American Alternative History novels

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tom Hendricks, May 1, 2012.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Was hoping that someone could help me. I did a quick search but didn't really find what I'm looking for.

Basically I'm looking for an American Alternative novel where instead of George Washington and crew creating the bastion of democracy, George Washington was installed as Monarch and major players were made Lords of the realm.

I'm not even sure if there is anything out there like this but knowing how well read many of the board are, I thought this would be a better place to find out.

Want to thank anyone who can help in advance.

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Newt Gingrich wrote a series of Alternate American History novels with a guy named William Forstchen (sp?) but I only read one, and that was set in WWII. I don't know what else is in the series.

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I don't know of a book exactly like that. The only alternative history I'm reading right now is the 1632 series, in which a West Virginia town is transplanted into the 30 Years War and attempts to rebuild America in concept, except in the middle of Germany.

America itself, as a geographical region, has not been addressed much at the point in that series where I am now.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

If anyone has written any thing like the concept, it's probably the king of alternate american history novels, Harry Turtledove.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The closest that I know of is Tom Gatch's King Julian. I've never read it, I've only heard of it. (See this io9 article.)

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is a book by Harry Turtledove and Richard Dreyfuss called The Two Georges where America never gains independence. But it is set in 'modern' times and concerns the theft of a painting. Still, its an interesting book.

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

After reading your reply, I remembered seeing that article on io9. I didn't read it originally but did this time. I do think the novel you recommended, King Julian is exactly what I'm looking for. However it is long out of print and from another article I found on it, very expenses to buy. So I guess I'm out of luck.

While not exactly what I was looking for, the book seams very interesting to me. However its not available on the iPad book store so I will have to find it elsewhere.

Thank you to you both for your responses, I really appreciate it.

8. The Green Mushroom

The Green Mushroom Commander Red Shirt

I've read most of Turtledove's work and I can say with a great deal of certainty that he hasn't written that. He's written a novel where there was no Revolution and Washington is remembered as a leader of a peace party that negotiated the end of colonial grievances, but America remained and remains under British rule. Nixon ended up as a used car salesman while MLK was the governor general during the story.

I can't think of any novel like the one described in the original post.