CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

Then it's simpler if I just continue picking on Gerard Butler...

Absolutely. After all, Batman's a Brit (oops, there I go again) and Green Lantern's Canadian (but both actors were excellent picks, I admit).

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ And don't get me started on Gerard Butler's Irish accent ...

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Breaking away from the Scottish/Irish/British discussion

Some additional info on what to expect from Johnston
    - Chuck" co-star Ryan McPartlin confirmed to Moviehole he tested for the film, while a rumor at Big Shiny Robot suggested One Tree Hill star Chad Michael Murray tested for the role.

- Red Skull will serve as the film's villain, a Nazi threat that causes the U.S. to turn Steve Rogers into 'Captain America'

- The WW2 superhero team The Invaders will serve as co-stars, a European team of around six people who will fight alongside the 'Captain'.

This is in addition to the news he'll have Cap/Steve cast in a few weeks. He does say, "The 'Captain' himself will be an unknown and he's currently testing half a dozen guys between 23 and 32 years old." So we can rule out Channing Tatum thank god.

As mentioned up thread the costume steeming out of an USO gig seems correct. However, once we get to present day the costume will alter to be less flashy.
    Can't wait for those first casting announements.
    Seems if Red Skull is going to be the main baddie than 90% of the film will be set WWII as I'd think some origin time is spent on him as well. The closing 10-15min of the film may be the only moments in present day.

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

May need to copy and paste that URL into your browser's address bar and then add an "?" to the end and hit enter in order to get the pic to show up.

That's what I needed to do.

6. Chaos Descending

I appreciate the kind words. To be completely honest I can see how I came across as being a little unreasonable. Please accept my apologies for any lack of civility I may have displayed.

Framed in that context, it's certainly excusable.

No harm, no foul.

Fair points. Two counters: First, as I understand it, no need to register at Wikipedia in order to edit most page. Anonymous edits are possible. Second, studies have shown that Wikipedia is in general at least as accurate as the most widely regarded print encyclopedias, especially in the areas of science, mathematics, and history. I would never recommend to anyone that Wikipedia be taken as gospel truth or as a primary source in any kind of serious research or anything, but as a starting point in a casual discussion/argument, I've found Wikipedia to generally be more than accurate enough to count, especially on the really high quality articles with lots of referenced sources.

I agree with this, and I have all along. My only point is that the rest of the world does not share that opinion. Am I wrong? It's quite possible, but I think I can access enough current (not outdated) subject matter to back my claim. It's not unusual for there to be differences in semantics in different countries, even in academic areas. This is nothing unusual to me. Sorry if I seemed to make such a major case out of it.

Well, sure, you guys are most certainly allowed to decide what you guy want to call yourselves and your island. That doesn't mean that the rest of the world is bound to follow suit. As an example, I believe that a certain South American country does not ever call South America by that name, but by another. I'd heard of this before way back in school but it's been a long time so I'd have to look it up again. However, in the rest of the world, South America is South America.

Agreed. That was uncalled for. My apologies.

At any rate, sorry that this whole thing dragged out so much. I really did just make my initial comment to be cheeky, and not at all to stir up anything. But as I often do, I got carried away with the (very minor) crapstorm that developed.

I'm cool if you're cool.

7. Captaindemotion

^ Cool as ice mate. Let's move on and wait for the inevitable shitstorm when they cast Captain America ... ;)

8. Chaos Descending

Yes, indeed. I bet it'll be Don Cheadle. ;)

9. Captaindemotion

^ And he'll be replaced by Terrance Howard for the sequel.

10. Chaos Descending

Nice twist!

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Awesome.
    Noooooo! :scream:

12. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jeebus Cripes look at what I started! Almost damn near started an international incident. Haha

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

And for no frakkin' reason since apparently it's going to go to an American actor anyway. :p

Which I think is unnecessary - 99% of the audience doesn't know or care where any actor comes from, just get the accent right - and I'm not liking the talk about getting a total unknown because McPartlin is so perfect for the part! :klingon:

14. Bad Bishop

... but desirable. It would be too embarrassing if it got out that a dialect coach was needed for the lead actor.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any actor who wanted to be taken seriously for the role would already have honed his accent to perfection before he showed up for the audition. It's not the producers' job to ensure actors have the qualifications for the job, and they don't have to - there's plenty more actors in the waiting room - an "unknown" had better not show up with any deficiencies in such a competitive field. Karl Urban managed to pull off not just an American accent but a very specific variety of a regional accent - McCoy's mild Georgia lilt. If he couldn't do that, he wouldn't have gotten the job (or I sure hope he wouldn't have).

16. Bad Bishop

We would hope so, but lots of weak American accents continue to get a pass in TV shows and movies.

This article grades a bunch of actors who have attempted to speak "American," with varying degrees of success:

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/2008/11/_television_is.html

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

BY giving Hugh Laurie an A+ they lost me. Though the first comment nails why Laurie is both right and wrong:

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see where having an unknown helps sell the movie as a Captain America movie vs "Tom Cruise" as Captain America or whoever's next big role. Even before Depp was Sparrow and RDJ Iron Man they were niche actors, not marquee in the sense studios wanted them for tentpole projects.

Are there any 'known' actors that might fit a similar bill and be right for Steve/Cap? Last time a relative unknown was cast as a big name superhero it didn't pan out for that Brandon Routh guy.

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

So does a majority belief in something make it true or real?

20. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I myself am hoping for Eddie Izzard.