Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Sep 7, 2012.

?

How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2013.
  1. I LOVE them together! :)

47.5%
  2. I generally think they’re okay together.

18.0%
  3. Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together.

21.3%
  4. I HATE them together. :o

13.1%
  1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You might want to rewatch "Balance of Terror" or "The Lights of Zetar" which directly contradict what you're saying.

You're mistakenly applying TNG-era Starfleet rules to a TOS movie.

Oh wait, then there's Riker and Troi, who got married... Worf and Troi before that... Picard and Beverly...

Oh wait, wait! Worf and Dax in DS9, Tom and B'Elanna in Voyager.
    You mean her unparalleled ability to identify sonic anomalies in subspace transmission tests? What a whore!
    :rolleyes:

2. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

@ jjabrams (<-- ironical that someone with this nick posts he/she hates the relationship when the real JJ Abrams loves it instead and they were one of his reasons for directing the first movie :lol:)

this is how S/U started dating, from the comics (that Orci oversees)
    [​IMG]
    (Uhura :luvlove: just whoa... this is "how to ask a vulcan out for a date 101" take notes guys :lol: )
    (eta: this is the first part just in case you want to see "professor Spock" in action: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1302/19/startrek182.htm )

..that was one year prior the battle of vulcan
    which means that including the events from the sequel these two are couple since 3 years.

and this is what Orci said about relationships aboard the ship:
    "Who is to say that in a futuristic utopia-ish society, workplace romance is a no-no? Perhaps it’s fine and allowed. After all, NASA is already having to deal with the potential sexual health of astronauts as they ponder prolonged space flight. May not be unprofessional at all at Starfleet. That view may simply be a remnant of our puritanical society that Starfleet outgrew."
    (though canon has already provided enough examples to support that such relationships aren't forbidden)

:guffaw:

eta: it was AURAL sensibility not oral :lol:

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I also hate the farm animals line. It and the casting of Sarek were the only things I didn't absolutely love with all my heart about 2009. But the oral deal I thought cute.

4. seven14

seven14 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yep, nearly one of the oldest double entendre in the book.

At the time in the movie I took it for aural as Uhura had already told Kirk in the bar (I believe) that she was studying communications and then in her bedroom she was excitedly speaking of this Romulan anomaly that she picked up from transmissions...so the scene with Spock and Uhura was the perfect place for the writers to have a "Tee Hee" moment seeing if we, in the audience, could demonstrate any degree of aural sensitivity as well.

It definitely would have been horrible if Uhura had dropped her voice a few octaves...run her hand across Spock's arm and let her fingers linger with his...but in no way was her speech to him suggestive. She strided up to him purposefully...she approached him with confidence, respect, and presented her case clearly and succinctly all of which made him take the personal (their relationship) out of the professional (His decision to assign her to the Farragut).

We all see things differently and there are plenty who do not like this relationship for a myriad of reasons---such is life.

@Malaika :techman:you lovely, are always bringing the knowledge!!! Thank you so much...before you I did not know these ST comics existed...and just recently found out about Alan Dean Foster who has been writing Star Trek novels (as well as other novels) for years and years!! I hope you have time to post more links because this is exactly what I want to read the genesis of the relationship and to read the things we don't see in the movies because it's not a S/U movie..."whispering" I only wish it was ;)

5. Malaika

my impression is that she knew she'd get assigned to the enterprise so when she heard "farragut" instead she knew that only one person could have changed it (and why, that had nothing to do with her abilities) and it was Spock that's why she went directly to him (the expression on her face there was priceless. She just knew it was his fault)
    how she'd knew it one can ask? I'd assume that each cadet that wanted to get aboard the flagship had to gain a certain amount of credits/achievements.. I mean it's only fair that only the best cadets would get aboard the best ships and them being in the list of the "best" had to be documented by facts and not just the word of their instructors.
    well, some of her achievements at the academy were pretty impressive and unique for a cadet
    “Did I not receive a gold rating for xenolinguistic skills in all categories, from constructive verbalizations to click, whistle, and atmospheric manipulations of all kinds, giving the Academy first place over Kyoto and MIT at the Oxford Linguistics Invitational?”
    - from Alan Dean Foster novelization of the first movie
    and Spock didn't even try to deny her logic because her competence or lack of wasn't in question there nor it was his reason for putting her on the Farragut. The reason was to avoid the appearance of favoritism, as he stated himself.
    In short because she's his girlfriend he overcompensated but her argument was valid and he quickly corrected the mistake.
    It's interesting that in that instance the one ruled by emotion and the one that brought their relationship in the topic was only HIM.

the funniest bit is when in star trek into darkness Uhura is talking with the Klingons and Kirk wants to intervene but Spock is like:
    if you interrupt her now, you will not only incur the wrath of the Klingons… but that of Lieutenant Uhura, as well.
    he knows better :guffaw:

honestly I think that the fact he trusts her so much and she doesn't take his crap might be a huge factor in why they work as a couple.
    The risk when dealing with someone like Spock is that in trying to accept him for who he's (which is good and fundamental to have a relationship of any sort with him) you might end up giving him a "free pass" after another justifying everything with "he's half vulcan" when really he's a person like anyone who can do stupid things too just because he does them not because he's vulcan or human. I think nuUhura has found this balance or at least she's trying to.

for the comics I suggest star trek ongoing #18 (that's the comic posted above) while for the novels you can read the Starfleet Academy novel series that also have some of their backstory. I have read them all and liked them.

