Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 13 2013, 06:19 AM   #31
pepperminty
Cadet

Re: Episode of the Week: Skin of Evil

Jeyl wrote: View Post
And I honestly believe that no one was more disappointed in Tasha Yar's character than Denise herself. Watching Season One on BluRay, it wasn't too hard to see why. Not only was she written as a "shoot first, don't ask questions later" type of person, she never really got to do anything meaningful
Exactly. I recall reading a transcript of an online chat she participated in where she talked about how she didn't like the role (or lack thereof) her character was given--which is certainly understandable. It's no surprise that Crosby wanted to leave when the only character-centric episode she got revolved around Tasha being kidnapped by some alien who was weirdly obsessed with her. What's really disappointing, imo, is how much potential she had; I would have loved to see what was done with her character in later seasons (in a non-Yesterday's Enterprise universe), but I don't exactly blame her for not sticking around to find out.

It would have been nice to have the character go out in a way that didn't involve a "wound" that looked like someone smeared jelly on her face, though.
pepperminty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 06:58 PM   #32
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

It's a shame what happened with the Yar character, leading to her departure, BUT...

Without booting her character, Worf would have never come center-stage. Worf would probably never make DS9 too. We might have never gotten the expanded role of Klingons that we enjoyed in Redemption, DS9, etc. They also would have ditched Troi. They only kept her because 2/3 of the female cast was already gone. Troi wasn't the best character, but if I had to choose between Yar and Troi+Worf, the choice is simple.

Between that silver lining and Yesterday's Enterprise, everything worked out for the best. Crosby left on good terms, so she could come back in YE, as Sela, and in the finale. It's a shame DS9 never got Terry Farrell back. They could have brought her back for the mirror universe episode, at the very least.
jimbotron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 07:32 PM   #33
Jeyl
Commodore

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Without booting her character, Worf would have never come center-stage. Worf would probably never make DS9 too. We might have never gotten the expanded role of Klingons that we enjoyed in Redemption, DS9, etc. They also would have ditched Troi. They only kept her because 2/3 of the female cast was already gone. Troi wasn't the best character, but if I had to choose between Yar and Troi+Worf, the choice is simple.
Here's the thing. TNG's treatment of women was shameful boarding on offensive. Yes, Worf was a great addition and having his role expanded brought a great level of an 'alien' presence to the show. But as a replacement to Yar, it just felt too much like everyone was apologizing for putting a woman in an important position and rectified it by putting the most burly man thing in the whole franchise as her replacement. And when the writers decided to introduce the next season of the show, they had the only main female character raped by a space entity, and have Crusher's replacement be a complete unprofessional bigot. And even though they establish this alien child is exactly like Troi, it's conveniently male.

And as for the portrayal of Klingon culture.... that's a different debate all together. In short, I have a hard time believing a race that's so obsessed with honor, death and glory would be able to build ships that not only rival that of the Federation's (A century old design that's decades old AND DEFECTIVE destroys the Enterprise D), but also have cloaking devices. Because having an honorable battle with a worthy opponent means you should sneak up on him to gain the upper hand.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 07:37 PM   #34
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I have a hard time believing a race that's so obsessed with honor, death and glory would... have cloaking devices. Because having an honorable battle with a worthy opponent means you should sneak up on him to gain the upper hand.
Klingon honor doesn’t eschew sneakiness. There has always been a little ninja in them. “Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man.”
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 11:35 PM   #35
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

...but also have cloaking devices. Because having an honorable battle with a worthy opponent means you should sneak up on him to gain the upper hand.
I brought that up in the "Treaty of Algeron" thread. In ST3, it was going to be a Romulan Bird of Prey, but the villains were changed to Klingons. The BOP remained, complete with cloaking device, and it became canon that Klingons could cloak.

It ends up making no sense. The only reason the Romulans were anything was because they had cloaking technology, and they would rather kill themselves than allow it to fall in enemy hands.

It ends up spoiling who both the Klingons and Romulans are. The "canon" explanation became that the Romulans and Klingons had a short-lived alliance, and shared technology. Psh, as if. And to make it worse, we later see proto-Klingon BOPs in Enterprise. Uh huh...
Old January 15 2013, 12:21 AM   #36
Captrek
Rear Admiral

From Memory Alpha:

According to Ronald D. Moore, strong dissatisfaction among fans and production staff with the manner of Yar's death in ["Skin of Evil"] was one of the main reasons the character was brought back in the alternate timeline of "Yesterday's Enterprise".
The way Yar’s death was handled over the course of the series is really bizarre.
WRITERS: Yar dies like a redshirt.

FANS:

WRITERS: Alt-Yar dies like a hero, saving billions of lives.

FANS:

WRITERS: Alt-Yar didn’t die like a hero as presumed in YE. She died like trailer trash.

FANS:
Old January 15 2013, 01:21 AM   #37
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Technically she died a third time - in All Good Things.
Old January 15 2013, 01:35 AM   #38
Captrek
Rear Admiral

She actually died fewer times than everybody else in the cast because she wasn’t around for Cause and Effect.
Old January 15 2013, 06:01 AM   #39
Lance
Fleet Captain

There's something very wrong with any world where that clip of Riker going "Dayda! Dayda, something's got meeaaaaayyyyeeee!!!!" doesn't become an internet meme. Let's make it happen!

Love this episode, despite it's obvious cheapness. Armus is (conceptually) a strong villain, a being of pure unadulterated evil that even Starfleet's white hats can't reason with. And the death of Tasha Yar has got a genuine poignancy. For once, Roddenberry's instinct that it should be a "senseless death" was IMO dramatically sound, as it properly underlines that, regular character or not, the Enterprise's security force is a dangerous job, and it doesn't matter if you're the Chief or simply a nameless Red Shirt, you've got just as much chance of being swatted down as the next guy. There's a kind of dull surprise to her sudden death which adds an impact that a more theatrical, heroic death never could have done. In fact, would it be heretical of me to suggest that I actually thought the idea of giving her a specifically more herioc departure in "Yesterday's Enterprise" (ultimately nullified by the Sela arc, admittedly) was... less interesting?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 09:10 AM   #40
uberfalcon
Ensign

Lance wrote: View Post
There's something very wrong with any world where that clip of Riker going "Dayda! Dayda, something's got meeaaaaayyyyeeee!!!!" doesn't become an internet meme. Let's make it happen!
I would like to second that opinion--just that shot of Riker clawing into the dirt... unlimited meme potential.
uberfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 03:46 PM   #41
Jeyl
Commodore

I remember watching a video called "Journey's End: Saga of Star Trek The Next Generation" showcasing the end of TNG where Jonathan Frakes talks about Skin of Evil.

Frakes: I'll never forget an episode from the first season, Skin of Evil. Riker was SUCKED into a pit of black slime! So I asked the powers at be "What is this stuff?". They said "Don't worry. It's fine. It's Metamucil and black printer's ink. Naturally, I dove in. In the pit was an elevator which forced me up through the scum and than vomited me onto the beach covered with Metamucil and black printer's ink. When the scene was over, LeVar Burton as Geordi walked over and leaned down, looked at me and said "Frakes, I never would have done that.".
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote