I Want This as a Star Wars Film Now

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Locutus of Bored, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Here's the four minute 'Deceived' E3 cinematic trailer for the 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' MMO game which is set about 3,500 years before the Prequels/OT and 300 years after the KOTOR games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sainKIZ8vI

While obviously making a trailer is a lot easier and different than making a feature length film, you can tell that the people behind the trailer just get it, and I think they would be able to make an exciting and compelling Star Wars film if given the opportunity by George Lucas. There's almost zero chance of that ever happening, of course, despite Lucas letting others play in the sandbox for the TV productions, but one can dream.

You can find more information on the setting below, and see some great concept art amongst other things at the main site.

http://www.swtor.com/info/story/setting

2. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly. That was better than all three prequels.

3. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been pretty negative about this game mainly for two reasons - I don't like MMOs and the setting hundreds of years post KOTOR2, but I recently watched some of the background story vids and I'm starting to dig the story now.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

That sort of hyper-real animation does indeed look wonderful during very complex (and thus very expensive) cinematics such as that one, but I think I'd rather see Clone Wars-type facial models for longer video/tv eps/movies.

That said, yes, yes, yes! The "only two Sith" rule was a catastrophic error. The Jedi charge in Clones was good, but this is better, along with no damn droids. I wanted massive saber fights in at least one prequel. I wanted this.

5. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing is I don't see how this translates to an MMO. The developers are talking a lot how they want to have a progressive story and not just be a mindless leveling up of quests with no real impact to things. Ok I get that, but umm once you complete the story element then what?

It sounds like it'll just be KOTOR, but with you able to interact with other players. I'm sure there will be 'guild' type elements to it, but I know they've also said the storyline and a lot of the game will be able to be completed solo.

6. Locutus of Bored

Absolutely. This is exactly what I had always pictured and hoped for in the Prequels.

7. kalysto

kalysto Captain Captain

I'm also curious how this will fare as an MMO, because didn't the entire world want KoTOR3? Anyways, I'm looking forward to it despite wanting a direct continuation of the old storyline, and I'm hoping it plays as great as it's looking!

8. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

What works in games doesn't necessarily work in movies, and what fanboys like isn't necessarily what the general audience would like.

9. Locutus of Bored

What part of the general audience that liked either the OT or Prequels would be opposed to large scale lightsaber fights between Jedi and Sith? I'm not talking about a two hour ongoing battle; there would obviously have to be a compelling story and characters wrapped around it for the movie to be viable. But I just don't see what is particularly "fanboy" exclusive about this.

10. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy shit, that clip was amazing!

I want to see more!

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against this game, and I don't pretend to know what people might get interested in. I'm speaking in general terms here. In my experience, there are some things that fanboys (i.e. people like you and me) enjoy and look forward to that leave regular folks completely cold.

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

So, the Star Wars galaxy was seemingly just as technologically advanced hundreds of years before the prequels as it was in the prequels?

13. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Star Wars has been depicted as technologically stagnant for a long time now.

14. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Its those stupid Jedi holding technology back. Peaceful guardians bah. I always play the Sith in these games. That trailer looked really good, and would have made a great scene for a movie.

15. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

:eek: Oh - my - agod!!! :eek:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I know man, geek-gasm.

I've always chalked up the stangant tech to the wars. With the Jedi and Sith basically taking genocidal shots at each other every few hundred years tech in the galaxy keeps getting knocked back as planets and civlizations are wiped out over and again. Not to mention probably a certain amount of, at least at first, deliberate retardation of tech of Sith orgins but could still be useful to the general populace.

17. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Just gotta wait for Lucas to die, then we'll get all the really great Star Wars stories we can stomach. Guaranteed.

18. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

In Bioware We Trust.

Everything Lucas got wrong, Bioware got EVER SO MUCH right in KOTOR 1. It's the true heir to The Originals. Make no mistake about it.

19. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    QFFT!

Me want! Me want!!! :drool:

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Snagged me some new avas just now:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyone wants them, feel free to use them.