Is Rihanna retarded?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lookingglassman, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

The rumor according to People Magazine is Rihanna has gotten back together with Chris Brown, the moron who beat her up. If true, has she lost her mind?

2. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Lost her mind, in love.

Potato, potahto.

3. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

She is stupid. This chick is talented, beautiful and young there are tons of guys out there who woudl treat her better than this fool did. Chris Brown is a total loser and what is going to stop him from beating her again? SHe is a fool if she stays with him.

Heck, he probably only is being nice to her so she wont testify against him. Once the charges are dropped or he gets off with a slap on the wrist he will go back to beating her.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah. It's hard to deal with/speak against on abuse victims, the psychology of it is just complex.

But, I dunno. I feel sorry for her she thinks she has to be with him for love.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Statistics show that it can take as many as seven (yes I said 7) attacks before an abused person will truthfully believe that the person is a risk to their safety. That isn't a made up number, a friend of mine last year was being abused by her boyfriend and that was the statistic told to me by the counselor that I spoke to about it when we were trying to get her help.

6. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Not to defend abusers, but there are sometimes certain circumstances where an individual might be entitled to some leniency. We don't know the whole story.

Maybe this Brown guy has been the victim of abuse himself and is completing the psychological circle of it all. Perhaps he truly regrets what he's done, the two truly love each other, and he has begged Rihanna not only for forgiveness, but her help in healing his psychological wounds and her help in defeating his demons. Maybe she's a good enough person with a ton of compassion and empathy and that she can see through her own hurt and see a man who needs help, and she's willing to forgive him and to see him through therapy?

If that's the case, I'd hardly call her a loser. I'd call her better than most of us.

7. Trekker4747

Good point.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Good point, but also rarely true (them getting therapy).

Edit to add: I'm not saying that it doesn't happen and they don't get therapy - sometimes it does - but not very often.

9. Trekker4747

She ought to just to herself a favor and hook up with me.

:)

10. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She is hot, but I can't say she's smart for wanting to stay with this looser, I mean come on him pulling the "I'm sorry" bullshit , he will beat her again.

11. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

She's a celebrity. All celebrities are mentally retarded in some fashion.

12. Trekker4747

Just as long as she doesn't go full retard.

13. Thrall

I think in this case she did.

14. Trekker4747

Well, as T'Baio pointed out we don't have all the information or know the motives of those involved.

Given stereotypes and the "way the world works" it's most likely that Rihanna is a "battered" woman going back into an abusive relationship out of some desperate need for an ounce or two of love or need for attention. The psychology of abuse "victims" is complex and -as I said in BDF's thread- not as simple as someone just walking away from an abuser. It's often a breakdown of will and strength on many levels with an ounce or two of a certain "need" for attention -of any kind.

IMHO it's never as simple as person "being stupid." It's a person in need of help on many psychological levels.

And, as T'Baio pointed out, it's entirely possible that Brown is a victim himself of abuse -the result of being a victim himself programing him into only knowing one way to act out. Someone else with much psychological need for help. The two may really have a love that we cannot understand and really want to try and work through it and come out of it a better, stronger couple.

It's easy to make judgement but we've not all the information on their lives as a couple, their lives as people, or their mental state as a result of decades of programing through experience and psychology.

I agree that it is likely she's going back into an abusive relationship but I don't think doing so makes her "retarded" it makes her... sick and in need of attention from professionals.

15. Thrall

Those pics of her were all I need. He wasn't defending himself. He was being a typical fucking rapper/banger. He just forgot that The Ghetto Pass ends at The Ghetto. Because that shit don't sell in Middle Class America, white or black. Yeah, she was probably being a bitch. But she's a famous singer. She's expected to be a bitch. Unless it's in self-defense, you don't hit women. Period. End of story. You espeically don't beat them within an inch of thier lives and naw at their arms like some rabid animal because your gal is having a hissy fit. What you do is say "Yes, dear. You are absolutley right dear" like every single man in America does, and get the fuck over it.

