Submit TNG production questions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by 22 Stars, Feb 3, 2012.

1. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Hey guys, post any questions you may have about the day to day production of TNG. I will be talking to someone on Monday after work, who worked on TNG, in prep for their sit-down interview for the TNG-R bonus content.

They are looking to jog their memory about funny stories or details so feel free to post any general or specific questions before Monday, 5pm and I will see what I can do!

2. lewisniven

lewisniven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How far ahead were the writers thinking with regard to character development? Was it like 'this season we'll explorer characters x, y and z', or did it take more of a 'we've not done a lot with character x for a while, lets give him a story' type approach?

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

What kind of info arethe bluray makers looking for from her, and does she know if there is a long documentary involved with project.

Does she have any funny anecdotes :-)

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

What were the best foods on the craft services table?

5. 22 Stars

No details yet. Just the invite to be interviewed. Will keep you posted. And yes, she does.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Were there any plans on how Yar's character would develop in the second season before Denise Crosby decided to leave the show?

7. 22 Stars

Ooh, my friend joined the production in the second season, but I will pass this along. She was there however when Crosby came back, I'll ask her about that.

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

:techman: It would be interesting to know how/if they would have developed a relationship between her and Data.

9. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Are the bloopers intact? Where there bloopers for every season? Was a blooper reel made for every season? We want bloopers damnit! Bloopers are a must!

Patrick Stewart was on a talk show here and he said during one scene where he is speaking to an alien on the viewscreen from the captains chair he actually fell asleep when he was supposed to give his line, he stated the blooper is locked away in Paramount somewhere, we need to see this :D

10. 22 Stars

lol, so is it bloopers you are interested in? ;)

11. Flake

They all had so much fun on that set so we need to see more from behind the scenes when they where actually filming. Apart from the bootleg gag reels on youtube and the Reading Rainbow episode, we have barely any footage from filming apart from the show itself. It would be great to see more :)

12. 22 Stars

I agree!

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately I think Stewart has always been vehemently against releasing the bloopers, so I doubt we'll ever see them.

14. 22 Stars

Ya, I will ask if they did the reels each year (most shows do) and see if she knows if it was RB or PS or why exactly they haven't been shared.

15. Flake

I always heard it was Berman who didn't want them released however I am uncertain of that because Enterprise had blooper reels made and released..... it would be a shame to not see them but if Patrick Stewart is against it then I suppose we will never see them. Someone needs to ask about this at a convention.

16. 22 Stars

Don't worry I'll find out.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Did the shift in visual style in season three happen because of a change in cinematographers, an edict by Rick Berman, studio pressure, something else, or a combination of those?

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I think it's tough to know what kinds of questions to ask without knowing even vaguely in which capacity/department this person worked.

19. 22 Stars

I understand. Producer and Post Production, various positions through TNG and early VOY

20. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

When the shows were being produced, did the producers ever put any though into how the shows might be transferred to and aired in HD one day (kind of like how Babylon 5 was produced), besides just shooting on film?

And what type of lenses and film stock were used? I know that the Reeves-Stevens book "The Making of Deep Space Nine" mentions that TNG used 24mm lenses and DS9 used 20mm lenses, but were you shooting on Super 35 or regular 35 with Wide Angle lenses? Did you do any shooting with anamorphic or hard matte boxes?