Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ditto for the names of the Seven Dwarves: Grumpy, Doc, Sneezy, etc. Those were invented for the Disney version.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I was referring more to the Grimm-related stories (which included Rumpelstiltskin), Werewolves and Frankenstein.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Werewolves aren't exactly Fairy Tales and neither is Frankenstein. Though I suppose there could be a connection between the wolf character(s) seen in Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs and the Werewolf legend.

Yes, the folk tales, myth and legends are all pretty old. The Grimms' version of the stories only date back to the 1800s and are taken from earlier ones. Even the Grimms edited the stories to make them more child friendly. (Apparently there were complaints about the first edition).

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Something like that would actually be pretty cool.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of annoyed that they've never really addressed the connection between the characters and our centuries old fairy tales. If the characters only came to Storybrooke 28 years ago, does that mean that they were immortal or aged really slowly in the fairy tale world so they could predate our versions of their stories? How did people in our world learn about them in order to tell the stories?

6. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I want to know is this....

How the heck are they going to explain how Storybrooke survives as a thriving town?

-Where does the food come from for Granny's Dinner?
    -Where do the medical Supplies come from for Frankenstein's Hospital?
    -Where does the Gas come from that supplies the Gas Station?
    -If the curse prevented outsiders from entering the town limits for 28 years? how did the town have internet in the very first episode? Who installed it? Where does the town get power?

Were magics in place to provide all these things previously? If so, are they still in play? If not, they've got more to worry about than strangers in town. They're going to run out of modern supplies in no time at all.

Seriously, why has no one addressed this crap in the show?

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never thought about any of that before.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Time probably flows different in the other worlds.

Their connection with us could be many things.

They could be a product of our collective subconscious. Our tellings, believing and retellings of the legends, myths and fables actually brought them into existence. Or perhaps the worlds of fantasy are linked to us via dreams. (an idea actually touched upon in the series) So the fairy tales are our interpretations of these"dreams". Obviously sometimes things get lost in the "translation". ;)

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, those sound like they could be pretty probable. It would just be nice if it was addressed in the show eventually.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

We already know time passes differently. They've been in Storybrooke for 28 years. Yet if that amount of time had passed in fairytale world, Hook should be an old man by now.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A couple months ago I was researching Fairy Tale characters on Wikipedia, and it says that the main character in Sleeping Beauty was also named Aurora in the Tchaikovsky/Vsevolozhsky ballet, which was first performed in 1890.

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Kinda reminds me of Elizabeth Banks.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hope this doesn't mean she's off Longmire.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finally watched the new episode today. I liked it, there were a lot of very interesting developments in this one. I'm very curious to see where things are going now.

16. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Once Upon a Time has returned :)

There was a lot to like about the episode. I enjoyed seeing giants and I hope that Cassidy Freeman returns.

I liked seeing how anxious Rumplestiltskin was without magic.

I thought the conversation about David's name was really funny.

Regina showing up at Snow's house seemed a bit...odd.

Did the flight attendant say they were on an Ajira domestic flight? I was looking/listening for references to Oceanic airways but I didn't spot any.

17. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kept hoping it was Cora impersonating Regina. I know the dialog doesn't support that, but Regina was trying so hard, just to let Cora unravel all her progress. I kinda wanted her to succeed.

18. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Snow's need to make sure Regina knows she has no rights was quite inappropriate immediately after admitting they were wrong about her. Is she trying to drive her crazy mad again?

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

No Oceanic reference but yeah, they were on an Ajira flight.

Other Lost references: An episode of Expose begins during the Ruby/Belle scene. Expose announcer is voiced by Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof, the Jules Verne novel "The Mysterious Island" is an allusion to the Island from Lost.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Especially since Regina is presumably still Henry's legal guardian, unless the Maine family courts automatically reassign custody when the adopted mother is revealed to be an Evil Queen. :)

Meanwhile, did either Belle or Greg Mendel notice the fifty-foot-tall giant stomping through the town?