DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

The Lantern comics don't seem too popular in this thread, but I did want to mention something that's been bothering me for a long time. I really don't know how much longer I can continue to read stories where the Guardians continue to commit one heinous act after another, and yet still get away with it. Their lobotomizing of Ganthet is just the latest (and one of the most horrendous) in a long line of terrible acts. A reckoning needs to come for them soon, or the stories will lose credibility. I'm hoping that Kyle's actions at in the last issue of New Guardians may be the start of that.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

For me Geoff Johns term on Green Lantern is getting old. I have credited him in the past for getting me interested in Hal Jordan (I was a Kyle Rayner and John Stewart fan) and the richness of the Green Lantern mythology as well as understanding it's place in the greater DCU but I dunno it feels stagnated to me now. I started losing interest during Blackest Night which I was incredibly disappointed by despite the potential and hype. I'm just not really feeling GL now.

3. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I probably own more Green Lantern merchandise than anything else, but I'm just not feeling the need to get the GL titles. They seem written for the trade more than other titles, and the lobotomizing of Ganthet seems less like "another horrible Guardian act" than another "Geoff Johns sez the Silver Age was Uber Cool so Let's Reverse Everything" moment.

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I definitely agree that Green Lantern needs some new blood. While yes, Johns reinvigorated it, Hal has just become an obnoxious character under his watch. Green Lantern Corps has long been the stronger book, and I'm really glad to see Tomasi back on it. Nobody writes Guy Gardner better than him. Though I do have the issue that Guy and John don't have anywhere near the chemistry that Guy and Kyle did. The Guardian thing has been across all of the Lantern books though, not just the flagship. Granted, that could be editorial mandate, too. I dunno, it just bothers me that character like Guy and Kyle and John would continue to stand by and take this crap from them over and over and over. Or that we're somehow supposed to believe that the Guardians are still the good guys.

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I was curious about that Guardian thing. I was thinking it would've been resolved by now. I was expecting their to be some enemy that was controlling the Guardians, but I guess their new attitude continues.

I've liked the Green Lantern books thus far and think the Corps books aren't bad. One thing that's bothered me about the Corps books is the vengefulness of the Lanterns. It wasn't too long that the Lanterns were granted the right to use lethal force and now they seem all too eager to use it, not to mention, torturing people for information. It just doesn't seem heroic to me.

6. DarKush

I'm a big fan of Daniel's artwork but Dollmaker doesn't seem that fresh to me. He looked like Secret Six's Ragdoll. And I don't think anyone does creepy villains as well as Morrison.

I also thought the end with all of the Jokers was a bit too much. Let Dollmaker stand on his own. I felt that throwing the Jokers in there, and then so many, it just felt like overkill and it undercut the threat of Dollmaker.

Right now, the artwork is the best thing Detective has going for it.

7. DarKush

I highly recommend checking out Batwing. I suggest starting with issue one if you can find it. At the third issue it hasn't gotten so deep into the story that you can't pick up the third book and not get it, but it's just the first issue really left me jazzed for more.

As for Flash, I picked up the second issue, it wasn't for me. I'm not a Barry Allen fan. I liked Wally.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Batwing is one book where the violence actually works in its favor.

Johns should have left have after BN. None of the writers on the lantern books right now are any good. It's too bad though. The books definitely all definitely have potential.

9. DarKush

Geez,

I'm reading four of the bottom 10: Voodoo, Static Shock, Mr. Terrific, and I, Vampire.

I think I, Vampire's biggest issue (creatively anyway) is that it's tied to the rest of the DC universe. I think they should've made it a Vertigo title. And with the direction of Voodoo (surprised Grifter isn't also in the bottom 10), I think they need to bring back the Wildstorm brand. She doesn't fit well in the DC universe, at least this take on her. I don't see how far you can take her story in the DCU as currently written. Same with Grifter.

To some extent, I also think the need to resurrect the Milestone/Dakota universe for Static, but I don't think that's the chief problem with Static. He needs a new look, new supporting cast, and updated and new villains.I don't think they have got a good take on the character, or what makes him appealing. I think Mr. Terrific has a stronger foundation than Static Shock, though he also needed a better villain to start his book off against. Brainstorm comes across as a warmed over Brainiac.

