X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't thunk they're ignoring anything on this one.
    We've seen Prof. X going to visit Erik in prison after trying to murder one of his students.(Rogue)
    We saw them continue to be friends after Erik tried to booby trap Cerebro.
    So it shouldn't be of much surprise that they would join forces again in the future.
    They still could have recruited Jean & rebuilt Cerebro.

Astral projection?

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I would say the paralysis thing is a bit of a retcon. You can rationalize it, but the answer is that it's better for the story.

3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Recent comments from Vaughn have, for me, effectively ended the confusion about whether or not FC is a reboot or a prequel (it's the former), and also seem to indicate that he took an approach similar to the one that J.J. Abrams and Co. did with their new Star Trek film (in that he acknowledged the previous films where appropriate, but without making himself beholden to them).

I would like to see Laura Shuler-Donner and Bryan Singer comment on the film in light of Vaughn's comments, given that the majority of the comments they've made in the past are what led to the 'prequel vs reboot' confusion in the first place.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Congrats. You got the reference.

5. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it hadn't done well, it was a companion prequel, a one off hypothesis on how things happened. I think when they start mention reboot, it means that they hope to have sequels here and want to free themselves from having to be consistent with the originals. I think my one complaint overall about this movie is that maybe it should have been two parts to begin with- Just an Xavier and Magneto movie and then a creation and recruitment film exploring younger players. However, I don't think the producers felt they had the kind of time to do that, you know what I mean? Kind of like the first Lord of the Rings cartoon that just falls off at the end with no resolution.

I want to see a Brotherhood movie next! :)

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

This the only X-Men movie that I've really enjoyed. It's also the only Marvel movie that I would recommend to others. Though, some of the other Marvel movies have been moderately entertaining.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

As some people have already mentioned, I just didn't care about most of the characters in this film. I know Xavier and Magneto were supposed to be the main focus, but I would have liked SOME investment in the others. Emma Frost was fucking boring, and who the fuck was Tornado Guy?

As for the story...I dunno...I wasn't all that into it.

I think I give this movie a C. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly memorable. The trailer was better.

8. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really liked it, easily the best X-Men film besides X-Men United, with 1 being a little bit above average, the 2nd being an A film, and the third being a F.

This is an A- (barely almost a B+). Some minor quibble with tone, and with some questionable acting by the cast, though not the two leads who were excellent.

Minor complaints is the military attacking the Island, not that they did attack, but what they fired one round from each gun and then stopped, sorry I have never seen combat like that with the navy. Especially in that day and age (well and earlier) where barrage would be one after another, not just one volley.

Hated Azazel, hated Diamond form Emma, but I hate how modern Marvel created (or added those elements to the X-Men in the first place).

Loved the setting (as it is a near match for the start of the X-Men comic being early 60's). In a few ways a nice bit of connection to X-Men #1.

Didn't care for the "X-Men" choices besides Banshee.

But in most forms of the X-Men (and its various alternate timelines, reboots, and reality alteration the two first characters typically are Scoot and Jean. And personally I missed them (though Xavier seeing Ororo is an extremely subtile nod to X-Men 117), and one assumes the other two children in color (ie mutants) were Scott and Jean.

Disliked the americanization of a few characters (especially in a market place that is general gears itself to market beyond the US it seems some what shortsided).

But dialogue, theme, and tone were very well handled. They could have grounded it a bit more to add to the drama, but its not a big flaw.

A bigger flaw is that the X-Men train for what less then a week, and manage to not only master (to a degree) their abilities, but create technology to help them, really seems a little much.

But quibbles aside, its a fast improvement over Origins and X3, and if it can do enough business overseas and in the home market, hopefully they improve what they started.

I am certainly looking forward to more.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Are you kidding? Banshee was the worst! Oh, look, I can emit a loud, super-sonic noise that allows me to fly over any surface when I wear a sky-flight suit.... somehow.

Darwin, Havoc, the wasp-lady all of them I could go along with (though we really didn't see Darwin do anything useful with his powers in the course of the movie) but fucking Banshee?!

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Please no, do not want. You don't need mutants to explain Dealey Plaza.

( Besides, we all know Kennedy was killed by Comedian shooting from the fence, but I guess that's non-Marvel continuity. )

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I thought Banshee was a great choice, and he's one of the more well-known X-Men characters as well, which made his presence a lot easier to swallow.

I admit I'm not a huge reader of the comics, but I've never even heard of Darwin or Angel.

12. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

Darwin's only been around for five or six years.

And Angel has only been around for ten now. I want to say she popped up shortly before the last time Jean Grey died, still saying she'll come back any day now.

So it's understandable that you don't know who they are.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Angel is a terrible name for that girl, too. X-Men already has a character named Angel, and he's way better.

I would call her Dragonfly.

14. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree she didn't even have angel wings. Angel was her stripper name. Dragonfly or Dragonbreath would have been fitting.

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Darwin came out of that awful All-New, All-Different X-Men retcon but he's a pretty cool character who has an awesome mutant ability. He's currently co-starring in the X-Factor comic, although he's on hiatus from the team.

16. HoneyBLilly

Isn't this the one where there is like no one there anymore, not even Professor X?

And I agree, Dragonfly would be a better name, or Firefly.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Does her butt glow?

18. HoneyBLilly

When it's covered in tanning oil, duh. ;)

No, but when I saw her wings I though of a firefly for some reason, I was thinking of a dragonfly but couldn't get the name out to save my life. So firefly stuck.

19. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She hocks fireballs like loogies. Angel is her real name too right? Angel Salvator?

20. HoneyBLilly

Yeah it is.

And this is actually what she looks like so Dragonfly would have been much more acceptable
    [​IMG]