And you know what my favorite part of this was? His public appology. Which wasn't really an appology at all but rather a bizarre bitchfest about how he can't use his facebook account anymore. And fuck that useless peice of shit Kanye West for trying to defend him. If Kanye West could get any more dumb and delusional he'd be George Bush.

Hey, Guy Ritche had to put up with way worse when he was with Madonna. You didn't see him beat the living shit out of his chick, even though she probably deserved it way more then Rihanna did. Infact, I think people should be applauding Guy Ritchie for having that much self-control. The guy must be a saint or Jesus or A Vulcan or something. I mean, only Madonna could turn Spicolli into a bitter, humorless prick.

But I have no doubt in The American Justice System. Meaning, this won't go to trial because he's a celebrity and, as such, do anything he wants.

16. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

So, like...you have Guy Ritchie's personal diary? Or security cam footage? How do you know so much about these people's lives?

Edit to add: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Brown_(entertainer)

A quick Wiki search says in his biography that he was a victim of domestic violence as a youth. Interesting how quick we are to judge. I'm not saying the guy should get off or we should all feel bad for poor Chris Brown or anything, but things aren't so black and white in this world, and we shouldn't judge someone when we don't know their situations.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  17. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, then she'll never win the Oscar. ;)

As for the subject at hand... Well, I don't know the full story, but from what I can tell, I think Rihanna is making a mistake. Those post-attack pictures of her that were leaked were nothing to sneeze at: it really looked like she had been beaten somewhat severely. And Brown, IMO, hasn't really shown any remorse for what has happened. Unless he gets help (and maybe he is getting help, I don't know), he will probably do it again -- I just hope that either he deals with his anger issues or she wises up and dumps him before that happens.

Personally, I'd rather see him go to jail, but I'd be extremely surprised if that actually happened.

18. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Lucky for her she has the benefit of being a celebrity. The paparazzi and public will be watching their relationship intently. If anything does happen I'm sure TMZ will have it posted on their website within 2 minutes.

Apparently Chris Brown is going to some anger counseling, but a guy on the radio put it in a way that I think explains it well - either you think that violence against women (and others you love) is curable, or you don't. The guy on the radio did not think it was something that could ever be fixed, if you beat your woman you will just do it again if given the chance and no counseling will change that. Personally I'm not sure what I believe.

19. Thrall

Madonna's rabid, unbearable c**tishness had been on display for years. Especially in regards to her marriage. She also put a taint on Richie's otherwise outstanding track record of films. Had she not been in that movie, I have no doubt it might have been good. Everything she touches gets corrupted beyond repair. Sean Penn. Every movie she's ever been in. My ears. Richie personally was only immune to her foul taint because he's that full of win.

I really don't care honestly, but I do visit http://www.wwtdd.com/, the pinnacle of anti-celebrity reporting on the globe. Mostly because he's fucking hilarious. This guy makes Trey Parker look like Mary Hart.

Fuck moral relativism. I can judge a woman-beater any way I want. Mostly because I don't beat women.(I make passionate love to them. Ladies.:devil:) Where I come from if you beat a woman, you're less then a man. That's like saying we shouldn't judge Micheal Jackson because he had an abusive childhood as well. The guy mutilated his girlfriend for no reason at all. If he was genuinely sorry, I might care. But he's a rapper and a celebrity so of course he's only sorry because he got caught. He's a complete moron, but even he understands how this country works. If you are a major celebrity you can do whatever the Hell you want without any consequences legal or otherwise. Brad Pitt could use little old grannies as his personal toilet. Angelina Jolie could turn all of her kids into a giant sweatshop. Tom Hanks could do coke off the ass of a kidnapped blind kid. As long as they give a half-hearted "Sorry ya'll. My bad" they are immune to punishment of any kind.

He doesn't need a hug. He needs an asskicking. I mean both of their music is awful but at least she was some what decent to look at. Now, thanks to him, we don't even have that.

20. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe, in this case, the correct phrase is 'celebutard"