Is there any Sci-Fi in Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ZapBrannigan, Feb 27, 2013.

1. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I just watched "The Wire" and at the end, Garak lends Bashir a Cardassian novel set in the future, depicting a war between the Cardassians and the Klingons. So I guess at least the Cardassians have some form of SF. Seems reasonable to suppose other groups would, too.

I imagine the Federation take on SF would be the more rarified thought-experiment variety. Not necessarily anything to do with advances in technology but more the ideas underlying them.

2. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes...
    We do not have replicators, transporters and warp drive....yet.
    We have something similar to a phaser by way of laser light. All in all Trek is still Sci-Fi I would say. All good fun too.

3. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

By this analogy, a slingshot is just like a firearm because both launch a projectile. One uses a leather strap; the other a chemical explosive. "Similar."

The only phaser-like function we've seen from lasers is burning/cutting. Lasers do not stun or "disintegrate" (whatever that function really is). If Active Denial could be miniaturized, that might serve as a wireless stun gun.

4. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

5. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could see there being a PSA/Biopic recreating Pike's visit to Talos IV, but most of the happenings would be over dramatized and made gritty looking to give space travelers a real reason to stay away.

6. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

The death penalty's not enough? :D

7. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Making something scarier than it actually was WITH confirmation of the death penalty will keep hands off the stove for sure. :lol: