nuTrek timeline?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Freman, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Where in relation to the two movies do all the comics and the video game take place? Does Countdown to Darkness take place before or after the video game?

2. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

The quick answer is because the comics and video game aren't canon it doesn't matter. The longer answer is I believe the video game happens before Countdown to Darkness, but I could be wrong.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Other way around. Both the game and Countdown to Darkness lead to the Nibiru mission; however, CtD is presented as a "standard" mission, while the game is kicked off by a distress call (presumably diverting them while on the way to Nibiru from Countdown to Darkness).

4. Scruggernaut

Scruggernaut Ensign Red Shirt

Orci has said that the current comics are canon. Not sure about the video game though.

5. Freman

I'm pretty sure he said the game was also canon. Honestly, I don't really care. To me they are. I just want to know which order they all take place in. :)

6. Ketrick

Okay, I was wrong. Thank you for correcting me.

He has said both the comics and the video game were canon. However, he has taken those statements back since then. As much as I wish the comics were canon, they're unfortunately not. Plus, it would probably take all the members of the Supreme Court and those above them at Paramount to make a change to canon policy not just the word of one or two people involved, even if it is Bob Orci.

7. Freman

Where did he say they weren't? Just curious.

8. Ketrick

He started backtracking in the comment section for the article in which he declared the tie-ins he or and any of the rest of the Supreme Court are involved in canon. It's on trekmovie.com. Check out comment #102 of "Exclusive: Orci Says Star Trek TV Talks Getting Real + Declares Movie Tie-In Comics & Game As Canon".

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Orci's comment about the comics being canon comes from an infamous interview over at Trekmovie where he was essentially manipulated and goaded into calling them canon. He recanted within a day.

10. Ketrick

I would also point out that while there are shout-outs to the comics and video game in Star Trek Into Darkness, there are also things in the comics it contradicts. For instance, Sulu in STID says he had never sat in the captain's chair while in the comics, he had I believe in one of the "Vulcan's Vengeance" comics. I think it was part 2, but I could be wrong.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Also, in the movie Kirk says he hasn't lost a single crewmember since taking command, wheras in the comics and videogame, casualties pile up.

As for their canonicity, I've seen video interviews where the game's makers have said it's canon - but then there's the recent comment by J.J. about how they distanced themselves from the videogame when they realized it was going to be shite. He said the game "emotionally hurt" him.

I think the end of the day, CBS are sticking with "if it's an episode or movie, it's canon"

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I've never read the comics, but doesn't ID contradict the comics when it comes to Kirk losing/never losing members of his crew? Any other contradictions?

13. Ketrick

I'm not certain the film contradicts the comics and video game on that because I took Kirk to be speaking only of the Nibiru mission. I will say, however, that I didn't understand the end of what Kirk said because he and Pike spoke at the same time so my understanding could be wrong.

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

"You know how many crewmembers I've lost since I took the captain's chair? Not one...not one."

15. Ketrick

Well, that explains things somewhat. I only hear and understand: "You know how many crewmembers I've lost since.... Not one...not one." I take it that "...I took the captain's chair?" is the part I heard but couldn't make out. Neither the subtitles or closed captions include the "since I took the captain's chair" part. Question: How were you able to make that out? Also, if most people can't understand it, would that part still be hard canon or would it be more on the level of Jonathan Archer's personal file in "In A Mirror Darkly, Part II"?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  16. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If he opened his mouth and the words came out i'd say it's canon. Though it's all ultimately make believe anyway. :lol:

I don't think the comics really fit into the continuity of these two films for the simple fact that a lot of stuff happened in all of the comics that is basically squished down into a year. A lot of crew also died in various missions. Including Gary Mitchell.

As far as the films are concerned they seem to be fairly isolated into their own continuity.

17. Ketrick

Just to make it clear, I didn't say it wasn't canon. I was just asking if most people couldn't understand it (or for that matter something else said onscreen) would that have made it soft canon.

As far as why you don't think the comics fit into the continuity of the two films, I don't think that much is squished into the time period between the two films. It's not like 50-100 issues worth of events are trying to be forced into the space of less than a year. Plus, a lot of the events in the comics took place over the course of two issues making things even less cramped. Of course, I'm biased and I admit it. You have the right to your opinion. I disagree with it and I'm willing to discuss and debate it if you wish to continue. If not, that's fine. I'm more than willing to agree to disagree.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I just watched Kirk's mouth and focused on his voice to tune out Pike's interruption. I can't promise you it's accurate, but that's my perception of the dialogue.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the more recent and infamous screw-up the comics made was the STID follow-up After Darkness which claims to be a week after STID's main story, even though the final scene of the movie is a year later.

20. Ketrick

Well, you're not the only one who I've read on this forum say they heard that so if what you heard isn't accurate, you're at least not alone.