I Want This as a Star Wars Film Now

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Locutus of Bored, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

It was more a rhetorical question... and I'm with you on being sick of "Jedi garbage" if there's never more than two or three combatants on both sides of a saber battle. Individual Clones Wars eps are doubtless better than the PT movies, but they're still working with a fundamentally misguided framework. ;)

2. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Fuck yeah.

3. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, this is why I'm disappointed that we're getting an MMO instead of a real game. I think that KoTOR2 is perhaps one of the best and most interesting Star Wars stories in the entire canon.
    It was shrouded in shades of gray and could be manipulated in many ways so that even the ancillary characters could shift from "good" to "bad" or vice-versa. They did Lando but with even more complexity.

Well, there's that. When I watch the series, I forget that the movies happened because that's the only way I can enjoy it. :p

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

No, no you're not, and I question whether you even read the grading and discussion threads if you think you are. Run a search and check the old Clone Wars topics. There was plenty of interest, mostly positive reviews, and a lot of people pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the series.

Oh, I'm sure the final product won't bear much of a resemblance to this trailer beyond the broad strokes, but I didn't care about the MMO game to begin with. I just liked the trailer.

That would depend on the quality of the movie, don't you think? You think people actually give a damn about a few slow-mo shots if it's a good movie?

I loved 'Watchmen' (slow-mo shots and all), so the Zack Snyder criticism doesn't really mean much to me, anyway.

They're not mindless action by any means, nor are they lacking or too complex in plot. They're just sort of... dumb. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy them, but that's not to say that they weren't extremely disappointing.

A film made from this could of course be equally dumb, but the comparison to the PT is kind of pointless at this stage since it's obviously not a movie yet. I just see potential to make something great from this.

Well, speaking for myself, and a few others said the same, I was hoping for the Jedi and Sith to face off in larger scale battles like this since it was supposed to be back before they were almost completely wiped out and turned into a thing of myth. Then we get the stupid "rule of two" crap with the Sith. That's the only comparison I made with the PT.

5. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

For an example of fanboy, just read your post again.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

For one, I never made the Zack Snyder reference. Don't get defensive towards me about it.

That being said, are you that naive? I know you have been in the various grading/discussion forums here. People bitch about the dumbest things. I personally could care less about slo-mo/fast-mo, but you can't deny that there would be a contingent of people who would bellyache and moan saying, "OMG! Lucass is ripping off 300! and the Watchman!!!11!!one!! He's such a hack! Burn his house down!!!!11!!"

And, yes, the story would have to be good. But, we are not talking about that. We are talking about a trailer. Every time a high-profile trailer comes out, people bitch about the dumbest things. For one, Star Trek. Remember people bitching about the Enterprise being build on Earth during the very vague Cloverfield trailer? Or the later trailer that showed Spock attacking Kirk and people were bitching that Spock would never attack Kirk (even though they were presented evidence to the contrary)!

People are prone to bitching. I go back to my original point: If this was a trailer for a real Star Wars movie, people would rip it to shreds.

If the comparison to the PT is pointless, how come people here are going on and on about how this trailer is better than all the PT movies combined?

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Don't kid yourself, you're one too, as is everyone else in this topic and most of the people on the board. Fanboy when used as a pejorative term is just one group of fans poorly attempting to look down on another group of fans who happen to like things they don't, so they can feel better about themselves. Sometimes they just throw it out there as an insult when they don't even have a clue why, like you just did because you couldn't respond to the content of the post.

You said QFT. Unless the meaning of that has changed, I would assume that means you agreed with what T'Baio said, right?

I was addressing both of your comments, not just yours. The Snyder reference would quite obviously be addressing his post, not yours.

So what? Yes, there's always going to be a fringe group bitching about stupid things. The difference is between it being a fringe group and it being "all" or "many" or a majority of the audience making such complaints, which is what I took issue with.

Yeah, I remember the Trek XI trailer(s) and the reaction. And I remember the vast majority of people liking it. See my point above.

Look, this whole argument is getting silly, and it's not even about the merits or lack thereof of the trailer anymore. I simply object to painting the majority of people responding in this topic with the same broad brush. That's all.

8. Broccoli

Yes, the argument is getting silly. I still maintain that if this was released as a prequel trailer, particularly after Episode I, regardless at how cool it may look, it would not be getting the love that it is receiving in this thread.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

To be fair, movie trailers and video game trailers are trying to accomplish different goals. I think, for a video game, this is an awesome trailer, but there really aren't any character or plot elements for me to have any idea what it would be like as a movie.

10. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Carefull what you wish for!:D

11. Broccoli

I completely agree with that assessment. As a video game trailer, it does it's job very well.