The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchise

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ToddPence, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Is that from the episode when the sexy people were going to kill Wesley, where he was supposed to evaluate a pleasure planet for kids?

2. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Yeah, that line stinks bigtime, it starts okay and then goes way wrong. They really should've found another way to end that line.

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I didn't say I hated it, but the time travel concepts presented in Star Trek until finally TNG's "Time's Arrow" came along are simply illogical, yet presented by television's character most famous for "logic". The irony is somewhat delicious. ;)

The SS people wearing "Kirk's" uniform in "Patterns of Force" were in charge of ensuring that the concentration camp slave laborers were literally and systematically worked to death!

There's nothing remotely humorous to this issue. When asked to remember Holocaust suvivors usually burst out in tears for the atrocities they either witnessed or endured personally.

Had any of the producers participated during WW II in Europe and seen the liberation of a concentration camp, Spock's line in "Patterns of Force" would have been excised in the very first draft of the screenplay for this episode.

Bob

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You'd make a great Aryan, bitch.

Yeah I think that was basically it.

5. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's apparent that not everyone shared this sentiment in the 60s and 70s. While a lot of holocaust survivors do break down and cry and choose not to remember those horrid atrocities, there are some Jewish people that found humor in the situation. Consider this list of stars from the TV comedy Hogan's Heroes, a show that ran from 1965-1971 about Allied POWs in a Nazi prison camp.

]John Banner - Sgt. Shultz (Austrian born, fled Nazi Germany)
    Howard Caine - Major Hochstetter (fought Nazis in the US Navy)
    Leon Askin - General Burkhalter (Austrian born, probably fled Nazi Germany)
    Robert Clary - Corporal LeBeau (was in the Buchenwald concentration camp)
    Werner Klemperer - "Werner Klemperer's story is a bit more complicated. His father was Jewish. His mother---Lutheran. His father converted to Catholicism before the Nazi regime. Not that the Nazis cared. Anyway, Werner was brought up as a Catholic. But his father--the famous conductor--formally returned to Judaism at the age of 88."

Robert Clary is of special note. He was actually interned in a concentration death camp. After Hogan's Heroes ended, Clary spent time touring Canada and speaking at schools about the Holocaust.

Either all of those actors listed above couldn't find work and were "forced" to act on Hogan's Heroes, or they were able to accept such work without thinking it was distasteful.

Despite what we may think of joking about the Holocaust now, it wasn't uncommon to satirize the Nazi state in the late 60s. Granted, the show was about a POW camp and not a concentration camp; regardless, it was mocking an extremely dark moment in the relatively recent past.

Interestingly, Hogan's Heroes was distributed by Paramount in 1965.

6. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^ That single thing turned me off VOY from the get-go.

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Indeed, I find it hard to believe anyone would take that line as anything but a joke -- regardless of whether or not you knew that Nimoy and Shatner are both Jewish.

As for the worst line of dialogue in the entire franchise: Practically any line spoken by Bele and Lokai in "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." About as subtle as an elephant fart.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  8. Cmdr.Druss

Cmdr.Druss Lieutenant Red Shirt

Kirk - "NO MORE BLAH BLAH"

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Any line spoken by Shinzon.

--Sran

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I loved that line. It's absurd.

It was obviously a joke from the delivery and reaction, regardless of the off-camera context. Honestly, I don't think people were as upset about referencing Nazis in those days as they are now. WWII was a recent memory, war movies and TV shows were common...there was even a very popular sitcom on at the time about prisoners in a German POW camp.

Perhaps the part she left out about what she'd done between the reading and the falling asleep....

Somebody else probably knows more about their histories, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the people making the show had fought in the war...Gene Roddenberry did. I'm guessing that you weren't born yet...but you're trying to tell people who were alive during the war--some of whom fought in it--that their attitude about the war isn't appropriate, 50 years after the fact! Maybe you should learn from them, not vice versa.

We'll have to forgive the producers of TOS and other entertainment of the era that they didn't foresee the nerdrage that would ensue generations later....

11. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, yes, but the second time it was said, from Data to Worf, with no break in between, was classic, and Star Trek gold.

12. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just to add a few more details about the Hogan's Heroes cast.

Yes he did (well Austria) but not before being beaten up by the Gestapo and being interned in an allied French internment camp for a time because he was from Nazi Austria (regardless of the fact he was Jewish). His family was also killed in Treblinka.

Was also in a concentration camp for a time before fleeing (he was lucky it was before the Nazi extermination plan started)

Clary was never in the death camps but was in several concentration camps, Buchenwald being the most well known. He survived, a good portion of his family did not.

13. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

Probably not the worse line of dialogue, but one of dumbest sounding.

It's one of the most unintentionally funniest lines ever. :lol:

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jerking off to your grandmother's sex life.. stop it, you're making Beverly interesting for once!

15. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

That's impossible. In any case, the whole thing will turn out to be Wesley's fault.

--Sran

16. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

In "Encounter at Farpoint", Q appears on the bridge in an American military officer's uniform (Army or Marine Corps, I forget which now). Picard snaps at Q about the "costume" he is wearing, which I have always found to be extremely offensive, as if anyone that was serving in a uniformed service prior to the existence of the enlightened ranks of Starfleet is some kind of barbarian or crackpot. Picard never applies this judgement to his own ancestors' military service, however, most notably the Picard that served in the battle of Trafalgar. Hypocrite.

Another really bad line was uttered by (temporarily evil again) Data, proclaiming that the "Sons of Soong" were going to take over the galaxy or some other such nonsense. Ugh.

17. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

You mean "The sons of Soong have joined together. And together we will destroy the Federation!"?

Yep, that´s a good one. Reminds me only very slightly of "Join me and we can rule the galaxy as father and son!" :devil:

18. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Is it possible that the Nazi uniforms and paraphernalia seen in "Patterns" may also have been seen in HH? Something that I have always wondered about, since both productions were under Paramount's wing at the time. Much like the way that Floyd's Barber Shop shows up in "The City on the Edge of Forever"...

19. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

It was a Marine Corps uniform and I remember reading somewhere years ago was that it was a replica of GEN North's uniform from when he was testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings.

But I agree with you as well. I'm in the Army and my uniform is not a costume!

20. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

If anyone is interested to further discuss the "Patterns of Force"/Nazi topic I have started a new thread, so that this thread here can serve the purpose it was originally intended for :)

Mario