How is Janeway sexy? (Part II)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Adm_Hawthorne, Oct 24, 2011.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Janeway because she is fiction, and most of my desires are directed at fiction. Kate Mulgrew because she's older than Janeway and I do appreciate older women. Really I think they are both beautiful, dynamic, nuanced people and the more you see of KM the more you realize how much of herself she put into the character.

(As an example of my preference for fiction, I am pretty much in love with NuSpock but I have no real interest in Quinto. I like characters. KM is one of the few exceptions and really the only actor I have that kind of adoration for.)

Who do YOU like? Oh and nice to see you around DA.

2. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

Yes, nicely put. I particularly like the Spock/Quinto point: Spock's just a brilliant character (in TOS/TNG and Abrams), no actor can live up to him--not even Nimoy, who packs some gravitas.

On Janeway and Mulgrew, I'm really not sure. Janeway, at her best (i.e. when she's scripted properly) is an excellent character: brave, smart, warm, but also capable of recklessness, obsessiveness, and a certain cocksure command style more reminiscent of Kirk than any of the other modern captains.

But, despite how attractive this makes her, I can't help thinking that we wouldn't get along...

Mulgrew I know very little of--I've not seen her any anything else. But, in general, I'm rarely very interested in actresses. She seems to have more depth than the average starlet--and that voice--but I think I prefer the captain. As you suggest: characters usually have the existential jump on those who portray them.

Of all the female characters in Star Trek, I'm most attracted to Major Kira and Seven of Nine (which is odd, as I rarely notice blondes). Both are strong, loyal, intelligent characters who have 'authority issues' and vulnerabilities caused by trauma.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome.

3. BirdInJetstream

BirdInJetstream Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For teacake. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. teacake

Oh she wouldn't notice me at all, and if she did notice me it would be "straighten up ensign, you're out of uniform" and "that's an order ensign, you don't get to choose what planets you beam down to, risk is part of the job." No you will never find me in any kind of quasi-military hierarchy. I would have been one of the Maquis, a very maladjusted one who you never saw again because the only task she had was forever scrubbing plasma conduits.

Thank goodness it's all fiction.

I do find strong women attractive but if I was to look around for women IRL that fit that bill they wouldn't be wielding compression phaser rifles. They would be determined people who charted their course in life with minimal influence from societal expectations. Or they would be women who put their family first in ways that passed their strength down to the next generation. Women who thought long and deep on what their values were. Now certainly we can find all those things in Captain Janeway (other than societal expectations perhaps as the Federation is a magical place where everyone can do everything). But we also get :

[​IMG]

And that's HOT.

If I saw someone out in the street like this I'd call the cops and hide, hahaha

It's funny how some people are just not into fiction.. if you tell them that a fictional character is a role model they are bemused at best. I've got more in common with an 8 year old boy running around playing Star Wars than with a lot of adults :confused: I do apply a lot of fiction to my real life, it's like having a whole alternate reality to tap into. Yes the Doctor is coming for me now.. any Doctor will do, the EMH, the Tardis, the lovely Bashir..
    7 is my favorite ever fictional character and it has nothing to do with her looks. I don't relate to her as hot or beautiful, it's all about her journey to overcome what happened to her and to rediscover and reinvent who she is. I'm never drooling over 7. I do get oddly defensive of her when she is attacked as being all about the T and A or whatever.

Kira grew on me with repeated viewings. I particularly like her struggle with her faith and Sisko, as well as her conflict with Kai Winn (who I think is fabulous character with the best acting in the series).

5. teacake

Wow, this one is just beautiful. I wonder what the drink is.

:) Thank you!

6. DAYoung

This well describes my unashamed lust for Anne Elliot, from Austen's Persuasion.

Yes, I agree with all of this. She was, unfortunately, over-used (or, rather, others were under-used). But an excellent character, which allowed the series to overcome its moribund plotting and characterisation.

The relationship between Seven of Nine and Janeway is one of the best in Star Trek. Even without the slash parts (which make more sense than Janeway and Irish holograms), it's well rendered and acted.

To be honest, I'd have watched DS9 without Sisko--just Kira, Kai Winn, and some of the stronger actors and characters.

7. teacake

Is your Elliot list inspired by one of the films/series or by the book with your own visuals provided? I ask because many seem very taken with Austen on tv but I've always found the characters in the books more compelling.

