Was it ever stated officially why Harry was an Ensign for 7 years?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by indolover, Oct 26, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you ever tried to do up buttons all up your back? Velcro would be just as hard, if not harder because you would need it nice and flat, not lumpy where you mistuck it.

Janeway will need assistance into her dress ups.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know (in theory) how male strippers have tear away trousers?

Janeway's invisible seem would be hidden on her frontside of her period costume.

or are to suspect that there is a holochanging room staffed intimately with laddies in waiting and manservants... Vallets? like some antechamber off to the side of the holodeck?

If such a service was useful... most of the crew would have holoemitters in their quarters.

Yet still no bugger invited the doctor over to theirs for dinner.

3. teacake

The pleasure in playing a woman in period costume begins with the underthings.

Velcro has no place in the build up to an authentic historical experience.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well the girl had much more fire and ambition than poor Harry. And Naomi couldn't take over every aspect of the role. Janeway for all her faults doesn't torture children.

5. crazyoboe

crazyoboe Commander Red Shirt

Now that I've served in the military, I have a theory on why Kim was never promoted - he just couldn't pass his twice yearly Physical Training test. He seems like the type who would fail by a sit-up or two. He probably had to do all sorts of extra PT, and would just psych himself out during the tests. I've toyed with the idea of writing a fanfic about it....but I haven't written a fanfic in like...12 years or so.

Oh, and as for Tuvok, remember that he was demoted in the first season, although the scene was cut. When he got promoted, it was only back to his original rank. I don't think anyone got promoted to a rank higher than what they started with...

6. teacake

But what about all the old fat people in the TOS movies, they couldn't do sit ups.

7. Guy Gardener

Ships gravity is .75 G.

Actually, I'd assume that ships gravity was the Captains prerogative rather than uniform fleet wide.

Remind me what happened to Janeway's kids she had with Paris?

Were they abandoned or eaten by fearless leader?

8. teacake

YOU said the Kazon BBQ'd them.

9. Guy Gardener

Noooooooooooooo... No?

I think the Voth would have picked them while they were covering Janeway's footsteps trying to figure out what humans were.

Pets, or labrats?

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They'd all proven themselves by that point, being exempt from future medical check-ups was a reward. :techman:

11. crazyoboe

crazyoboe Commander Red Shirt

Ah, but that's what they have age brackets for. At Kirk's age, he probably had to manage like...ten or so sit-ups to pass. Also, he probably would have had what they call a "profile" in the Army today - he's too old and broke, so the doctor would excuse him from certain events. Like, for instance, in my experience, I have met very few people over the age of 40 or so in the Army that still have to run for their test (they do a 2.5 mile speed walk instead.) This is because all those years of running has pretty much made their knees completely shot. And poor Harry, being a young whippersnapper in his 20s during the show would have been in the most difficult age bracket to pass the test.

12. Guy Gardener

In To Tuvok with love.. I mean Learning Curve... Tuvok was taking the Maquis for laps after turning the gravity up.

13. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    So long as an ensign, maybe he annoyed Janeway?

[​IMG]

14. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Author, Author, Kim's mother asks why he hasn't been promoted, he hastily says there aren't many positions to be promoted to. She then threatens to speak to Janeway. Part of the humor is supposed to be that Mama Kim doesn't understand and the rest is supposed to be that she's going to baby Baby Kim anyhow. I'd say this was an official explanation.

Another way to put it is to say that Tuvok was plainly promoted in order to put him third in line. Paris was not strictly speaking promoted. The only sense in which Kim was passed over is in suggesting he could have been promoted over Paris, after Paris was demoted. But, the Kim character was introduced as a sidekick to Paris, so that wasn't going to happen. Also, speaking as an adult, a Wang promoted over a McNiell?

What I've never quite got from these recurring threads is why anyone actually thinks about Kim's promotions or lack of them? Most people like Paris and dislike Kim, which pretty much explains why the writers didn't care to write much for the character, including character promotion.

How do you know this?

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The post that launched 1000 Slashfics :p

16. GSnail

GSnail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I've never gotten why it keeps coming up either. Even aside from people disliking Kim, there were more ensigns on that ship, and none of them were promoted. It jst makes sense, why would you make everyone a commander, when they're all just going to be floating around in lost.

Maybe its new people finding out about the forever ensign joke and they think it's actually a weird thing?

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The TOS/TNG crews ended up with everyone a commander. I'm glad DS9 and VOY avoided that.

18. teacake

Do you want photos?

Well you can't have them.

19. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^Thank you!!!:techman:

20. Guy Gardener

There's better cosplay to hold out for than the miaadventures from Jane Austin Land.

Give me a broad dressed up as Betty Rubble any day.

Yes, even Rosie O'Donnel.

What a wonderfully barely rectangular woman.