Castle Season 5 (including Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by FPAlpha, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

Nathan's name has been tossed around here and there as a possible Han Solo if the Disney Star Wars picks up shortly after EP 6.

2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well.. Malcolm Reynolds was very close in style and attitude to Han Solo so it's not a stretch (and i think he'd be a great middle aged Han Solo).

However i think Mal is getting a bit too old for roles like these and if they start shooting sometime in 2013 for a 2015 release he may still be occupied with Castle and not available.

Depending on the story it could also be that Harrison Ford himself might pick up the role.. he let it slip that he might be interested.

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Depends on how old they need Han to be, I guess - 50ish or 70ish.

4. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

Ford has also stated he only wants to play Solo again if they kill him off.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sounds familiar. Maybe he'll agree to be resurrected in the next movie if they let him direct. Do Corellians have katras?

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dennis Quaid

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Castle" returns from winter hiatus tonight. It looks like a fun show too with the return of Rick's first ex-wife (Meredith, the mother of Alexis).

Really enjoyed this episode. Meredith certainly left with an impact, especially the ending where she I assume put some doubt about Rick in Kate's eyes. I almost didn't recognize Victoria Pratt (Mutant X) as the killer, nice to see her again. Also a mention of Rick's father, whom we will finally be seeing I think next month. Looks like we're in for a fun second half of the season.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Lots of great funny scenes tonight. I totally guessed the murder plot once they showed the picture of the supposedly dead wife. I instantly recognized Victoria Pratt and knew she had faked her death and killed the lawyer.

9. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

Well that was... a bit different. It was kind of funny how Castle kept on echoing the other cop's words on when Meredith and Beckett came back from the dinner date. Castle was really wound up and got to his senses a bit late to the game.

I liked how Castle's daughter and mother all nodded heads on how to chase Meredith off and his mother's off the cuff remark on "freeloaders".

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

"Surrounded by redheads."

Mmmm......

11. Christopher

I didn't care for this one. Too much focus on contrived relationship angst to the detriment of the mystery. This is the sort of writing that makes so many romantic shows go downhill once the unresolved sexual tension turns into an active romance -- the writers just have to contrive all sorts of crises and turmoil in the relationship to keep generating conflict, and it gets too melodramatic.

And even the parts that weren't about Castle & Beckett weren't very funny. The whole art-smashing sequence between the divorcees was broad to the point of camp. And I have to wonder about Beckett just standing there and doing nothing. I mean, if the property had been divided between them already, then the ex-wife no longer had any ownership rights to the property she destroyed. I looked up New York State laws, and given that the cumulative value of the destroyed property was surely well over $1500, that would make both ex-spouses guilty of criminal mischief in the second degree, which is a Class D felony and carries a penalty of up to seven years in prison. I know Beckett's a homicide cop, but she's not supposed to just stand there and watch while someone commits a string of felonies right in front of her.

12. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^ Well it appears that she did arrest them both; but I agree with you, this was one of their weaker episodes. The mystery itself was could have also been done a whole lot better, and it suffered for the sake of the relationship story. I did enjoy the scene where Esposito and Ryan were freaking out Castle though, that made me laugh.

13. Christopher

Yeah, but only after she'd stood there and done nothing while they smashed or destroyed a lot of stuff. And only because, implicitly, they continued to smash stuff after she'd said that the next smash would get them arrested, implying that she wouldn't have arrested them for the previous acts of second-degree criminal mischief. And there was no later indication that they were in any legal trouble for their acts.

My favorite part was how Beckett and Meredith ultimately handled the whole thing a lot more maturely than the men (or Lanie) expected them to.

14. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My thinking is that since she was investigating a murder, Beckett didn't really care about what the woman was doing since it didn't endanger anyone else, she just wanted to get some answers about the case. Finally when the guy showed up and it became a smash-fest Beckett knew she wasn't going to get anywhere with them unless she flexed her police muscle. I assusme that in real life a detective actively working a case wouldn't care too much about a driver failing to signal a turn or some other relatively minor issue in an effort to solve their case. I imagine the paperwork involved in processing those two art smashing lunatics took a while.

15. Christopher

She could've at least mentioned that it was a felony. After all, if she wanted the ex-wife to stop smashing stuff and focus on answering her questions, the most efficient way to do so would've been to tell her that she risked jail time if she didn't stop. Sure, Beckett did that eventually, but my point is that it came far too late, that both in terms of the law and her own interest in getting quick answers, she should've threatened arrest after the first act of destruction, not just stood passively through about a dozen more.

That's a moving violation, not even serious enough to count as a misdemeanor unless it gets someone hurt (it belongs to the lesser category of "infraction"). We're talking about a serious property crime, a felony that can get you up to 7 years in prison. Class D felonies include some pretty significant crimes like varying degrees of assault, fraud, bribery, and drug dealing. The point is that while the episode treated it as minor, New York law actually takes it much more seriously.

16. Admiral_Young

I'm also assuming they were arrested as part of the episode's motif of ex's as a joke. The score was positively playful during the entire sequence, especially during the breaking of the vases, etc. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously, even as part of their investigation and it would get paid off later on when they revisited Walter again.

17. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Poor Castle. He never stood a chance, fair or otherwise. :lol: I'm on his side because despite Beckett's protests to the contrary... it's her who can't stay in the same place as Meredith. ;)

18. Admiral_Young

Meredith was awesome and made the episode for me :)

19. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I have to say I was thinking almost exactly the same thing as I watched the episode last night. I can't say it was one of my favourites.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know about you, but the lack of realism in a show where an untrained, unarmed writer is allowed to be the partner of an NYPD detective and solves 22 murders a year for free just takes me out of the storytelling.