IDW to publish post-Nemesis TNG Borg story, possibly Destiny

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by cdgodin, Jun 8, 2012.

1. cdgodin

cdgodin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

http://8of5.blogspot.com/2012/06/idws-own-destiny.html

So, for those of you too lazy to click the link, an artist named Joe Corroney had an interview published where he talked about an upcoming TNG comics he's working on. In the interview, he states that is a post-Nemesis TNG story, almost a sequel to Nemesis, almost a series finale, featuring the return of the Borg. The news website I picked this up on (8of5's Guide to the Trek Collective, a good Trek news website) speculated that this could be an IDW adaptation of Destiny, or maybe a completely different version of events. What do you guys think about this?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think it sounds very much like Destiny. "Return of the Borg" hardly narrows it down. The mention of it being "a few years down the road" and being a "finale" for TNG make it sound like something set significantly later than Destiny. And I don't see any way in which Destiny would really constitute "sort of a sequel to Nemesis." Also Corroney does call it "new," which isn't necessarily a word you'd use for an adaptation of a work published nearly four years before.

My speculation would be that maybe it's a setup for the status quo seen in IDW's Countdown. A story involving Data's resurrection could count as a NEM sequel of sorts, and if it involves the rest of the crew leaving the Enterprise and moving on to the new roles we saw in Countdown, that could constitute a TNG "finale."

Or it could be something entirely different, since IDW doesn't have an overall continuity connecting its various miniseries.

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man a Destiny adaptation would have been amazing, but I'm betting on Christopher's theory to the be way it turns out. In that case I'll be passing, as I'm not a fan of STO, Countdown, or the idea of Data returning from the dead.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

5. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I can assure you it is definitely NOT an adaptation of the Destiny trilogy. And I can all but guarantee it will not mesh with the continuity of post-Nemesis 24th-century TrekLit.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

From reading the actual quote it sounds like it is a story that has it's own continuity which takes place after "Star Trek: Nemesis". I kind of like Christopher's suggestion that it could be a set up for the events we saw in "Countdown".

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

an adaptation of Destiny would always suck, because it could never match the brilliance of what my mind conjured from Mack's writings.

8. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As David said above, it's not going to be an adaptation of Destiny, and I'm quite happy with that.

Sounds exciting - can't wait to hear some more details; I'm not a fan of the post-Nemesis direction Pocket Books took so am hopeful this is more to my liking. I need me some new TNG.

Disappointed it's the Borg though...one of the reasons the post-Nemesis novels turn me off is a complete over-use of Borg to the point of almost spoofing itself...

9. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's my alternate speculation too. While it's been a long time coming, there was some suggestion back when Countdown came out that they were planning a series doing exactly that.

There's been a bit of twitter back and forth between Joe Corroney and Sean Tourangeau that seems to suggest the USS Titan might be in this, whatever it is.

Thanks!

10. adamisme

adamisme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sounds interesting, can't wait to check it out

11. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I hate that the comics and the books don't line up. I really didn't love the Countdown comics, David Mack's Destiny was so much better. Oh well, I am glad to have the Lit still!

12. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

A Data revival story would be fantastic if it wasn't for the terrible way countdown explained his revival.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But "Countdown" didn't explain it, beyond him "returning". It was the STO novel "The Needs of the Many" that did. And I thought Mike Martin did a really good job.

14. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I was sure data said something to spock about b4 & memory engrams after spock makes his resurrection comment. But maybe I'm mistaken?

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I've always been for the comics and the novels to do their separate things, so I'm excited for this. It's almost coming off like TNG being allowed to do another movie.

16. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I'm cool with two (three?) alternate takes on post-Nemesis continuity. If anything, hopefully this will lessen the chances of the novels tying in to Countdown. (I don't mind Countdown, but I'd much rather see Picard stay a captain than become an ambassador.)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And the fate of the B-4 is seemingly further clarified in this "Star Trek Online" short story in the recent issue of the "ST Magazine":
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=176575

From Memory Beta's description of issue #2: "Data asks to see Spock. Spock notes that he and Data have not seen each other since before Data's 'resurrection'; Data, however, believes 'return' to be a more apt description since it denotes the fact that his neural nets were successfully imprinted onto the existing programming of B-4. Spock notes that he and Data share a unique experience..."

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a little disappointed that both of IDW's TNG 25th-anniversary projects (TNG/Who and now this) are Borg-centric. I recognize the value in using the Borg in a TNG project from a marketing standpoint. I'd have liked to have seen something else, though. Maybe a new threat, even. *shrug*

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have liked to have seen something done with Q...but I guess he was already used for Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There's still seven issues of Assimilation to go. If Q doesn't show up, I'd be surprised. :) (If Q does appear, I wonder if they might suggest that Q and the Celestial Toymaker are one in the same. They are very similar, when you come right down to it...)