Civilization V

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hermiod, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Sorry for the Zombiefication but we have a release date: 21st September for the US and the 24th for Europe.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Looking forward to it! Thanks for the update... :techman:

3. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

One week after my final semester of art academy starts. I am doomed. :wtf:

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Uh, more importantly, the Civ list and descriptions are up at www.civilization5.com

Some obvious and some not so obvious civ choices there.

5. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

More like majorly doomed and yep they still need a unit editor that was the fun thing about moo.

6. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

No Zulus? How Shaka'ing!

No love for Spain, either. Or the Incas...gotta wait for expansion.

7. omegaone

omegaone Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ugh was going to pre order the digital deluxe edition on steam now rather than earlier but now it has disappeared for us Aussies grrr :scream:

8. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always wait till the gold edition anyhow.

9. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

At least they went with young Catherine. That old bitty in Civ 3 gave me those dirty looks.

IIRC, she was young in Cvi 4, which I hardly ever played and would if my father hadn't lost one of the discs.

Though nothing beat Civ 1's Joe Stalin with some dark skinned tribal advisers around him.

Or Civ 2's Elvis advisor.

Or...yeah...

10. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I can't wait for this game. I've played every version of it since the first one. I haven't seen anything yet about map making though. Map making sucked in Civ IV, in fact it wasn't even map making, it was just a way to cheat. I hope they bring back that ability to create your own worlds and then play on them.

As to non-infinate resources, that sounds like a pain in the ass to me.

11. GabeHimself

GabeHimself Commodore Commodore

No Spain. I wonder why?

I wonder if people would feel okay if the English, the Germans, the French or the Russians were left out of the game?

I love Civilization, but I'm not buying this until they put Spain in. I'm so sick of this bias.

12. GabeHimself

GabeHimself Commodore Commodore

13. Alidar Jarok

Spanish language version of the game could be sold in Mexico where the Aztecs are :p

I assume Spain will be in the very first expansion of the game. In Civ3 they were as well (there seems to be a trend where they appear every other game first).

14. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it looks like they tried to get civs from different levels so it wasn't all just super powers. I imagine there are tons of other asian civs that were bigger than Myanmar and African civs than the Songhai. They probably held back Spain to headline the next expansion so it wasn't just a grab-bag of obscure civilizations.

15. Alidar Jarok

I actually don't think there was a bigger African civilization than Songhai (unless Mali counts and that was the same geographic region). The only way this wouldn't be true is if you count Mediterranean civs and, in that case, the only bigger one was Egypt (in terms of impact, not size or probably even wealth). Carthage might be third.

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone play it yet?

It's not out here until Friday, and I wont have the time to play it even then, but I tried out the demo tonight for an hour and it's as addictive as ever. Hexes are great, they shake up the gameplay a fair bit. It's fantastic that cities can defend themselves now, it allows you to explore earlier without the threat of barbarians pillaging your land. City-states are good, they make the map feel more active at the beginning. I didn't figure out how to get citizens to work specific tiles, I really hope they haven't removed that from the game because it was constantly putting workers on tiles I didn't want it to.

I played for 100 turns, then it kicked me off. :( I might not get another chance to play it for another 2 weeks.

17. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I can't wait to play it. I don't have the money right this second to buy it, but once I do, buy it I will, and play it I will. I'm a huge CIV fan.

18. Alidar Jarok

I played the demo. It was a blast. I'll give the real game a shot after I make sure I have the money to pay for it. I'm getting the deluxe edition because I'm a sucker and it adds Babylon (who is really cool).

19. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Preordered on Steam a few months ago, played it quite a bit today. When I close my eyes now all I can see is a hex grid. This is gonna be rough :lol:

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I'm going to try and buy a new Desktop computer with the updated graphics card and I-Processor, the 6 GB RAM, and when I do I'm going to see if I have any money left for this and Starcraft II. CIV's been one of my fave series for 13 years or so.

I was going to get that Stardock Age of Magic game thing, but luckily the store clerk told me about all the bugs.