Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Greylock Crescent, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Cosmos - A Space Time Odyssey follows in the footsteps of Carl Sagan's series from more than thirty years ago. The series is produced by Seth McFarlane (yes, that Seth McFarlane) and is hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson. First trailer is here ...

... show will premiere in 2014

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMJxjYRXYkU#at=184[/yt]

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool trailer, great visuals. But, as much as I like Neil deGrasse Tyson, he ain't no Carl Sagan. He's got a big pair of shoes to fill here.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I look forward to seeing this, but I admit I'm a bit wary about it being on FOX and not on PBS or Discovery.

4. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

He talks about that here
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaMaFBcaCA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/yt]

I know I can't wait, and have been looking forward to this show for a few years now.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Fox DOES have other show creators besides Seth McFarlane, right?

6. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Oh i think deGrasse Tyson can fill anyone's shoes. He has that unique talent of presenting hard science facts so everybody can understand them and he does so in a very entertaining way.

He's got a great sense of humor and you can practically feel his love of science and the passion he has.

I'd really like to meet him and talk science.. that would be a day and i'll definitely check out this show.

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they do, but Seth is probably one of the best faces of FOX right now.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I can't wait to watch this.

I really need to rewatch the old Carl Sagan series. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. It's on DVD, right?

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So how does Tyson say "billions and billions"? :D

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, if anybody can followup Carl Sagan, it's Tyson. He's a great choice for this.

My Dad pointed out that he even sounds like Sagan at the start of the trailer.

11. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Yes, and it's still marvellous.

12. Greylock Crescent

Agreed. I still watch the series once a year. Uplifting stuff.

I completely agree about Tyson. If anything, this interview (below) he did with Stephen Colbert convinced me. That, and his StarTalk Radio series.

As for FOX - I have no doubts that Seth McFarlane, along with Tyson and Ann Druyan (who helped write the original Cosmos series) will create a show worthy of Sagan's legacy.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXh9RQCvxmg[/yt]

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Tyson may not be as eloquent or poetic as Sagan, but his passion and enthusiasm for science still make him a very good spokesman, I think.

I just wish he would speak out more on the quacks and pseudoscience out there like Sagan did. He'll make a passing comment now and then, but you sense him always holding back and trying not to offend too many people.

14. Greylock Crescent

Have you seen this video? It's a pretty clear condemnation of turning to religion in the context of science research, discovery and education:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti3mtDC2fQo[/yt]

15. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

That trailer has brought boundless joy to my heart!:eek:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  16. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

By the way the other Executive Producer behind this project is Brannon Braga. I am curious to see how this is going to turn out. The Trailer looks interesting.

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

He's responsible for the episodes on Time Travel.

:p

I think this looks very interesting. My son is 10 years old, he should be at a great place in his life to enjoy this series.

18. Greylock Crescent

My daughter will be 7 next year, a year older than I was when the original aired. For sure I'll be sitting down with her to watch it.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm. I'm afraid I simply don't find Tyson to be an interesting screen presence. I'm sure he's as brilliant and passionate about science as all his hype indicates, but he's so down-to-earth earnest it's kinda painful. The great thing about Sagan was that he was just weird enough that one could half-imagine he was some space lizard in a human suit, trying to nudge us to look at the bigger picture of things before he ate us all, treasuring each single bite.

I know it's unmeritocratic of me to suggest, as he's just an actor and all, and not a legitimate intellectual peer of Sagan as Tyson is, but I'd be much more interested to see Hugo Weaving perform Tyson's script. Or Tim Russ, with or without the Tuvok makeup.

Look at it this way: if Sagan were to host a special on, say, To Kill a Mockingbird, his talking about such a small-scale story would surely feel confoundingly off. If Tyson were to do the same, it wouldn't faze me at all.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I also believe that Braga is directing episode(s) of the new COSMOS.

Yeah, he's controversial figure in Star Trek fandom, but he's also one of Hollywood's most experienced producers of F/X heavy television. For a project like this, he would be near (or at) the top of a very short list of producers who could get this done on time and on budget and with its unique production requirements.