Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old November 19 2014, 01:35 AM   #196
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Phase II Enterprise Study Model

Well, as I said, it was perhaps one sketch that indicated a green color.

I'm not sure what you mean about "blue sensitive" as the blue was typically separated via filtering in the matte generating process.

As to the D: the 6-footer doesn't look gray on the blu-rays, especially in close shots. Also, Andy Probert says the color of ships was sometimes dialed down in post, so who knows what the P2 ship would have actually looked like on TV in 1978?

As to the D's nacelle caps, I showed that video to Andy and had never seen that before. He says it wasn't what he intended. My guess is that the producers just didn't like it and just never turned it on, just leaving the red glow.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2014, 03:47 AM   #197
Shaw
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what you mean about "blue sensitive" as the blue was typically separated via filtering in the matte generating process.
Okay... I guess we could talk about how mattes were made, which was using a special film emulsion sensitive to a specific color (blue, green and sometimes orange), it was chroma keyed to that color by the manufacturer of the film. When effects footage using that color as a background was exposed to the matte film, you ended up with white (clear) areas for that color and black every where else. Additionally, you could vary the matte by changing the intensity of the light projected through the original footage.

But all of this is done via the chemistry of the emulsion to make it sensitive to very specific colors. There wasn't a point and click process to select a color range to exclude or include, it was all done chemically on special film that was designed to work with a specific color.

Does that help explain it?
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2014, 05:14 AM   #198
Albertese
Commodore

I'm gonna guess Maurice of all people knows how it works....

I remember once some guy shut me down about my misconceptions about optical matting and I think (could be remembering wrong) it was this guy...

--Alex
Old November 19 2014, 06:01 AM   #199
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

I'm well aware of how traveling mattes work. I poorly phrased my comment about the bluescreen. I meant to asking for clarification on what process you thought they'd be using, because there are a number of methods for generating the mattes, and color sensitive stock doesn't necessarily come into play, since many times mattes were generated via filters when printing to high-con b&w stock rather than using a high-con stock with a particular color sensitivity.

(For those who are interested, here's a pretty good explanation of how bluescreen worked (LINK) from the 60s up to the digital age. I set the in point to right where the discussion of that process starts, but the whole video is pretty interesting. )
Old November 19 2014, 09:44 AM   #200
Shaw
Commodore

Albertese wrote: View Post
I remember once some guy shut me down about my misconceptions about optical matting and I think (could be remembering wrong) it was this guy...
I hope Maurice's intensions weren't to shut me down. My time is too limited right now to play internet games and I only took the time to respond to Maurice's question because I assumed it was an honest one. I was walked through the process first hand back in the 80's and with limited time I gave him the best answer I could.

I'm happy to share information, but I don't have time for games right now.

I'd like to believe that Maurice's intensions were honest and honorable, but I can't afford the time if it was all intended to try to play one-upmanship.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2014, 04:20 PM   #201
Albertese
Commodore

Oh, no, please don't misunderstand me. I'm not suggesting anyone is doing that. Both of you guys strike me as knowledgeable men who are kind enough to share your knowledge with the rest of us amateurs. I appreciate your efforts.

In fact both of you guys are currently the posters I most look forward to reading as you both have such great insights.

Please carry on, gentlemen!

--Alex
Old November 20 2014, 12:08 AM   #202
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

I don't play one-up games. I'm only interested in factual information, not who's "right".