Should Simon Pegg cut off middle finger out of respect for canon?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jayson, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

I like to think of myself as a person with a healthy sense of perspective.

2. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, we're (or at least, I'm) willing to listen as to why it's so twisted or inappropriate, but you haven't given us much to chew on.

3. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Well... What's taking you so long??

4. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

so, will scotty be seen with a cornetto in his right hand whenever he is onscreen?

5. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

No. It's all in jest, not serious. I doubt James Doohan would want everyone to get all uptight over something like this thread.
    Wouldn't really be an appropriate topic for this thread.

If anybody has a problem with the way the forum is being run feel free to start a QSF thread. Be more then happy to entertain any ideas on keeping the forum interesting, without it becoming a spam fest. It's a fine line to walk, since this forum is supposed to be for serious discussion on the movie. Unfortunately, there really isn't any new stuff to talk about right now.

6. Jayson

Jayson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't recall Scotty going down to the Nazi planet in that "TOS" episode. Are you sure your not getting him confused with someone else?

Jason

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ha Ha, another should the replacement emulate a characteristic of the original actor thread, very funny, clever and original; This is going to be a looooong eight months. :brickwall:

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Oh shit, I meant to post that using my EnsignRicky account.

9. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

James Doohan, not Scotty. He fought with the Royal Canadian Artillery during World War 2, and was shot in the hand on D-Day.

[​IMG]

10. Admiral Buzzkill

You know...Doohan doesn't care what's said here. His feelings are not hurt nor his dignity offended.

11. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Whatta you want? Finger foods?

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Argh. Go to your room.

13. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I guess I won't tell you how I lost a finger.
    ;)

14. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Wow, learn something new every day... And now I am somewhat ashamed... For as much as I watch trek, I've never noticed that digital error...

15. IJD GAF

IJD GAF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jayrath is mistaken. This particular trait has been mocked thoroughly on this board.

As I recall, it was in excellent taste, and the poster was made a moderator.

What ever happened to that classy, classy guy?

16. Cranston

Cranston Commander Red Shirt

It never really appeared on-screen -- they were diligent about always keeping his right hand positioned just so that you couldn't tell.

I didn't know about it until I met Doohan at an autograph session in 1987. Actually, I didn't notice even then (starstruck at the time), until my Dad asked me afterward why he was missing a finger. It was clear in a snapshot he took.

17. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else feel this picture weakens his "up yer' shaft" comment in STIII?

18. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Theres two whole new movies in that reply...

Scotty turns round in his chair and asks if Lt Mike Invadedparis if he wants anything from the mess room. Upon coming back, there is a starfleet news report of an infectious desease spread from a crashed transport ship leaking toxic radioactive waste in the sector.

slowly, the crew star taking on zombie characteristics, eating people. The first of the zombies are all, conveniently enough, wearing red.

Scotty and Invadedparis then embark on a shipwide quest to reach The Shuttle Bay (A local bar near the back end of the ship) where they wait out all the zombified people.

Invadedparis accidentally hits the com panel and Kevin Riley singing Kathleen very loudly booms over the shipwide speakers, thus, the zombified crew break down the doors and kill their crew buddies and bite Mike.

Mike becomes infected and Scotty locks him in his office where he has set up the Playstation 400.

*Credits*

The sequel, to be realeased shortly, is a completely different box of frogs altogether.

19. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

The best shot for spotting it is when Scotty walks into the bar on K-7 with an armful of tribbles - he couldn't really hide his right hand in that situation. Unfortunately, my Google-fu was weak the other night - that was actually the picture I was looking for.

:lol: I can feel karma coming to bite me in the ass, but I can't help but laugh.

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Look also when Scotty is in the access crawlway in "That Which Survives" -- the closeup of his hands when he's manipulating the magnetic probe is about as clear as it gets. There's another shot in "Cat's Paw" in which Scotty is holding a phaser on Kirk and Spock where it's fairly easy to make out.