Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

Quite nice :P.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess maps are a good idea. But I wish Notch would spend more time adding more features to the elements that are already in the game (more abilities for wolves, cool stuff in the Nether, more uses for dyes, etc) rather than piling on more stuff.

Oh, for any of you guys in Roberts world. I could really use some wool for an upcoming project. So if you happen to have some extra, I could sure use it. (wtf are all the sheep hiding?) I'd be happy to trade cobble, iron, or maybe even a diamond or two for it.

Oh lord, I've done that. Last time I ended up laying down a circle of torches on the ground and using the Cartography program that was mentioned earlier.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

This evening, I was trying to add a "boiler" on the lower deck of my (all wood) ship. I accidentally lit the entire thing on fire. :eek: Luckily, the server had backed up just a few minutes before so nothing was lost, but wow, I was panicking for a minute there. :lol:

It was quite a sight, watching my whole ship go up in flames.

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was playing in Rob's server for the first time and I spent about 15 minutes exploring and punching random sheep when he mentioned a snow biome to the west. Being adventurous, I decided to trek over there, I collected some pumpkins, left a sign eloquently announcing my presence in the area, then started to trek back. Then the server needed to be reset because the ship burnt down, so I came back 15 minutes later and continued walking back to spawn.

It's at that point that something must have gone wrong because a few minutes later I realised I had no idea where I was. I checked the world map, but I couldn't identify my location with it, and the 1-block-tall cactuses suggested to me that I was in newly rendered terrain. I decided not to use the x,y,z coordinates or any of the warps to get back, but to wander around for a bit to find where I was. That didn't work and the sun soon went down, then it started to rain, so I made a little hovel in a rock, with wool as a roof to keep the rain out, and bunkered down for the night.

I decided to make a compass in order to get home, but I didn't have any redstone and decided that I should try to find some in a cave. After a few small caves, I finally found one that branched out all over the place and set out to find a way down to redstone level. Perhaps inevitably, this led to me getting lost in the cave. Finally, I found some redstone, along with a bunch of iron, gold, some diamonds and a dungeon that provided me with some cool things. After a few more minutes, I managed to find my way back to the surface.

So I made a compass, gathered my valuables, left a flashing redstone ring to make the hovel easier to find in future, and set out towards spawn, expecting to be only a minute or two away. I was not. It was another ten minutes before I saw some sign of civilization; a wooden house overlooking an impressive lavafall. I was expecting to approach the spawn from the north or east, but somehow I approached it from the west, which I still don't quite understand. I still can't figure out where I was. It was fun, though, because I've never actually gotten lost like that before.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that I found gunpowder in that dungeon and now I have TNT, so don't piss me off. ;)

5. Robert Maxwell

Wow, that sounds like quite an adventure. :lol: And that's Canadave's house over the lava falls, I believe.

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, been playing on Robert's server lately and this is the progress I've been making:

[​IMG]

I've also got my own personal natural waterfall:

[​IMG]

All I did was add a scenic lookout:

[​IMG]

Did a little research into lightning today, and I'm seriously wondering and considering if I should use Cutter's half block trick, because wood can catch fire and burn due to lightning.

7. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup, that's my place. I actually got lost in a massive cave system myself when I wandered off to the west. Never did get the whole thing explored, so I wonder if it might have been the same one?

8. Cutter John

Looking good Owain!

Ben - If all else fails you could have yelled for help and we could send out a search party. :)

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well it snowed for the first time on my world for the first time and it appears as if Fort Binky is now in a snow biome...mostly. When it happened the first time I was out past the farm enclosure working on the transit station for the great western highway, so when I got back to the keep, I found the snow ended right smack in the middle of the courtyard so only half the area was covered in snow! Luckily when it snowed a second time I was closer and made my way to the front gate and now it's all even. For a minute there I thought it might be stuck looking that stupid! ;)

Oh and it seems the new biome has brought wolf spawning to the keep too as I went outside to find the grass strewn with blocks of wool and turned just in time to see two wolves pounce on a hapless sheep....and land right smack into my spider proof lava wall. Though I managed to save one with a bone I had handy and he now sits in the keep. I only take him out to help me clear out the mobs in the mornings.

I'm actually a bit worried about the lightning since two of my houses are mostly wood and have wooden stairs for a roof so a fire would be devastating. I think the ability to craft a lightning rod would be a great idea and it could even be put so some use...say like (off the top of my head) converting redstone to something new (like the way a furnace works) say...bluestone? Works the same as redstone but can carry a charge over a longer distance?

P.S. Since I only just discovered how to take screenshots, here's some progress on my great western highway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Needless to say I'm starting to run low on iron!

10. Cutter John

Finally got rain in my singleplayer game as well. I was a bit surprised though that the rain didn't turn to snow when I ran over to a nearby snow biome. I guess weather doesn't work like that?