6. jjabrams

jjabrams Cadet

AGAIN, it is about SUPERVISION. The first officer has direct supervision over all the bridge crew.

Troi was NOT a bridge crew member - and was in the Science/Medical section anyhow- and for most of the show was not even an officer AT ALL and was in fact a civilian (hence the non-federation outfits she wore)

I do however, have issues with the fact that she was the ship's councilor and in fact Riker had used her services. There were other councilor's onboard and it was never made clear if Riker (and Worf) stopped using her services "professionally". Perhaps an ethics violation is in order for her? But, it would not be a federation complaint...

Worf and Dax - again they were co-workers - not supervisory. BOTH were Lt. Commanders at the time their relationship started.

Paris and B'Elanna again, Tom bridge officer - B'Elanna ENGINEERING. And, AGAIN Tom did not supervise B'Elanna or visa versa as Tom's supervisor was Chakotay and B'Elanna was chief engineer - maybe reporting to Chakotay but probably directly to the captain as she was her department head.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^But the couple in "Balance of Terror"?

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The "oral" bit - how quaint. [​IMG]

I recommend putting in some time reading the forum. You know: bring the shtick a little closer to current. [Edit: And mind your quote tags, please; you had your words and CommishSleer's reading as if they were written by the same person. Fixed now. - M']

:snerk:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  9. seven14

Totally!!! 100% agree!! ;) I loved that they showed the development of the trio's friendship and closeness of Uhura with Kirk. I would also have enjoyed a domestic scene of Uhura and Spock playing some board game and Kirk dropping by because his three-some fell through (or whatever :) ) and just being bored out his mind by S/U until they take pity on him and invite him to play as well. Kirk's phone will go off in his pocket 3 times before Spock hears it and realizes that he's staying for them.

Thank you so much for this link I will check it out and hopefully add to my library. :)

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I still want the trio to be Kirk/Spock/McCoy. I want the bromance.
    That's my only objection to the Uhura/Spock thing. I think they can still do both though.

The girl in the couple in 'Balance of Terror' had to move sections so that she was not under her husband's supervision.
    I think romances between shipmates is inevitable as are workplace romances where I met my husband.
    The problem between Spock/Uhura would be if Spock gave her undeserved good grades or refused to let her on dangerous missions. We can see in STID that Spock insisted Uhura be allowed on the dangerous mission and it was Kirk that objected.

11. seven14

I've always felt the bromance in TOS and still do actually with the Reboot, but on the ship.

I could never imagine Bones hanging out with any of them outside of the ship. I've also always felt Bones is a lovely but grumbly older brother to both Spock and especially Kirk. From the original series I always thought Bones had a warm and friendly relationship with Uhura, but I just got the impression that he needed his space from them and they respectfully gave it to him. Karl U has definitely captured DeForest Kelley's Bones in the Reboot.

With Karl being much younger than DeForest, I can easily imagine Bones now accepting the invitations to S/U's dinners or pub crawls (I'm rather boring myself actually lol) just so that he can meet Kirk's latest 6ft tall, green haired, blue skinned conquest.
    Bones will shake her hand politely and then totally embarrass everyone but Spock by requiring 4 repeats of her name before he complains it's too long and unpronounceable, so he'll just call her "Gia" for short..even-though it begins with an S...no offense. :)
    Spock will abscond to the Kitchen and Uhura will pull Bones to the sofa to sit with her, as she narrowly avoids disaster when she notices him eyeing his favorite cushion on the love-seat being crushed as "Gia" arranges herself comfortably. Not as "under his breath," as Kirk, Uhura, and "Gia" would like, Bones will wonder why her skin is blue and just why it is Kirk couldn't just find him a nice, ordinary human!
    Kirk, will finally let out the breath he's been holding in, when Uhura mercifully and none too gently tugs Bones into the kitchen with Spock as he puts the finishing touches to their meal.
    Spock and Uhura will both stare at him until he exasperatedly yells, "What, he brings to dinner a blue skinned amazon and I get the stares?"

Spock stiffens up, Uhura cracks up, and Bones loosens up with a smile.

