References to other Trek MASSIVE SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by USS KG5, May 10, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure Carol says something about a new kind of warp drive, just before the scene from the poster.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yes but she never names it or explains it.

3. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure she said "transwarp."

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Guess I will have to go see it a second or third time. Well I was going to anyway but still...

5. Stag

Stag Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw the movie for the 2nd time last night - Carol Marcus definitely says "He's developed some sort of transwarp drive".

Also, the lock Kirk uses to open the door to the warp core reminded me a lot of the maglock used by Picard to release the deflector dish in First Contact.

Regarding the USS Vengeance model...I pick up on this last night...when Kirk asks Khan "Tell me everything you know about that ship" Khan responds "Dreadnaught class ...Twice the size three times the speed" I took that to mean initially that he was comparing it to the Enterprise..However, I think he was saying Dreadnaught class but twice the size, three times the speed of a regular Dreadnaught class ship. If this was so, it wouldn't be odd to have a model of a regular Dreadnaught class on his desk.

Just my thought.

My first time back here since September 2010...missed you all!!

EDIT: Not that it has much bearing on the screen version, but in the novelization, they reference Praxis. Therefore, I'm guessing the destroyed moon around Kronos, is supposed to be the Praxis of Undiscovered Country fame.

6. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The same way that in the first movie Delta-Vega moved from the edge of the Galaxy to within viewing distance with the naked eye of Vulcan.

7. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Section 31 [tries to] recruit genetically engineered agent.
    Khan or Bashir.

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Meh. I just assumed - as somebody else here speculated - that Nero's devastating exchange with Klingon forces, the destruction of Vulcan and the attack on Earth instilled a lot of fear and paranoia in the High Council and forced the Empire to strip mine Praxis a whole lot faster than they did in the Prime timeline, leading to the moon's shattering over 30 years earlier than in the original history.

9. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Can others confirm that "Dr. Boyce" is on the biobed monitor when Kirk wakes up after the Kahn-blood-serum regeneration?
    I totally forgot to look for when I saw it on Friday. I'll probably go again next weekend, but I'm interested to see if others caught it.

10. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I don.t get the Dr. Boyce reference, but I do remember seeing it.

I Believe it was Scotty who said Starfleet confiscated his Transwarp Equation (and Khan possibly stole and used the technology to transport himself to Qonos).

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Dr. Boyce

12. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Here is your answer.

13. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

TY Sector 7

14. anothertrekfan

anothertrekfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I must have missed that one. What was said?

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not what was said - models of the Phoenix (Star Trek: First Contact), the NX-Alpha (ENT: "First Flight") and Enterprise NX-01 on a desk in Admiral Marcus' office.
    Along with the Ringship Enterprise, USS Kelvin and the Vengeance.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And the early 22nd century Ring Ship, too. That ties this film to both ST:TMP as well as the episode "First Flight(ENT)," further reinforcing the canonical status of the Earth-built ring ships even if we've never seen one in flight or action in any film or episode.

17. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the Vengeance was some super secret, off the books, unmarked ship... why the heck would its model be on display at Starfleet HQ?

That makes no sense to me.

Images and info on all the ships seen: http://www.qmxonline.com/news/stid-history-of-starflight-models/

I wonder if Mudd's ship in the movie matched Mudd's ship as shown in the TOS remastered episode? Probably not, doesn't matter, just a thought. ;)

18. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ah I see... Thanks for that link! So Quantum Mechanix was behind the models.. No wonder their name was on the credits! Cool! But why isn't the photo of the USS Vengeance model on that link??? Would love to see it! Here's hoping they mass release those models and sell them to collectors at an affordable price of course ;-)

Update! Found a photo of the Vengeance model >>> http://www.treknews.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/qmx-stid-vengeance.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  19. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

This has a pretty good summary of how basically every scene had previously happened, somewhere on Trek. I have to say, the scene where they all gathered together for some ship to shoot them through the window, drive-by-style, did have me thinking of the same scene in Voyager:

http://youtu.be/HeyLm-pLVm4

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Well, it is a real place.