingly just as in the movie, you've still got a ton of Borg bodies on the ship when our heroes head back to the 24th Century.

16. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, that DS9 episode where they meet their descendants from "200 years ago" because in the future the Defiant will be flung there... that could have ended better...

17. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are you talking about the one with the planet that only appears in normal space once every so often?

18. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

No...its the one where SISKO and crew crash land on a planet that is populated by their own prodigy. It seems that the Defiant will, sometime in the future, crash land in the past, on this planet.

I actually liked how it ended. It was depresssing, but that is why I think this is one of the best time travel stories of all time...no quick fix.

Rob

19. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it was the one called Children of Time.

I felt bad for the people- even tho I'm sure the end was quick. It showed the depth of Odo's love for Kira.

I mean they technically did exist, they did live out their lives, so I found it sad they couldn't continue... I guess in the big scheme of things it was probably instantaneous and they didn't see it coming... there are worse ways to die. But I felt a little sorry they all disappeared, and it was good of the crew to be at least willing to sacrifice themselves for those thousands of people.

20. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

It's been a while since I seen the episode but shouldn't the descendants have continued on existing or is the episode using the therory that only one timeline can exist at any one time (or something to that effect)? I mean in one timeline upto the point the Defiant arrives at the planet there are no descendants, the Defiant goes back in time and settles, then second time round the Defiant arrives at the planet, meets the descendancts but this time avoids going back in time thereby (as seen in this episode) cancelling out the descendants existences. But as Marie1 said above technically they existed and should've continued to exist becuase they were now living in a second timeline.

Does this make any sense?