Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Civ001, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Conditionally Assimilated.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Key word, addict. You just HAVE TO KNOW what it will be like and in the end you have no conditions left.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Just have the 8472 kill all of them, while the Borg kill nearly all the 8472 at the same time, reducing both to minor forces that are little threat to anyone. Then focus on how the destruction of the Collective and spread of the 8472's tech affects the DQ's balance of power.

4. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

An amazing array of viewpoints my friends. Thanks for answering.

5. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    XD the people who hated the show wanted the tough Intrepid class to be assimilated or Destroyed or even the Borg Queen slapping Janeway in Dark Frontier/Unimatrix 0.

6. teacake

I wouldn't have minded a bit of slapping.

7. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

haha that would have been hilarious and i wouldn't have minded seven beating the hell out of the queen in Dark frontier LOL

8. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ooooh that would have been quite a scene..... I always hated how the Queen tempted 7 maybe 7 could kick her where it counts eh?

9. teacake

The Queen is a good character in that she inspires a lot of hatred on the part of those who come face to face with her. It's a personal hatred that differs from the fear and revulsion and pity the Borg evoke because she is at last an individual that can be related to.

10. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

indeed and plus Susanna Thompson did a really good job,i think her acting was 10/10.

11. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the concept of the queen was completely unnecessary.
    I preferred the original Borg where there was no leader of any kind (nothing but a Collective).
    Choosing a representative in BoBW was a special circumstance in preparation for mass assimilation, nothing more.

Voyager did good with the Borg in 'Scorpion'.
    Enterprise as well in 'Regeneration' - hence why all 3 episodes were great.

Mind you, I enjoyed the episodes with the Queen, but I did feel she weakened the Borg.
    It introduced a flaw.
    Furthermore, the range of emotions she portrayed was 'too Human' if you ask me.

Though this is hardly Voyager's fault.
    It only went along with what TNG did.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

All the TNG Borg stories had "representatives" though, people to "speak" for the Borg one way or another.

Q Who? had Q and Guinan as the ones to explain the Borg and "speak" for them.

BOBW had Locutus.

I, Borg and Descent had Hugh and Lore.

13. Guy Gardener

You forgot The Neutral Zone.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

We don't see them, so no need to represent.

Heck, you'd be surprised how many folks actually never picked up on the Neutral Zone connection even when Q Who? explicitly says so.

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Play up the "Borg as slaves" aspect. Show them as being alive under the programming and control. Fully aware of the horror that they're being force to commit upon others. Not all of them would have this Stockholm syndrome thing, that Seven had going on.

In one episode, have Janeway be face to face with a blank faced drone, and for a moment his face becomes animated and he says "Help me!"

:borg:

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't understand why fans think just because you post your opinions on Youtube, you suddenly become a credible and quotable source. sFdebris' opinions are no more credible than Snooki from Jersey Shore giving a review of Star Trek.

17. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't understand why you think you can quantify quotability. If someone says something you like or agree with, and the quote is relevant to the present, then that person is quotable. Publishing your thoughts publicly, such as on Youtube, absolutely does make you quotable.

As for credibility, you were doing good until you mentioned Snooki. As I'm reasonably sure that sfdebris is more familiar with the material than her, it's definitely false that her opinions would be as credible.

18. Guy Gardener

There was this awful English comedy called "Pulling" which did have one awesome line in the pilot "Um, excuse me? Did you just quote Adolf Hitler?

19. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

so I guess Roger Ebert's movie reviews are no more credible than Janet Smith's from Boise, Idaho, either.

Fair or not, fame as a respected reviewer translates to credibility. Chuck is a smart, funny, and capable reviewer. A lot of folks probably think they could do what he does but can't.

20. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I certainly couldn't do reviews with the credibility of Chuck. When it comes down to it, I know less about sci-fi, fiction, trek and am less articulate.