Perhaps if they made several separate universes, the DC books might work better. Of course I don't think that would save every book, but maybe some.

10. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the fact that an age of superheroes was motivating the "villains" in I, Vampire ... but more practically, with American Vampire being several shades of awesome at Vertigo, I just don't see room for another vampire title there.

11. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

the Bottom Feeders,
    After issue 1 I could tell that Voodoo was a non starter but you do have to throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks.
    Captain Atom is just a mess with no direction.
    The art in Hawk & Dove well thats already been discussed although the story is not to bad.
    I like Blackhawks because it adds depth to the DC universe but the story is really slow.
    Omac I belive suffers from an art problem as well, but as an old school guy I really like the Kirby crazyness it evokes.
    Men of War is a tough sell on any level. Regular joes in a super world has limited appeal. Perhaps the call of duty crowd?
    I really think Mr. terrific would have been a better fit for Justice League than Cyborg and then maybe spun off into his own title but as it stands now just push the cancel button.
    Static Shock is another slow starter and really Blue Beetle is much better.
    Resurrection Man has another slow story and will soon be buried again. Unless of course he ends up in Justice League Dark.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

With regards to Johns and Green Lantern...I agree with House of UIster that he should have seriously consider leaving the book after Blackest Night. Geoff intended BN to be the conclusion of his War of Light trilogy that he started with Rebirth. I know he has stated that he has another five years worth of GL stories left him and basically DC has given him carte blanch over the character as they have Grant Morrison with Batman. I would personally like to see what someone like Paul Cornell would do with GL. I think that would be fascinating. GL hasn't been exciting since the Sinestro Corps War.

13. Hound of UIster

The chances of Johns leaving probably depends on how long Doug Mahnk is on the book.

I think Dan Abnett or Andy Lanning would do wonders with GL just like they did with War of Kings, Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy.

But I doubt either them or Cornell are likely to succeed Johns. The odds are it's either Pete Tomasi (whose writing is typically blood and guts) or Tony Bedard (whose writing is just uninspiring).

I would really like for the writers to concentrate on exploring more of the other corps. I just dont think they are doing a very good job with the current writers.

Milligan in particular is wtf! He could do wonders exploring the whole magic angle with the Reds, but the stuff he is doing currently is just dumb.

14. Hound of UIster

I don't read OMAC, but the artist is Keith Giffen, I very much doubt there is an art problem there with him.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Eh, I disagree. I've read Batwoman 1 and 2 twice and it didn't grab me. There's quite a bit of competency in there, sure, but overall it's tone and look just didn't ring well with me, nor did the story grab me.

It may work for some, but...

Batgirl, as I said above, is sort of fun and there's even a nice touch there with Barbra still dealing with some PTSD from her crippling injury she's now recovered from. At this point the only thing I don't like about it is her roommate at her new apartment but that's likely to be a pretty minor character.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  16. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The coloring struck me as a little too much.

17. DarKush

Good point about American Vampire. Well, maybe an I, Vampire miniseries from Vertigo, or I wish it was at another company. I just don't see how it fits within the DCU.

18. DarKush

Putting Mr. Terrific in Justice League isn't a bad idea. I was thinking that they should've gone with Black Lightning instead of Cyborg (keeping Cy in the Teen Titans primarily). Captain Atom is going to be a tough sell. I thought the first issue was okay, but not gripping enough to keep me coming back. I just feel the character doesn't have much going for him beyond his look, not when you've got more dynamic characters which seem to share some of Atom's powerset.

I'm one of the few that don't mind Liefeld's artwork on Hawk & Dove. I haven't tried H&D yet because I had to draw the line somewhere.

Blue Beetle isn't perfect, but it is better than Static at present. I think Jamie's uniqueness has been better established, his supporting cast better fleshed out, and the Reach are more interesting as threats than Virgil's Slate Gang. I'm curious to see what villains he will have beyond the Reach.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't mind if people continue talking about Action here. I don't think it's taken over the thread that badly, and I intended this to be a thread for any or all of the New 52.
    But I was thinking it might be a good idea to start a new thread for the whole line.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't what dominates this thread tend to depend on what comics have been released in the previous few days?