Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 23, 2012.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

25.6%
  2. A

27.3%
  3. A-

16.5%
  4. B+

8.5%
  5. B

4.5%
  6. B-

6.3%
  7. C+

2.3%
  8. C

2.3%
  9. C-

4.0%
  10. D+

1.1%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1.1%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

[highlight]***SPOILERS AHEAD***[/highlight]

[​IMG]

Official Website | IMDb Page | Wikipedia Entry
    Box Office Mojo Page | Rotten Tomatoes Page | Metacritic Page

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWe4wm7JcE[/yt]​

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

A little early yet for this isn't it? Perhaps not for the UK release which is less than a week away, but we're still three weeks from the North American release.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Tomorrow's the UK premiere, then we have the UK release in 4 days, so I'm making it available.

I see that the movie is getting a lot of praise from those who've seen it, so that's good. And I still haven't heard Adele's song, so that'll be a surprise.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

FYI. Might warn people about spoilers since it will be out before the US release date.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does it look like there will be lots and lots of Judi Dench in this one or is that just my wishful thinking?

6. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I have high hopes for this one. The Trailers are great and the early reviews are positive. I really want a rebound after Quantum of Solace (one of my least favorites of the entire series.)

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

M looks to be a central figure to the plot as the trailers and plot description reveal, so yes I would say that there will be a satisfying amount of Dame Judi in the movie :)

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

A grading and discussion thread implies that there will be spoilers. As for the thread starting now a few days before the UK general release. I don't remember seeing many threads waiting for a UK/International release when that occurs after a US release. You can't apply a form of double standards, expect others to wait for a thread to be started because it hasn't been released yet in a particular country. Or we would be waiting weeks if not months till it had come out in all countries. The fairest and simplist way is to create the thread when a film/TV series first comes out no matter the country in which it first comes out.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:: claps ::

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

She's the naked girl in the credits

;)

11. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

*snorts coffee*

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

woo hoo!

:rofl:

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Not long now until it's out.

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

28 hours and 16 minutes till I see it...

16. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I've got the tickets too see the 21:15 showing on Saturday evening. Both me and the other half work till latish tomorrow and off on Saturday!

Am rather looking forward to it. I might even say a few words when we get in on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Exactly, it makes perfect 100% sense to make a thread about Skyfall days before it's release in the UK as that's one of the first places it's being released.

Was it the same when The Avengers came out here before America or four years ago when Quantum of Solace was released here before the colonies?

17. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are some Bond films that can be accused of sticking rigidly close to formula. This isn't one.

You could call it 'The World is Not Enough' done right. A Villain with a close connection to 'M', MI6 being closed due to an explosion and a more personal assignment for Bond.
    But on the other hand it feels unlike any other film in the franchise. Bond is usually the example held up to show how all those screen writing books are wrong as here is a character who doesn't change but Skyfall is one of the few to give Bond a clear character arc.

Bond is shot in the pre-title sequence and spends three months living the quiet life until he hears about a terrorist attack on London and decides to come in from the cold. He's bitter towards M who ordered him shot and in a training sequence we learn he is no longer the crack marksman he once and as one character remarks in "a young man's game" which gives it a similar tone to Star Trek II which also features a hero dealing with aging. With Craig having signed on for two more films its an odd time to bring such a subject up.

Overall it's a good film and a welcome return to form after Quantum of Solace but refreshingly different from the 'cookie cutter' formula that hold some of the series back.

18. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Just got back from seeing it. I gave it an A+. It's a great celebration of the Bond legacy and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now for the spoilery bits, so look away now...

SPOILERS!

It almost feels like this should have been the movie to relaunch the franchise with its theme of rebirth and the re-introduction of familiar Bond characters. At times it can feel a bit out of place compared to the previous two films, but Bond has never really had story arcs which span over films so it's not too jarring.

I'm glad that the film focused on M just as much (if not moreso) as Bond as I've really enjoyed Judi Dench in the role and I'm glad she got a lot of screentime in her swansong. I did like the new Q and I'm sure Ralph Fiennes will be good as the new M. Just before Moneypenny was revealed I did think 'Hmm, have we heard her last name yet,' and it was nice to see the office from the classic Bond films.

I only have two minor complaints - one is that Javier Bardem is so good that I wish he had more screentime, but I suppose less is more. The other is that there wasn't really a Bond girl, on the way back I saw a poster with umm...I can't remember her name, but really she was only in the film for a handful of minutes.

Although the running time was quite lengthy its one of those films that doesn't drag, and it really didn't feel like two hours and a half had gone by. It looked absolutely stunning too, a couple of my favourite scenes were the silhouette fight early in the film between Bond & Patrice and the shot of Silva walking away from the blazing Skyfall.

Speaking of Skyfall it was good that we got a glimpse into Bond's past but I'm glad they didn't give us too much details. I quite like not knowing exactly how Bond became Bond.

Oh, and I hope the gun barrel will be back at the start from now on.

19. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Saw it today. I thought it was fantastic.

Great opening scene that sucked me right in. Bardem was over the top but it really worked for me, I love the eccentric psychopath role he played - no doubt one of my favorite Bond baddies. It felt different from
    pretty much all the Bond films and it was interesting to see him struggling so much when he came back from being the coolest drunk ever. It made Shanghai look like the coolest city that's ever existed, brilliantly shot. Was also great to see so much of it shot in London too. Was interesting to see tidbits from Bond's past and I loved the last words that M had for him considering their confrontational past over the last 3 movies.

Can't recommend it enough.

20. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was very lucky to have a ticket for the World Premiere on Tuesday night and I've just seen it again in the IMAX. I loved it. I think it's a fantastic Bond movie. Craig now owns this role. The acting in general is of a very high standard. London made for a very fitting setting for much of the action and it was surpringly funny. The photography is beautiful and the whole thing seems to have been done with great love and care. It is at once fresh and classic, a wonderful way to mark the 50th anniversary.