Meanwhile Kirk is fuming with "Gia" of all people, as he locates her clutch and sees her out the door. Kirk had apologized and offered to "speak to" Bones about his behavior, but "Gia" interrupted him by exclaiming that she didn't know he was inviting her to eat, an "out of this world gourmet meal" at his weird 1st officer's apartment with an added side dish of psycho uncle. He doubted Uhura would take too kindly to Gia's" parting message that,"they could "hook up" sometime if she wanted to send her a text."

Spock knows his love so well! ;)

12. teacake

I watched the movie for the 6th time today. I thought it was especially touching how at the end when Spock's told he can be beamed down to Khan's location he looks to Uhura to see what her response is to him heading into that possibly deadly situation. Of course he's not asking permission, but he's saying "I know this effects you". And she gives him her blessing because she knows he cares. It's this subtlety that makes me so happy with the relationship.

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Federation doesn't actually exist : /

I dislike the Spock / Uhura relationship but that's just silly.

14. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

My understanding is that the First Officer is pretty much the supervisor of the whole ship with the captain as its boss.

And anyway, you still have Trip/T'Pol, and Odo/Kira, and probably some other people I'm not thinking about now. You can say that well they work in different departments, but really, those departments still report to the Captain and First Officer at the end of it all. Odo used to go over the daily security reports with Kira as she was the second in command at the station. That's part of how he developed his deep crush and love for her.

I think you are overreacting, but that's up to you.

15. Malaika

they could have an amazing OT4 dynamic and in part they do in the end when they all combine their efforts and save Kirk, no? I wanted to kiss Bones when he told Kirk that him and Uhura deserved some credit for saving him :lol: because Kirk was all about thanking Spock for saving his life

that's the reason why I love that scene.
    When she asks Kirk to go outside alone and try to talk with the klingons the camera focuses on Spock's face and you can tell that he doesn't like the plan and the idea of her getting in danger BUT he doesn't stop her because he has faith she can do it and he trusts her and her abilities.
    This ladies and gentlemen is a relationship where both parts are equal. She's a woman and she's his girlfriend but she also is an officer and he believes in her.
    With all the complains about Uhura worrying about her boyfriend she actually did the same thing at the beginning when he went in that volcano. She was supportive the whole time, confident he could make it. She was worried but she tried to hide it well, it was only visible on her face when he was gone. But she never stopped him or tried to stop him.
    The reason she was angry later wasn't because he was willing to risk his life for a mission, she was angry because from her pov it seemed like he had a death wish and he didn't care if he lived or died.

btw, this is one of my favorite scenes between them in the movie
    http://youtu.be/_u-3ty4fS2Y

the whole teasing "you sure you don't want me to go instead?" after she had just finished putting the last piece of that suit on him :guffaw: and of course he doesn't understand she's joking "that would be highly illogical as I'm already outfitted" note: not illogical because the job is dangerous and you're my gal and I don't want you to get in danger. It's illogical because I'm already wearing this stupid thing. :lol:

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Spock and Uhura stuff in STID was awesome.

17. seven14

That was a one of the few happy moments that I had ,after viewing STID the 1st time, was Bones line. After the earlier scene of Uhura being just as frightened for Bones as Kirk and by her comforting Kirk after Bones was safe, I knew they were all friends not just Spock/Kirk or Kirk/Bones and Spock/Uhura but all 4 are best friends who don't hesitate to meet up outside of work for fun.

Bones who is always so grumpy sounding is nothing but a softee and I think a S/U shipper lol actually took the time to include Uhura when he could have said "well I had something to do with it too' and no one would have batted an eye because he is the Dr and he worked fast to get Kirk placed on ice after he put 2 and 2 together about Khan's blood. For him to acknowledge Uhura's courage in beaming down onto a moving platform to neutralize Khan and bring him back with Spock was very powerful to me.

Upon my second viewing this feeling of OT4 was only reinforced and now that I will buy the DVD it is something that I will love seeing again and again.

I really don't understand the complaints about Uhura being girly and unprofessional (my words) that I have read. I think she was professional through-out. Uhura by herself - without Spock is a very strong, confident, contained person as well as a very professional soldier. She has always been a strong person and would have always succeeded and excelled. With her scenes in STID I never got the sense that she was trying to hold him back and manipulate him with her feeling to get him to behave the way she wanted him to behave - I always got where she was coming from - it's sad for me to admit but I think because I couldn't see hand-holding I ignored all the other instances of real growth but I've come around and I wish others would give really give the relationship and chance so they can see all the nuances and realness that we see here in this thread and on the S/U loving tumblrs and such.

18. seven14

You're very succinct @Admiral Buzzhill :) but would you feel as if you are beating a dead horse if I asked you to expand and share more of your opinion. Did you also see the movie on IMAX? Maybe you saw STID in 2D as I seem to be the only one who had trouble seeing what I wanted to see (physical touches) in that format.

Previous post of yours states they showed growth in STID and now the stuff was awesome....share more please :)

19. teacake

Don't worry. Pon farr is coming.

20. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

:eek: Run Uhura Run!!!!!! :eek: