I Want This as a Star Wars Film Now

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Locutus of Bored, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes: Oh, please. Don't be a martyr. I was speaking in general terms and you know it (I also used the qualifer "many", which doesn't mean "everyone").

While I cannot speak for T'Baio, the points he brought up are completely legitimate. Judging from the general attacks that the PT and "Clone Wars" received by a decent majority of fans on this board (and even touched upon in this thread), if this game was made into a movie based purely on this trailer, it would get ripped into as well.

One of the things I have seen on boards is that the PT was too much like a video game, had little-to-no plot (or had a too complex plot - take your pick :p), and was just mindless action. This trailer shows more of the same.

In short, fandom confuses me at times. I am sure the game will be fun, but, like others, I am still puzzeled at people's reaction that this should have been what the prequels were.

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I have to be honest that I would love to see this as a film instead of a game, but I have to also say that Broccoli is probably right when he says it'd be nitpicked if it were. Truth is beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you can't please everyone so there would be nitpickers.

3. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

No, because Zach Snyder actually directs good movies.

4. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

I can't say I'd like this as a movie. But I would prefer a story based on this time period as a series instead of Clone Wars. My only question is how many times does the Jedi Temple have to be sacked before they learn their lesson?

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the trailer but really, it's total fanwank. But that's absolutely perfect for a game, esp. a SW game. Wish it wasn't a MMO though. :(

Some fun bits in the trailer, esp. the force push of the Jedi while he's dodging in mid-air, and the final lightsaber drop.

6. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't think it was any more or less ridiculous than stunts we see Jedi perform in the prequels.

It was a good trailer, btw. I don't play MMO's, unfortunately.

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Come on. The reason why it's set in the "Old Republic" era is not because it's an opportunity to make things look and feel different, it's because it's an opportunity to make things look and feel exactly the same, but without the heavy continuity baggage.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not so much the stunts (but a few of them too) as everything else there. I don't mind them, they're fun. But they're there. Almost every other moment is seriously OTT:

- hard boiled voice-over
    - hot twilek
    - hot female bounty hunter
    - complete with fett-esque armour
    - ship crashing into the jedi temple
    - zillions of sith red sabers lighting up in the dark
    - speed-ramping during the battle

I could go on, but to re-iterate, I don't actually mind this in a game trailer. It IS fun.

9. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    It was definitely over the top, but I still really liked it.

It really sucks to be a Sith, doesn't it? There must be a clause somewhere that you will either be really ugly, become really ugly, or become horribly mutilated. That Twi'lek's days are numbered.

10. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the overJedification has been poorly executed, pretty much wrecking the badasitude of the Jedi Order. I think Lucas forgot that Jedi were only a third of what made the original trilogy badass, at best. X-Wing pilots are badass. Smugglers are badass. Hell, sleazy administrators and low-life bounty hunters can pull some badassedness out of their asses.

By focusing on the Jedi, and making them fucking boring, the prequels and the EU totally wrecked them.

Let's not make the Jedi fucking boring, Bioware. And not stupid, either. I swear, the PT Jedi were 20 Nerfs short of a herd.

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

That the Jedi were blinded by hubris was a major plot point in the Prequel movies, and I rather liked it. I'm not sure the blandness was completely intentional, though.

12. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know, like I said, it's the worse kind of generic bland action trailer that's been used to promote various things.

Look at the Star Trek trailer - explosions and nekked women. I'm sure the original Clone Wars movie trailer had random shit blowing up and Jedi doing wacky things as well.

My thing isn't with the trailer itself, it's with the reaction it illicits from the fanbase.

13. Supreme Admiral

Supreme Admiral Captain

Saw the trailer earlier. It leaves my jaws dropped on the floor. I liked what I saw. It would be neat if George Lucas allowing this, but as long as he's around, we will receive the same stories of SW all over again. Topic of Star Wars at hand is really, really tiring now. It's time for new SW stories like we just saw the trailer.

14. Broccoli

New Star Wars stories? Like the Jedi getting their ass handed to them again? :p

15. Supreme Admiral

Supreme Admiral Captain

The real question: Do you want old SW stories all over again?? :rolleyes:

16. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lucas, or at least the Lucas "entity" was involved - they were only allowed to show the trailer a certain amount of times on the show floor at E3. It's still being controlled at various corporate levels.

17. Broccoli

I don't understand the condescending eyeroll, but whatever.

You gave the impression from your confusingly worded post that this game is a new type of Star Wars story.

At which point, I jokingly pointed out that the story seems to be the Jedi getting their asses kicked where they will, presumably, need to come back from being down and out to defeat the bad guys.

This has happened numerous times in the Star Wars universe and is hardly original or new.

What would make it original would be how the story is told, themes involved, etc. Personally, I feel the Star Wars universe has given us a multitude of different types of stories ranging from Jedi stuff, to bounty hunter stuff, to rebel stuff, and anything else in between, in addition to character growth (even if they don't fully have the balls to kill off more of the OT characters) and an expanding and continuously changing universe. So, I don't fully understand your stance that the storytelling in Star Wars is giving us the same stories again and again.

18. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. BIOWARE is amazing! I wouldn't trust Lucas to handle it properly though.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't think GL has much of a hand in the video games. Like with the books, he's probably basically given a general plot outline and he can either OK it or veto what he doesn't like.

20. NileQT87

NileQT87 Commander Red Shirt

I'm a big Warsie (more of a Warsie than a Trekkie, in fact--I know, blasphemy here.) and honestly... I don't really care much about the expanded universe or prequels. I still see it as the story of Luke, Han and Leia. They are the human drama core of the franchise.

And seeing a bunch of battling Jedi holds little to no interest for me. I like the idea of them as an almost-dead breed.

The "space opera" trio drama part of the franchise is sorely missing from the expanded universe.

And don't even get me started on the prequels and George Lucas' writing skills. I'm quite glad that he used to have enough humility a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away to allow other writers to write his scripts. His original "Journal of the Whills" ideas for Star Wars are like a bad dream--it needed to be refined by other hands into what it became. It's been the same since American Graffiti. Other writers had to take his idea and turn it into something workable. Lucas, while able to come up with legendary ideas, is inept at dialog and dealing with actors (the actors have said as much).

ESB is the best movie in spite of Lucas and because he had the least to do with it. And he still complains despite the universal acclaim about how it's not his vision! He actually calls it the worst Star Wars film (prequels included). Leigh Brackett, in particular, was responsible for the Han/Leia love story, but her draft of the script was drastically cut down (but not enough for Lucas). Lucas still has problems with the amount of their relationship in the film and a lot of the deleted scenes are theirs.

And Lucas especially lost it when kids came into his life. He started wanting to make films for kids rather than for a wide audience like the first two films. It also didn't help that Carrie was completely stoned and Harrison didn't want to be there (the carbonite scene was because Harrison didn't want to return), on top of the Wookiees being replaced with Ewoks.

The problem with the expanded universe is a lot of it is written from a sci-fi/fanboy perspective that cares more about technology, random Jedi and pilots and cool-looking baddies rather than a mainstream drama surrounding a main group of characters that focuses on their personal conflicts and journeys.