Really impressive bridge there Reverend. I wonder if using the double-half block technique under the roof would keep the fire from spreading downward?

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt it as I was in newly generated land. Actually, now that the map has updated, I have figured out what happened.

[​IMG]

When I logged back in after the server reset, I started walking the wrong way entirely. I had assumed that I was only a few degrees off and that I was somewhere near that yellow circle, I had no idea I had wandered that far off course. :alienblush:

You must be starting to run low on everything! That bridges looks like it just eats up resources. Looks awesome though.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^The lava isn't a problem because I stuck a portal at the Fort Binky terminus, which links to the nether literally right next to a lava lake, so it's just a matter of buckets and walking back and forth. I stripped two whole beaches bare getting all the sand for the glass though, but tunnelling though that mountain provided all the dirt needed to fill it all in again, plus plenty of coal and iron so with the addition of a cobblestone generator, it's more or less paid for itself. If you look at this map (taken earlier than the screen shots as you can see the highway had only just made it out of the mountain at that point) you can see that a large portion of it went underground.

[​IMG]

Wood is the only tricky bit, but luckily my last project was building a 50x50 monster spawner under the ocean to the east (the excavation of which supplied the iron and diamonds to get me started), so I have a plentiful supply of bone meal to get those saplings growing nice and fast. It's just very laborious. I've actually taken to listening to audiobooks while working so I don't go to bed with the sound of placing blocks ringing in my ears.

13. XwarlokX

XwarlokX Lieutenant Red Shirt

Finally got some rain the other night in my SSP game. I also played around a little bit with Eihort, and discovered a massive arch bordering on a snow biome near my spawn point. So I've been working on removing the center of the arch so far and rebuilding it entirely out of glass.

Here's some random pics of my projects. I'm planning on linking all these areas with minecart tracks at some point. I think the most difficult two to link will be the plateau home and the arch.

First up is my plateau home..
    [​IMG]

Secondly is my spawn point
    [​IMG]

A look down from inside my glass arch..
    [​IMG]

An attempted view of the arch from below and to the side..
    [​IMG]

And finally, a view of Fort Midwater which was built around a solitary tree standing out of the water.
    [​IMG]

14. Owain Taggart

So, here's another update. I've finished my first floor of my house and it's coming together really nicely and I feel it's coming together even faster now that I've worked on the basics. Here's how it currently looks. What you see there is the start of the second floor.. The wooden beams seen earlier are actually part of the first floor, but I plan on doing the same for each floor.

[​IMG]

Here's how it looks inside now:

[​IMG]

15. XwarlokX

XwarlokX Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oh wow, that house looks great! How long did it take you to gather up all that wood? Makes me wish I could focus on one project at a time, instead of showing off my half-works!

16. Owain Taggart

Not too long, to be honest. It took a lot less time than I thought it would. It helped that I started on a hill and built the structure around the hill and worked from that and dug my floor, so what I've done is I keep extending the walls. Now that I've got my first floor done, it's a lot easier to just keep extending, and I plan on having 5 or 6 floors to it.

The hill used to have a lot of trees on it, which I had to clear away. If you take a look at the last map that Robert posted a few pages ago, you can get an idea of how it looked back then when I was just starting out.

Compare this:

http://gorzek.com/minecraft/serverworld-detail.png

to this from just a few days ago:

http://gorzek.com/minecraft/serverworld-mcmap.png

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I recommend incorporating skylights and/or an open mezzanine type of arrangement if you're going for multiple floors. Natural daylight can really help the brighten up a house in a way torches or even glowstone can't really manage and exposing multiple floors helps to open the space up a little. Also, I'm not sure how many people have noticed but stairs don't appear to block light, so if you don't want a glass section in the roof, wooden or cobblestone stairs can be used to make a nice authentic looking gable roof.

18. Cutter John

I love what you've done with the different textures Owain. Its really pretty. Now we just need to set you up with a higher rez texturepack. :)

And yeah, I'll second the skylight. They really do brighten up a place.

Wow I'm jealous guys. Ya'll are building entire cities while all I've done is make a bloody tree. (you can just make it out on the map right under spawn.

Oh, I set out a freebie box on the beach by my place and filling it with stuff I don't need (cobble, some redstone, etc) Feel free to help yourself. And if you happen to have any spare wool blocks, please throw a few in.

19. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

so any tips on the safest way to harvest obsideian?, made a little stretch of it then mine a bit a fell in:)

started a new house as i found then lost then found my old one so i gave up and built sanother one until i can figure out where i put it.

20. Robert Maxwell

Safest way to harvest obsidian is to build a trench 1 block deep, fill it with lava (hauled with buckets from a source lava pool), then pour water over it. Harvest obsidian!