Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^I don't know about last night's ratings, but last week beat NCIS in the most desired demographics.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

NCIS beat SHIELD in the 18-49 demo this week

http://tvline.com/2013/10/16/ratings-ncis-agents-of-shield-biggest-loser

3. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool. I want a Frog-Man show.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The plot was forgettable, but the characters and set-up are I think pretty viable fodder for a TV adaptation and the younger teen demographic may be appealing to the suits. Think a similar approach to how the Walking Dead was adapted. That took the basic premise, some of the key characters and events but just went their own way with it.

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

So beating girls is ok but when you hit a kid you get punished?

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I was talking about the actual fight. Clearly he took so long getting involved because he wasn't sure he wanted to. Ron Perlman's character basically says everything that'd been running through Castle's head upto that point. Indeed, his character couldn't be any more symbolic. I mean come on, he's a guy who has quite literally been paralysed into inaction!

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Looks like there's a deal with Netflix to bring 4 series of at least 13 episodes for multiple years plus a mini-series, and an exclusivity deal for Disney's films starting 2016.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Looks interesting, if overly ambitious. It shows not only the faith Marvel has in their programming, but in the faith they have in Agent's of SHIELD. I'll probably get a Netflix account again for this. Daredevil is really the only one I care about, but I think the long-format will be better. It's a shame Hell's Kitchen isn't as shitty as it once was (OK, for the people living there, it probably isn't), but the Marvel Universe is slightly different from ours, so that's ok. I think the extra space will let them devote some time to Matt Murdock the attorney as well as Daredevil the character. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can come up with.

ETA: I know next to nothing about the Defenders. A quick wikipedia search says at least Iron Fist and Luke Cage are involved (and Jessica Jones has connections to Luke Cage), so that could work out. Daredevil doesn't seem to have real connections, but I'd have no problem with him joining with them to make this work out. It seems fun and a good way to use these characters. Although it does suggest no real Agents of SHIELD use of these characters (except perhaps in a tie-in/spinoff episode).

9. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

So when will Netflix raise the rates? No way they can continue to keep buying up original programming and movie deals on $8 per subscriber. Still a good deal at twice the price and by 2016 it might be there.

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I don't know, you pay less than we do at £6 a month but you can say it's probably over $300m per month they're bringing in and more for every new subscriber these deals bring in.

11. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, but that also has to go to other licensing fees as well. It's definitely the HBO model and it'll hopefully work out, but it does feel a bit on the low side.

12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

No Netflix here.

13. Alidar Jarok

You can't even stream netflix?

14. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

This is so epic.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm as die-hard an MCU fan as anyone, but, man... this all sounds kinda overwhelming, and maybe not in the good way. We'll see? As always, Sean O'Neal of the AV Club puts it best:

Forming a super-team of the kind that media fanboys only dreamed of in their speculative fiction, Marvel and Netflix have joined forces to produce four original live-action series, a partnership that promises to safeguard the world against the threats of not having superheroes on every single entertainment platform and maybe going outside sometimes. The dynamically profitable duo will vanquish these beginning in 2015, with four thirteen-episode series based on Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage—all culminating in a The Defenders “miniseries event,” in which a team of Marvel heroes will once more tentatively assemble, albeit in a way that’s a little less proactively “avenging” and a lot more defensive. (“Oh, I guess M.O.D.O.K. killing everyone is our problem, because The Avengers are too busy with the important stuff…”)

16. Alidar Jarok

So random thought. Is Kingpin Daredevil or Spiderman? Daredevil struck me as one of the more grounded heroes and Kingpin could do a lot to keep him grounded. It also works well with the idea of him being in Hell's Kitchen and dealing with the poor and downtrodden who are being exploited by people like Kingpin. But, of course, they don't have to go that route.

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The Netflix deal is being sorely mis-branded. Yes, I know it says there in the description it says
    but why not just say what this is...Heroes for Hire, guest starring Daredevil.
    It's not the Defenders, not in the myriad of permutations that team name has been applied do these 4 characters resemble Defenders. They are Heroes for Hire, with DD doing pro bono assistance.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just looked on Wikipedia, and the only one of the four who's never been on The Defenders team is Jessica Jones. It has DD down as a '70s recruit.
    I wonder if this will be part of the MCU, or it's own separate universe?

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I had the thought that the Battle of New York probably damaged the city's economy, so the MCU's Clinton/Hell's Kitchen could've backslid somewhat from its real-world gentrification. That would justify it being more like the comics' version.

Wikipedia's List of Defenders members does include Ol' Hornhead as a recurring/associate member.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Kingpin was in the Daredevil movie, so I assume Marvel got him back with the DD rights.