WTH is the NCC1701-D "the Flagship"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by xvicente, Apr 1, 2014.

1. poloronbeam

poloronbeam Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hmmm. I was going by the fact that they seamed EXTREMELY sturdy when the mutated Worf was trying to get through them in "Genesis" to retrieve Troi. Even the crew cabin sized Holodeck doors in "First Contact" had to be pried open by the Borg in as opposed to being easily knocked down by them. Maybe the sickbay and Holodeck doors are sturdier than the ones in the rest of the ship, although, I would find it hard to believe that Flag Officers would be housed in quarters with "flimsy doors", but who knows? Stranger things than that have happened in Star Trek before (including the aforementioned "Genesis" episode). :cool:

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good examples! But I'd argue that there should be a difference between the doors that feature those massive latch things (holodeck, cargo hold, shuttlebay) and the ordinary pocket doors.

The pocket doors are really just privacy curtains; Khan was able to force those open with his bare hands in "Space Seed"... The Worf-beast banging and clawing its way through the doors would be more a sign of it being unable to figure out the correct motions to force the doors open - plus a testament to the fundamental weakness of the material, if mere muscles can bend it that way!

Timo saloniemi

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I always interpreted the term flagship as the ship that carried the flag. You know, the Enterprise-D was supposed to be out there at the borders of known space. Like Apollo put the USA flag on the moon, the Enterprise-D was supposed to put (metaphorical) UFP flags on new worlds.

4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regular pocket doors (admittedly two sets) were used on the TOS-E shuttlebay corridor access doors. Maybe there were extra latches on the side we didn't see?

5. Timo

The entry foyer always also featured that fancy A-frame, though - quite possibly representing swing-down "scissors" pressure doors. While those might be for emergency use elsewhere on the ship, perhaps they were closed whenever the shuttlebay was depressurized? Our heroes didn't actually appear next to the pocket doors with the pressure gauge indicating "vacuum", now did they?

Why have additional flimsy pocket doors on the vacuum side of the pressure doors? Well, "Journey to Babel" might be explanation enough: cosmetics and vanity covers help create at least some decor for the stately arrivals of dignitaries, hiding the worst of the heavy duty gear associated with the bay. :devil:

I wonder whether the E-D had a classier shuttlebay or corner thereof dedicated for such arrivals? In TNG, such people arrived by transporter - and admittedly, the transporter room wasn't made any less utilitarian for such occasions.

Timo Saloniemi

6. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk and the welcome party stood inside the open "scissor doors" while Sarek's shuttle flew and and landed in Journey to Babel.

Also, McCoy and Spock stood right outside the doors in Immunity Syndrome and bickered while McCoy restored pressure to the shuttlebay using the controls there.

In both cases, the pocket doors seemed sufficient to keep the atmosphere contained.

7. Timo

Right.

I guess the one remaining cop-out would be to consider the fact that we never saw those doors from the other side. Instead of just extra latches and seals, we might have had a whole further A-frame beyond them! ;)

(Mind you, we don't really know where that door leads to, on the landing deck or hangar deck. Or where those doors lead, if we consider the variations in the set. But the impression is that they are at the invisible forward end of the landing area and possibly the corresponding underfloor hangar, respectively, leaving room for A-frames and whatnot.)

Timo Saloniemi

8. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The word flagship is used 19 times in TNG.

http://scriptsearch.dxdy.name/?page=results&query=({series|tng,}) and ({line|flagship,})

Six times it is used to mean a proper naval flagship of a fleet or squadron. The other 13 times the Enterprise is called the flagship or the Federation or Starfleet flagship - 7 times by members of Starfleet.

I find it highly irritating that the naval term flagship is used in a non naval and unspecified future sense so often in TNG.

9. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Why are you responding to treads that are dead for almost 3 years?

10. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

MAGolding introduced an interesting fact to an existing thread that probably didn't merit a new thread of its own.

Why do you feel the need to criticize? There has to be some rational flexibility on resurrecting old threads. I feel this one passes that test.

11. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

My apologies, I didn't mean to upset you