Civilization V

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hermiod, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I really want to play it, but I'm worried if my computer will be able to handle it. It's getting rather elderly...

2. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

So the change that I'm most happiest and also the most frustrated with is the combat.

I love how stacks are gone and how ranged units are actually ranged. It's feels really tactical now to actually arrange your units into a real army with flanking and terrain really coming in to play. On the other hand, manuvering your units into place can be an exercise in frustration, especially in hilly terrain where most units can only move 1 tile per turn. In a game I was playing today, I was trying to defend a city state from the evil forces of France, but the city state was right next to another neutral city state which had its own units roaming around the area. It became a horrible nightmare to get anything where I wanted it because the neutral city state kept inadvertently running interference and everything just became gridlocked. I imagine that after some more practice it won't be nearly as annoying, but it'll take some getting used to.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

If you guys aren't sure if you can handle the game, try the demo and see how well it runs. It feels about the same as Civ4 from my end (and canyourunit said I couldn't run it).

4. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Yup, I ran it for a bit this morning (surprised I made it to work... :lol:). My computer can handle it. For the first 20 turns anyways. :p

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mine ran the demo fine with the settings automatically chosen (half low, half medium, and textures high for some reason) and I thought it looked great and it ran smoother than the initial build of Civ IV. Admittedly, that was only the first 100 turns and I only had 5 units at that point in the game, once I get to the modern era on a huge map with units all over the place, my PC may explode.

6. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's sad that the only way I can seem to play this is in grid mode. Even in DX9 mode, I'll get a random crash to desktop.

I can see getting sucked into this though. Which is why I'm not going to play it for a while. :lol:

7. Alidar Jarok

I tried to only play the demo and not buy the game to avoid wasting too much time (I have law school to worry about). I've played the demo to completion three times already. Last night I started it at 11:00 pm and played the whole thing. Gah!

8. Arrqh

The city states really make things so much more interesting. France just instigated a continent wide war in my game by declaring war on a city state I was protecting... all of a sudden France and half the city states in the world are fighting me and the other half! This thing could happen in previous Civ's, but adding all the city states into the mix just makes it much more complex and interesting.

9. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

^I got one of those situations in Civ 4 once----another civ abruptly declared war on me, so I rallied my allies and bribed those who were neutral, and suddenly everyone in the world is descending on this hapless aggressor. They went from about 15 cities to none in something like 6 turns.

10. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

So what's the oldest/cheapest system you can run it on? I'm planning to upgrade my PC for CivV (it's better than installing Windows on my Macbook Pro) but my budget is minimal. The current machine is ages old Pentium 4... and I have the feeling that that won't cut it. :lol:

11. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't seem to get it to run smooth on my system, way over the recommended requirements, and its a dog.

12. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Okay, I found something that is annoying. I have a dual-monitor setup playing Civ on the right screen. So whenever I move my mouse to the left side of the screen, it goes off on to the other screen and doesn't scroll.

Has anyone else encountered this?

13. Arrqh

Yes, but I think I had that problem in Civ4 too. In Civ5 if you click and hold anywhere on the game screen you can scroll that way instead. Personally I think that works better then edge scrolling anyway!

14. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

I am able to run this game with a Pentium 4, which is well below minimum specs. I do have 4 mb ram, and an ATI in the 5000s. So that's about recommended.

Fwiw, I absolutely love the changes, the interface is much improved with one major exception. There is know direct understanding of enemy civs relations to you. Like in Civ 4, it would tell you "-4 you made an arrogant demand". That is gone and needs to be reintroduced imo.

It's all a little simplified, making choices more friendly for casuals, but the depth is there. Workers are still moronic when automated.

15. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Ah, I will have to try the demo. Although I still do want to upgrade (my husband is rolling his eyes and saying "you want to build a new computer just for ONE GAME?" Alas, he does not understand Civ) .

16. Alidar Jarok

I usually plan my computer upgrades around Civ games. Although this time my new computer is on the low end.

17. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm loving the game so far. Finished my first game last night, I was the Persians and had a pretty epic war with Germany that ended with me having an entire continent to myself to work on my culture upgrades while the other Civs duked it out on the far side of the world.

18. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Damnit!

I was happily playing along with my continually expanding Greek empire, researching away, making friends with city-states, thinking about taking on Rome...

... and the damn demo ends! :mad:

:p

19. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

I downloaded the demo and got all excited when the video began to play... only to be very disappointed when the thing would crash right after the game part started. Oh well, did not think it would work on this old machine.

20. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

4MB of RAM? That's some seriously low system requirements. Are you running Dos or Win95? Himem or Lowmem? ;)