Sisko really isn't that interesting, but he's a necessary door stop to all the drama that swirls around him. If he wasn't a prophet he'd be deadly dull. I could have done with a lot more Kai Winn, though we did get some wonderful scenes with her Dukat story line.

gah every time I talk about DS9 the urge to do a total rewatch is upon me.

8. DAYoung

Definitely the books. I like the recent BBC television adaptations, but the books are what enlusted me (the amorous version of enlisting).

See, Kai Winn is a character I find very sexy. Odd, isn't it.

Recently downloaded the whole of DS9 series 7 on iTunes. I didn't realise how BAD some of it is. The best episode so far has been 'Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges'. But Bashir should've been more compromised (or at least more anguished). It reminded me of why Ronald D. Moore left the franchise.

9. teacake

Wow DA you're the only person I've seen say that beside me.

She exudes an animal sensuality. She's very seductive and I think has entranced many a follower who are less inspired by the usual beige bajoran piousness. Really, she's a cult leader.

Tell me you think Lwaxana is hot too.

As to DS9 badness.. I've got some condition where the more I chew the Trek cud the more I enjoy it so episodes I thought appalling on the first run through I now am filled with sentiment for. False Profits isn't one of them though.. and The Reckoning should be airlocked.

10. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kira looks the best of them all, Janeway would come second. Like Teacake I have a thing for older woman, something about the imperfections of age increasing their beauty or something... The strange thing is 7 looks plainer without her Borg facial pieces so imperfection complements perfection, if that makes any sense.

But I do enjoy strong female characters, not the warrior Sarah Conner sort but ones who are strong in their believes, will fight for what is right and for what they perceive to be the greater good and yet they just want a normal life yet circumstances dictate otherwise.

Kai Winn would have good looks if it weren't for her ugly actions, the fact that I want to throttle her in every scene for her condescending nature does not help either...

Ronald D. Moore wanted to leave when DS9 ended but he was tempted to still dabble with Star Trek so he became a producer for Voyager, unfortunately VOY is not DS9, it never matched up to that complexity, that richness, or diversity, intrigue and interest of the the characters. Moore realised this and combined with his dislike of VOY's direction (or lack of it) he left early in season 6 due to season 6 of VOY merely running on vapours. There were good episodes but when you really watch it closely you realise that something is missing.

Quality Trek ended with DS9 while a bold-let's-experiment Trek resurfaced with seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise. ENT emulated DS9 later on and at least it tried towards the end (barring TATV).

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
  12. DAYoung

She's the only sexy thing about Bajor.

Only when she cuts out the "Sacred Chalice of Rixx" bombast, takes off her wig, and lets Odo sleep in her lap.

Unfortunately BSG culled much of my sentiment. But Ferrengi shows are often the worst.

I realised, watching DS9 again, that the chief problem with Ezri is that de Boer can't do cute-and-ditzy. Really. She looks the 'cute' part, but her dramatic scenes (e.g. in 'Prodigal Daughter') are more convincing than her 'I'm a flake' scenes.

13. DAYoung

Makes perfect sense.

On Kira, Nana Visitor is a fine actress, but she also has a fantastic swagger that she brings to the role. Major Kira walks like someone who backs herself.

I agree on the fall from DS9 to Voyager. That Janeway still leaves such a bold impression is due, at least in part, to Mulgrew's fantastic performance, and the odd bit of good writing. The introduction of Seven of Nine, as I suggested above, added an important new relationship with the captain, which Chuckles wasn't providing.

I may be pilloried for saying so on the BBS, but Enterprise was superior to Voyager. If only because of its later story arcs and acting. But, again, it was ruined by lazy writing.

14. teacake

How... HOW is Janeway sexy?

(a Spalko creation)

[​IMG]

15. teacake

I have 9 minutes of electricity left. NINE MINUTES. And then those jerks will be fixing something in the street all day.

[​IMG]

Time for sweet, sweet darkness.

16. Maple Dog

Maple Dog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Don't know why,but scar makes her sexier.

OK OK i'm a freakazoid.

17. teacake

Of course it does.

18. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Now you know why Kove wears an eyepatch. ;)

19. delenn13

delenn13 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

20. teacake

Well I finally got around to buying Dragon Age II but I still haven't played it.