The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Harry

Harry Captain Captain

But err... isn't LEO still quite firmly in the 'gravity well'? ;)

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

It's sitting on the edge of the well, not swimming on the bottom. :)

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

It's an idiotTrek tradition, like why they have decorative art in the refit before they've even TESTED the engines at warp power. And let's not even get started on the EnterpriseTues-B ...

4. Captain Intrepid

Captain Intrepid Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, when you consider that the fabricated parts are probably replicated, why not replicate the livery on them, so as soon as they're installed, you don't have to paint but the seams after they're welded.

5. dubeau

dubeau Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Until I don't see the final look of the bowling room, I won't get excited. I mean, you have to put your priority straight poeples!

6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Well, we haven't seen the final look of the bowling alley, so you should be excited right now! :D

7. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I should have phrased that better.

Let's say a movie was made this year, but set in 1970. One of the characters gets his first car, and it happens to be a Dodge Challenger.

However, instead of the 1970 model, in its place they use the 2008 model.

The argument: "The new Challenger has the same lines as the original, but it's more modern for a 2008 audience."

Is that more clear?

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The difference being that there's no 23rd century for the movie to be set in, any more than there's an historical Krypton for Kal-El to fall from.

Ergo, there's no more or less restriction on redesigning the fictional 23rd century than there has been in redesigning Krypton every few years since the beginning of "Superman" in the comics - and the reason to do so in both cases is simply to update the property to suit evolving tastes and expectations (as well as to let creative comic book and film artists be artists and designers rather than human photocopiers).

My favorite Krypton, BTW, remains Wayne Boring's - from that period of time when he was having all the men on the planet wear those transparent "Saturn's rings" hats. :cool:

9. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

That is not an accurate analogy, because the 1970 are an actual time period and Star Trek's 2360ies aren't.

However, things like that happen, the "hero car" in "Gone in 60 seconds" was supposed to be a muscle car from the late 1960ies, but they didn't go with the original look of the car, but used a modernized version.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

It most certainly is, in story terms.

Was Gone in 60 seconds SET in the 1960s?

If a movie SET in the 1960s uses a car designed in the 2000s, it's WRONG.

Try to wrap your head around it.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Nope, it's not. He's right. This has nothing to do with story, it's about visual design.

12. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I'm convinced the whole teaser sequence is not going to be in the finished film, just for the trailer only. It's been done before, and recently. ILM did a BEAUTIFUL fly-by of Iron Man for that film's trailer, admitting the shot wasn't in the film, just done for the trailer (they say BETTER stuff is actually in the film *drool drool*) As far as the design, I think it's OK so far, but I've only seen 15% of the ship. Let's not get too hasty until we've seen the whole thing. I must admit, though, she DOES look like a technical progression from ENTERPRISE, which is OK for me (I'm a season 3-4 fan). I'm one of the wackos that thinks ENTERPRISE veered into an alternate timeline because of the temporal Cold War, so, I'm thinking that this film is TOS-alternate. This especially makes sense if one knows of the involvement of Nimoy's Spock and what he does in this film. (speculation) I see some tips of the hat to Mr. Probert so far and that makes me happy.

13. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Hmmm... "human photocopiers"...

So why don't these artists and writers simply start with a completely clean sheet of paper, instead of capitalizing on the STAR TREK name?

If you want to see the 2008 Camaro and you don't have time for a 1970 Camaro, then there's nothing wrong with making a NEW TREK with new characters, no Starship Enterprise with "NCC-1701" on the hood, no Jim Kirk, no Spock, etc.

14. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the reason is all about you, in this forum.

15. Addy

Addy Cadet Newbie

No, it's a fine analogy because the 23rd century is as much a real time period in Star Trek's universe as the 1970s are in our universe.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

There is only one known Universe, one known physical reality.

It's the one we live in and are part of.

"Star Trek" takes place in a fictional continuity. For shorthand it's referred to as a "universe." The word usage does not signify that it exists on the same terms as or is equivalent in any way to what we call the Universe.

The phrase "a real time period in Star Trek's universe" is self-contradictory nonsense and drivel.

Any attempt to equate Trek's continuity with reality is logically absurd, untenable and unworthy of respect as a foundation for reasoning. And that is what "it's real in Trek's universe" does.

17. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

...but this film gets made in our universe and not in the Star Trek one ;) so in the universe, in which the film gets made, the 2260ies aren't real.

Forbin, no 60 seconds was contemporary, what i wanted to show is, that this car is supposed to be a classic from 30 years ago in that film, yet they couldn't let it stand as it was but felt the need to "sex it up" for the 1998(?) audience, which is what seems to have happened to our favourite starship.

That most of us here would prefer to see the ship exactly as it appeared in "The Cage" does not change the fact, that the creatives behind that movies felt, that the "general audience" would not accept a 40 year old design in the film and that they had to ""improve"" it.

18. Addy

Addy Cadet Newbie

I guess the phrase "suspension of disbelief" would be equally nonsensical to you, eh?

But at least you managed to be unjustifiably rude in the process. It's appreciated.

19. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the logical trap that's gonna get you labeled a "troublemaker" by the "kewl kids" in here, and get them hitting "report to mod" every time you make a post. Trust me, I know allll about that. There are a half-dozen or so folks in here who'll try ANYTHING to get ME kicked off the BBS. And at least one mod who'll gladly play along. (NOT PTrope, mind you!)

Your logic is inescapable. The argument is "we don't want to be tied down to what's been done before" but the other half of the argument is "we need it to be what came before to get people to come."

It's a classic "bait and switch" argument. The basis of this argument is "you get the people to start watching by fooling them into thinking they're going to see something that they know, then once they've paid to see it, you give them what YOU want to give them, not what they're expecting."

It's about ego ("we can do it better") but also about deceit ("they won't come to see it if I call it something new, so I'll trick them into coming by telling them it's something old. Once I've got their money, they'll have no choice but to sit through it. And since my idea is so much better than the original, they'll decide that my IMPROVEMENTS should replace that old, stale version that they remember.")

Most of what I've seen for this film... script, casting, etc... has been promising. But this uncalled-for ship redesign has put a bad taste into my mouth, and taken what's been a pretty positive perspective on the show overall and turned it into a more cautious one. I'm not sure about anything now.

I know that there are folks who'll argue that it's not important. The answer to them is "so why change it?" There will be other folks who hate the original and want it changed. The answer to them is "so why call it the Enterprise at all?"

Ultimately, this is going to result in the new movie being treated much like the "Lost in Space" movie... as a separate piece. Except in the case of Lost in Space, both the TV show and the movie were abortions. In this case, the TV show is a classic, and we don't know WHAT the movie will be like. But it will inevitably cause a split in the mythos... fans arguing forever after about "which continuity" we're talking about... people choosing sides and fighting. Flame wars, etc.

It's pointless, counterproductive, and ultimately destructive. It may not mean that the film will be a success or a failure, but it will very likely put the final nails into the coffin of classic Trek fandom.

There are those who post here who'll take HUGE pleasure in that, too... and we know who they are.

20. Lord_Schtupp

Lord_Schtupp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My prediction is that they will show a highly detailed but otherwise exact version of our beloved classic 1701 at the very end of the movie, probably rebuilt after the epic battle with the bad guys (whoever they will be). So really the only "canon" that gets violated will be the first pilot episode with Pike.